Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear VS_Power:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear SpydieTerp:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

It's just knives guys. Bowie is a very good model of Spyderco, one of the best imho (I may be biased as I really like framelock knives). But so is PM2, Shaman and many more. The number of exclusive PM2 versions is huge, there are many versions of Shaman. But this was the first time an exclusive variant of Bowie was offered. And that's why there was such a hype around it. I still got original Bowie and use it a lot in the field. Hopefuly we'll see more exclusive Bowies in the future... I'd dig one with K390 blade and dark grey anodised handle.

In the meantime... fishing time:

Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I did meditate the situation a little and while it's just pure speculation, I think Spyderco want to keep the OG color/finish of the Slysz Bowie for their own release in the future. That would explain the gas-station color of the Knifejoy exclusive.

Spyderco probably told Knifejoy they could have an exclusive SB, but they'd have to chose another color/finish than the original.

If it's the case, it's fair and make the situation less frustrating... as long as a proper release from Spyderco is following.

PiterM wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am
It's just knives guys.

Say the guy that has one. :D If you ever consider giving that random knife of yours, send it my way.
Stainless wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:53 pm
They sold out instantly of course.
Who doubted that ? Some people in denial here and there, but it was obvious they would fly-by. I remember when people told me I was exaggerating and Spyderco were right to cut the knife short of their catalogue. Well, who's laughing now ? Good words of mouth were exchanged and now the knife has a different status.
makawakaroni wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:48 am
Bile Bob wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 am
For a company that proclaims to hate flipping so much they sure do feed into it.
It is just talk. No company cares about flipping. Flipping helps them sell their limited, exclusive stuff easier.
Of course it's just talk. Spyderco could end that very fast by saying a few words. Like just saying the Bowie is coming back would be enough to cut all those scalpers lose.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:33 am
Decent knife, stupid hype.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:59 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:22 pm
Interested to know your thoughts here Rick! I had one in my cart and the site actually didn't seem to be lagging or anything for me as I started putting in my payment info.. Thinking on how much I've been enjoying my Sebenzas lately (and the Inkosi I have on the way :D ..) though, I hit the eject button on the purchase last minute.. I couldn't bring myself to go through with it haha. I just don't see the SB as being in line with CRK for the money (my opinion.. please don't jump down my throat SB fanatics..). Fortunately for me, they sold out about a minute later and the temptation was gone haha! I'm definitely interested to know how you think the knife stacks up!
That CRK bug bit you hard brother! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Inkosi! The more I handle and use that knife, the more I like it, especially after the regrind to even up those bevels and get rid of the convex edge. When I first got it, I never would have thought it would become my favorite of the 2 CRK's I have...but it definitely is! Just works out great for my hand, and that Insingo blade shape for my line of work.
Yes. Yes it did haha!

So my new "Inkosi" just arrived..
:mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Hahah, clearly somebody goofed on labeling the box! Why they wouldn't check what's in it before mailing it out is beyond me though.. my first thought when I saw it was "why they h3ll did they send me a Sebenza!!??" I would have verified which knife was in the box, but idk, maybe I'm the crazy one..

This 31 is actually really nice though.. I probably wouldn't be opposed to keeping it haha.. and of course, they're showing the Inkosi Insingo that I wanted as "out of stock" now. I've reached out to the dealer to get their thoughts on the situation. We'll see how that goes..

Apologies everyone for the off-topic post.. :o

Wooohh.. Slysz Bowie! Looking forward to seeing pics when people get them in hand!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Chapp wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 am

Of course it's just talk. Spyderco could end that very fast by saying a few words. Like just saying the Bowie is coming back would be enough to cut all those scalpers lose.
This is an excellent point. Offering news of this directly on the heels of selling out the sprint run would even be welcomed.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:18 am
Hahah, clearly somebody goofed on labeling the box! Why they wouldn't check what's in it before mailing it out is beyond me though.. my first thought when I saw it was "why they h3ll did they send me a Sebenza!!??" I would have verified which knife was in the box, but idk, maybe I'm the crazy one..

This 31 is actually really nice though.. I probably wouldn't be opposed to keeping it haha.. and of course, they're showing the Inkosi Insingo that I wanted as "out of stock" now. I've reached out to the dealer to get their thoughts on the situation. We'll see how that goes..

