Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by TenGrainBread »

Love Pete's videos. I like how he mixes in an actual review and testing with some poking fun at "knife nerds".
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:05 pm
Love Pete's videos. I like how he mixes in an actual review and testing with some poking fun at "knife nerds".

Yeah, Pete's a gem ;)

His data is priceless, hundreds of knives consistently tested and never fails to be hilarious. He may not quite have the metallurgy background of someone like Michael Christy or Supersteel Steve (where's he gone btw?) but that doesn't take anything away from him. Great "real" knife channel.
notorious fidgeteer
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Are we really still doing this?

There IS risk in doing these runs, regardless of popularity. What is the actual market size? Can you quantify it, to an exact number? Absolutely not and that means, RISK...

Putting words in bold doesn't make them ring more true. Some people are really bad at reading the market and it's ok. I still see people conflicting their desire for the reality. Some people wished for the Slysz Bowie to fail, or wanted to pain it as being too "risky" because they can't connect with the knife.

Regarding your questions : they're irrelevant. You don't need exact numbers about the market to release a knife. It's a passion-driven market. The knife market isn't about timing it, but reading it.

If anyone thought there would be a risk in re-releasing the Slysz Bowie, they need to learn more about the knife market and this industry in general... or just be more humble. I wrote more than anyone else on the topic. It's not like I was just going full drive-by and... I was right, like many others. There was no risk involved, unless you're really business-unsavvy, which again, is ok. It was probably the easiest prediction I've ever done in my life and probably the easiest cash that small retailer made in their whole history.

Now we're all waiting for Spyderco to make a proper re-release. I don't think there's much more to say. That ground breaking release got some people vindicated and it's hard to argue otherwise now... Even by putting words in BOLD and FULL CAPS. It's too late for that. ;)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Chapp wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:15 pm
Are we really still doing this?

There IS risk in doing these runs, regardless of popularity. What is the actual market size? Can you quantify it, to an exact number? Absolutely not and that means, RISK...

Putting words in bold doesn't make them ring more true. Some people are really bad at reading the market and it's ok. I still see people conflicting their desire for the reality. Some people wished for the Slysz Bowie to fail, or wanted to pain it as being too "risky" because they can't connect with the knife.

Regarding your questions : they're irrelevant. You don't need exact numbers about the market to release a knife. It's a passion-driven market. The knife market isn't about timing it, but reading it.

If anyone thought there would be a risk in re-releasing the Slysz Bowie, they need to learn more about the knife market and this industry in general... or just be more humble. I wrote more than anyone else on the topic. It's not like I was just going full drive-by and... I was right, like many others. There was no risk involved, unless you're really business-unsavvy, which again, is ok. It was probably the easiest prediction I've ever done in my life and probably the easiest cash that small retailer made in their whole history.

Now we're all waiting for Spyderco to make a proper re-release. I don't think there's much more to say. That ground breaking release got some people vindicated and it's hard to argue otherwise now... Even by putting words in BOLD and FULL CAPS. It's too late for that. ;)
If you think a small business putting down very likely somewhere close to $200,000 for 600 pieces of a single item and waiting months for delivery isn't a risk you don't what risk is. You're just mad because you couldn't get one since you live in Europe. If there really is no risk, then surely a European dealer will commission an exclusive run of the SB that you can get.
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

Was there ever an exclusive for a European retailer, or a retailer outside the US?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

makawakaroni wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:34 am
Was there ever an exclusive for a European retailer, or a retailer outside the US?

If we're talking about Spyderco knives in general, the Heinnie Haynes UKPK exclusive comes to mind.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Chapp wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:04 pm
[...]

Now we're all waiting for Spyderco to make a proper re-release. I don't think there's much more to say.

[...]

It does not seem that this is going to happen in the next few years ... Because if the models that Sal says are already waiting for the production line take a year or more to hit the market, if there are no immediate plans ...

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi Aaron,

It is an "Exclusive" for a dealer/distributor. Their request. When the model first came out, it was not in demand and it was disco'd. We have no immediate plans to make one at this time. I understand the Exclusive was or is being re-ordered and there are some other requests as well.

