Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by fixall »

I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed my Bowie last night and the action is pretty phenomenal now. The Bowie is also ridiculously easy to take apart and put back together.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 pm
Chapp wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Are we really still doing this?

There IS risk in doing these runs, regardless of popularity. What is the actual market size? Can you quantify it, to an exact number? Absolutely not and that means, RISK...

Putting words in bold doesn't make them ring more true. Some people are really bad at reading the market and it's ok. I still see people conflicting their desire for the reality. Some people wished for the Slysz Bowie to fail, or wanted to pain it as being too "risky" because they can't connect with the knife.

Regarding your questions : they're irrelevant. You don't need exact numbers about the market to release a knife. It's a passion-driven market. The knife market isn't about timing it, but reading it.

If anyone thought there would be a risk in re-releasing the Slysz Bowie, they need to learn more about the knife market and this industry in general... or just be more humble. I wrote more than anyone else on the topic. It's not like I was just going full drive-by and... I was right, like many others. There was no risk involved, unless you're really business-unsavvy, which again, is ok. It was probably the easiest prediction I've ever done in my life and probably the easiest cash that small retailer made in their whole history.

Now we're all waiting for Spyderco to make a proper re-release. I don't think there's much more to say. That ground breaking release got some people vindicated and it's hard to argue otherwise now... Even by putting words in BOLD and FULL CAPS. It's too late for that. ;)
If you think a small business putting down very likely somewhere close to $200,000 for 600 pieces of a single item and waiting months for delivery isn't a risk you don't what risk is. You're just mad because you couldn't get one since you live in Europe. If there really is no risk, then surely a European dealer will commission an exclusive run of the SB that you can get.

The "You're just jealous!" aspect of serious reasioning is usually underlined by denying any valid point, tearful crying and stomping away. Since we can't tell for sure, we have to assume all rules were followed.

notorious fidgeteer
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm

The "You're just jealous!" aspect of serious reasioning is usually underlined by denying any valid point, tearful crying and stomping away. Since we can't tell for sure, we have to assume all rules were followed.

Nice of you to share a gif of yourself :D .

Again, if there's no risk in commissioning an exclusive run of the SB, then get a European dealer to do it. Better yet, contact your dealer of choice, and foot the bill yourself with a profit sharing agreement on the run. Use your own money, or take out a loan yourself to pay for the run. If there's no risk, then certainly it's worth the guaranteed return on investment. If you don't have the equivalent of $200,000 in whatever your country's currency is, then certainly your bank will loan you the money, since it's a zero risk proposition. Get back to me once you've secured your exclusive run.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:30 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:26 am
Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 am

If we're talking about Spyderco knives in general, the Heinnie Haynes UKPK exclusive comes to mind.
The same example came to my mind.

I would add that, except for rare exceptions like that of HH, it is highly unlikely that European dealers will commission exclusives as it requires paying upfront for 600+ units of a given model. It seems that they tend to have very few units in stock (probably because it takes time to sell them) and when they do it quickly they ask Spyderco again for only a few ... just in case.

I wanted to buy a Spyderco from Lamnia and they did not have it so I asked to be notified by email when it arrived. I received the email a couple of months later and I tried to buy it as soon as I got home (about 30 minutes later). Out-of-stock again. So they only probably received a couple of units and two other people who received the same email were faster than me though it was not one of those models for which people spend a night without sleep to get one of the 600 units that are offered.

I bought my Janisong from Lamnia. The weird thing about it was, while their other regular Spydercos usually cost an arm and a leg (after conversion to my currency), the Janisong was surprisingly, fairly priced, less than 200 US dollars. Given how complicated the construction of the knife is, I was expecting it to cost 300 dollars or more.
For once the tables are turned. The cheapest I have seen a Janisong for sale for here in the US was $400. I would eagerly buy one for $200.

Darby, Menipo,

I bought mine for about $180+ last year (w/out shipping), I never knew they increased the cost to 200 dollars. But for what its worth, if you can find one shipped under 300, it's a great knife and worthy of any Spydie fans' collection.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 am
Chapp wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm
[...]

Now we're all waiting for Spyderco to make a proper re-release. I don't think there's much more to say.

[...]

It does not seem that this is going to happen in the next few years ... Because if the models that Sal says are already waiting for the production line take a year or more to hit the market, if there are no immediate plans ...

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi Aaron,

It is an "Exclusive" for a dealer/distributor. Their request. When the model first came out, it was not in demand and it was disco'd. We have no immediate plans to make one at this time. I understand the Exclusive was or is being re-ordered and there are some other requests as well.

Right now, we're not had any problems with the lock bar and wear with the original. The R&D time to re-engineer the lock to have a bar could cause a delays in production. Eric is making that decision.

sal
Plan can change and usually they do. Some months ago, people told me a bunch of whatever excuses they could find to convince me the SB was buried forever because yada yada too expansive yada yada inflated demand. Outside of some people who don't know when to take the L and move on, most of that noise has disappeared. Doubts are lifted.

Even if Spyderco initial plan doesn't change, waiting one or two years to see the SB back with some improvements and in an attractive color isn't too much to ask. That's quite reasonable. Spyderco have to train the people to do it properly and those stuff take time. It's better than Spyderco being blind to the obvious - huge - demand for the knife.

Now if the SB isn't back in 2 years, it's time to riot.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got the KnifeJoy exclusive, and though it's a solid knife...it's not something to rave and lose your mind about. I just don't see it with this knife, especially for the price. Sounds like Shabazz got you all jacked up like he did hundreds or thousands of others.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:52 am
I've got the KnifeJoy exclusive, and though it's a solid knife...it's not something to rave and lose your mind about. I just don't see it with this knife, especially for the price. Sounds like Shabazz got you all jacked up like he did hundreds or thousands of others.
I can almost guarantee the demand wouldn't be as huge as some seem to think. The first one or two runs might move pretty fast but it'll eventually become a slow mover just like the original. Maybe I'm wrong and Spyderco brings back a CQI'd version and everyone lives happily ever after.....until the next big thing lol
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I compiled all the prices I saw or could find from eBay, BF, and Reddit for the regular Slysz Bowies as well as the KJ Sprints that I saw sold from Mar1-Today. The original run seems to enjoy an average of $80 premium over the sprint, but there were significantly less original run sold during the timeframe so that number is less robust.

Random note, there were 3x as many clones sold on Reddit versus the real deal (ETA to clarify - users are allowed to sell clones on Reddit so they are disclosed as such voluntarily). I would assume a not insignificant number of C196s sold as real were fake, as well. There are versions of the clone that are visually indistinguishable from the real knife.

I think the hype was mostly fake, driven by a few very high value sales. This knife wasn't regularly selling for $800, or $1,000 like some would have you believe. Surely, it is a popular model, but overall much less so than the vocal minority has led on. I may continue to track the price, not sure if this is a worthwhile use of my time.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Maybe if they put some Tom Mayo-esque speedholes in the scales I'd start liking it.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

spoonrobot wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:45 pm
I compiled all the prices I saw or could find from eBay, BF, and Reddit for the regular Slysz Bowies as well as the KJ Sprints that I saw sold from Mar1-Today. The original run seems to enjoy an average of $80 premium over the sprint, but there were significantly less original run sold during the timeframe so that number is less robust.

Random note, there were 3x as many clones sold on Reddit versus the real deal (ETA to clarify - users are allowed to sell clones on Reddit so they are disclosed as such voluntarily). I would assume a not insignificant number of C196s sold as real were fake, as well. There are versions of the clone that are visually indistinguishable from the real knife.

I think the hype was mostly fake, driven by a few very high value sales. This knife wasn't regularly selling for $800, or $1,000 like some would have you believe. Surely, it is a popular model, but overall much less so than the vocal minority has led on. I may continue to track the price, not sure if this is a worthwhile use of my time.
Of course it's worth your time. It kind of establish that while the knife is popular, there's still an healthy reaction around it.

If one thing is and as always been clear : it's not a 500$+ knife. 450$ is fair since you somewhat get a wilder Sebenza, but without improvements, it's hard to justify more for it.