Right now, we're not had any problems with the lock bar and wear with the original. The R&D time to re-engineer the lock to have a bar could cause a delays in production. Eric is making that decision.

sal
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 am
makawakaroni wrote:

If we're talking about Spyderco knives in general, the Heinnie Haynes UKPK exclusive comes to mind.
The same example came to my mind.

I would add that, except for rare exceptions like that of HH, it is highly unlikely that European dealers will commission exclusives as it requires paying upfront for 600+ units of a given model. It seems that they tend to have very few units in stock (probably because it takes time to sell them) and when they do it quickly they ask Spyderco again for only a few ... just in case.

I wanted to buy a Spyderco from Lamnia and they did not have it so I asked to be notified by email when it arrived. I received the email a couple of months later and I tried to buy it as soon as I got home (about 30 minutes later). Out-of-stock again. So they only probably received a couple of units and two other people who received the same email were faster than me though it was not one of those models for which people spend a night without sleep to get one of the 600 units that are offered.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 am
nerdlock wrote:
makawakaroni wrote:

I would add that, except for rare exceptions like that of HH, it is highly unlikely that European dealers will commission exclusives as it requires paying upfront for 600+ units of a given model. It seems that they tend to have very few units in stock (probably because it takes time to sell them) and when they do it quickly they ask Spyderco again for only a few ... just in case.

I wanted to buy a Spyderco from Lamnia and they did not have it so I asked to be notified by email when it arrived. I received the email a couple of months later and I tried to buy it as soon as I got home (about 30 minutes later). Out-of-stock again. So they only probably received a couple of units and two other people who received the same email were faster than me though it was not one of those models for which people spend a night without sleep to get one of the 600 units that are offered.

I bought my Janisong from Lamnia. The weird thing about it was, while their other regular Spydercos usually cost an arm and a leg (after conversion to my currency), the Janisong was surprisingly, fairly priced, less than 200 US dollars. Given how complicated the construction of the knife is, I was expecting it to cost 300 dollars or more.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:26 am

I bought my Janisong from Lamnia. The weird thing about it was, while their other regular Spydercos usually cost an arm and a leg (after conversion to my currency), the Janisong was surprisingly, fairly priced, less than 200 US dollars. Given how complicated the construction of the knife is, I was expecting it to cost 300 dollars or more.

Lamnia probably ordered two or three units and the one that you bought had been in the store for years, so you got it at a big discount (and they could get rid of it).

No mystery: balisongs are prohibited in the vast majority of European countries (if not all). So not many interested on it....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:26 am
Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 am
nerdlock wrote:
makawakaroni wrote:

For once the tables are turned. The cheapest I have seen a Janisong for sale for here in the US was $400. I would eagerly buy one for $200.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:30 am

For once the tables are turned. The cheapest I have seen a Janisong for sale for here in the US was $400. I would eagerly buy one for $200.

Darby,

They are still available at Lamnia for 202.26 USD. Free shipping to the US

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/10518/knive ... ife-c191gp
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:07 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Darby,

I wish it was that easy too but unfortunately they will not ship the Janisong to the US. :(
-Nick :bug-red
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 am
Menipo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Darby,

I wish it was that easy too but unfortunately they will not ship the Janisong to the US. :(

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Darby said that he had seen one for sale in the US for $400 ....
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 am
Mushroom wrote:
Menipo wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Darby,

I know people that have "imported" them but the knives don't come directly into the US. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I bet you can find a forum member who will re-ship for you. I know I've done that for friends in Europe. :)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:37 am
Menipo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 am
Mushroom wrote:
Menipo wrote:

Darby,

I know people that have "imported" them but the knives don't come directly into the US. ;)

Understood, thanks.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:41 am
I bet you can find a forum member who will re-ship for you. I know I've done that for friends in Europe. :)

Re-shipping due to price / availability considerations from the US to Europe or vice versa is fine and I'd be more than happy to give a forum friend a helping hand. However, re-shipping when import is prohibited in the US (that's what I understand from Mushroom) is a very different story. I would not do it or ask anyone to do it for me.
blues

Post by blues »

Last edited by blues on Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Retired from the chase -
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have made hard passes on a bunch of Embassy autos, and even a Bifold on eBay. Not worth the potential long term hassle.