I could snatch two or three, even at 1000$, but I refuse to play that scalper game. It's ridiculous. You could almost buy a used car to someone in need for the price of a scalper SB and I better do that.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Chapp wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:47 am

Plan can change and usually they do. Some months ago, people told me a bunch of whatever excuses they could find to convince me the SB was buried forever because yada yada too expansive yada yada inflated demand. Outside of some people who don't know when to take the L and move on, most of that noise has disappeared. Doubts are lifted.

Even if Spyderco initial plan doesn't change, waiting one or two years to see the SB back with some improvements and in an attractive color isn't too much to ask. That's quite reasonable. Spyderco have to train the people to do it properly and those stuff take time. It's better than Spyderco being blind to the obvious - huge - demand for the knife.

Now if the SB isn't back in 2 years, it's time to riot.

Hope dies last
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Chapp wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:53 pm
If one thing is and as always been clear : it's not a 500$+ knife. 450$ is fair since you somewhat get a wilder Sebenza, but without improvements, it's hard to justify more for it.
I can 100% assure you this is an incorrect assumption/statement. Have you ever handled a Sebenza and SB together at the same time?? You wouldn't say that if you had. A wilder Sebenza hahaha!

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've never held a slysz bowie or a sebenza, but i can tell you both are over hyped and neither is worth the money. why anyone would pay $200+ for a single pocket tool they plan to actually use is beyond me. maybe that's just me though... i'm also the guy that won't buy a shaman because they are over hyped and over priced.

what drew me back to spyderco was that it was a clear step up from budget folders with cheap materials and poor quality to functional tools with better materials and reasonable prices. with cpi (constant price increases) and overpriced exclusives, i hope spyderco doesn't completely abandon that part of the market that many users used to appreciate them for filling.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

Danke wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm
Maybe if they put some Tom Mayo-esque speedholes in the scales I'd start liking it.

+1

The only way I would buy this knife at this price. But even then, I would prefer the original blade finish.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:00 pm
Chapp wrote:
I can 100% assure you this is an incorrect assumption/statement. Have you ever handled a Sebenza and SB together at the same time?? You wouldn't say that if you had. A wilder Sebenza hahaha!
One of the things I dislike the most about the SB is the blade shape. One of the things I like the most about the Sebs is the blade shape. Completely different knives IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 pm
i've never held a slysz bowie or a sebenza, but i can tell you both are over hyped and neither is worth the money. why anyone would pay $200+ for a single pocket tool they plan to actually use is beyond me. maybe that's just me though... i'm also the guy that won't buy a shaman because they are over hyped and over priced.

what drew me back to spyderco was that it was a clear step up from budget folders with cheap materials and poor quality to functional tools with better materials and reasonable prices. with cpi (constant price increases) and overpriced exclusives, i hope spyderco doesn't completely abandon that part of the market that many users used to appreciate them for filling.
I'd choose any of my Manix's 10 times out of 10 over the SB...Shaman too ;)

I'm at the point in my collection where I have plenty enough Spyderco users for work to keep me entertained, I've been having fun exploring other brands and materials lately though. It's fun to see what else is out there!

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Maybe "wilder" was a typo and he meant "wider"?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kobold

Post by kobold »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:00 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

I'm at the point in my collection where I have plenty enough Spyderco users for work to keep me entertained, I've been having fun exploring other brands and materials lately though. It's fun to see what else is out there!

If you like the Manix and Shaman blades, consider a Strider.
I just ordered the Protech Strider SnG Operator. Should be fun!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:00 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

i'm with you. i just have a different budget, apparently. ;) for example, i just got a 4max scout. it's a way better knife for hard use than the shaman, in my opinion, partially because it has a lesser blade steel, but also because of the stronger lock, bigger size, and much lower price.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:00 pm
Chapp wrote:
I have a Large Sebenza 31 in my collection for some months, but thanks for assuming I was speaking from the void. I won't take back what I said, the SB is a wilder Sebenza.

I know some people like to rave about Seb tight tolerance, but Taichung is close enough that no one would notice. Diminishing returns.

The only thing I'd give to the Seb over the SB is the bushing pivot and that you have the same amount of knife in a slimmer profile. Now that the Seb has adopted the ceramic ball, you can even argue that tolerance isn't what it was (since it introduces lock rock).