Wooohh.. Slysz Bowie! Looking forward to seeing pics when people get them in hand!
Wow, that is something else! For being such a small company, I'm sure they'll figure out the guilty party very quickly! I imagine those stickers were applied at CRK. That stinks, though obviously a nice consolation prize haha! Interested in how this is handled for you. I've actually been looking at that exact same Large 31 myself the past few days. I love that big ole slab of micarta.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:50 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:18 am

Wow, that is something else! For being such a small company, I'm sure they'll figure out the guilty party very quickly! I imagine those stickers were applied at CRK. That stinks, though obviously a nice consolation prize haha! Interested in how this is handled for you. I've actually been looking at that exact same Large 31 myself the past few days. I love that big ole slab of micarta.
It was actually Monkey Edge that I got it from (my first time dealing with them, but they are listed on CRK's authorized dealers list, so I figured they'd be safe).. they admitted right away to the error in mis-labelling the box and sent me a prepaid one-day USPS shipping label on the spot. They say they still have an Inkosi Insingo, so they're going to send that out to me once they get back the 31. Haha a little game of musical knives, but ultimately, Monkey Edge has treated me well.. mistakes happen, I get it.. they have owned their error and taken steps to fix it in a timely manner. I can get onboard with that. My new Inkosi will arrive soon enough!

That 31 was awesome btw. The big micarta slab was so nice and everything else about it was typical CRK pristine! Having the Lg 21 micarta already though, I don't really feel a compelling need for a 31 (I'd rather try an Inkosi).. but it was a beautiful knife.. just saying :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For people complaining of artificial scarcity....
1. I sympathize.
2. It's not like that.

Logically if a company could 'print' money, they would. Wouldn't they?

There is ZERO guarantee a product will sell. Even if Nick Shabazz loves it.

Companies that commission these runs have to PAY for them. It's not like Spyderco fronts them the knives.

Let's do some HYPOTHETICAL math, as I have no idea what the actual numbers are.

So, a company wants to have a run of knives made that retail for 400 dollars a piece.
Lets then hypothetically say it costs them half of that for each knife, 200 dollars.

$200 x 600 knives is $120,000 for a run. That's A LOT of money for a small business to front. Even if they stand to double their money. Also consider if they pay upfront, it can take MONTHS to get the knives made and get them sold. Again that's serious cash to float for that long.

Hypothetically for a run of 1,200 knives? $200 x 1,200 knives.... Just shy of a quarter million $240,000 up front.

And I'm gonna pick on Nick a little more here, what if Batman says this knife isn't a gem? You could bankrupt your business with one wrong move.

I want companies to place larger orders too, but I don't think they are placing smaller orders to artificially create scarcity. I really think it's a cashflow and a capital risk issue.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am
Chapp wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 am

This is an excellent point. Offering news of this directly on the heels of selling out the sprint run would even be welcomed.

From the "Questions re Slysz Bowie" thread:

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Hi Aaron,

It is an "Exclusive" for a dealer/distributor. Their request. When the model first came out, it was not in demand and it was disco'd. We have no immediate plans to make one at this time. I understand the Exclusive was or is being re-ordered and there are some other requests as well.

Right now, we're not had any problems with the lock bar and wear with the original. The R&D time to re-engineer the lock to have a bar could cause a delays in production. Eric is making that decision.

sal
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

There's really no need for desperation that they are sold-out for now, scalpers first then the normal people.

I think that if there is demand this will be reissued in the tens of thousands until the demand is met, stuttering tttoddday idinfluencers will keep the hype going.

Problem is that instead of refining the design up a bit it went down with that silly color no mirror finish combination.

And like everything that Spyderco does these days I think the price at 400$ is off the scale.

For 50$ more you can get a Large Sebenza 31.

Or for 369$ you can get a non silly looking color integral titanium flipper with shred Carbon Fiber inlays and a custom clip in M390 as well and there's really no competition here.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WEK912 ... ber-inlays

Handling it after quite some time I have to admit I still felt that joy of handling some of the preferate toys.

I also think the design is over-hyped and is getting a bit dusty with the passing of time, there are newer more interesting designs available with nicer materials and manufacturing for less money.

But not from Spyderco...

Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm
Totally agree, also kind of got me looking at picking up a Quiet Carry Drift, as another apparent comparative bargain.

I totally caved and just picked up a TI Drift...
I suppose It'd have to be in the "off topic" section of the forum, but I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get it in hand. Seems like the only real game in town for Vanax, and the Ti frame lock appears to be done right.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Just an observer on this one as I’m a lefty and the price is a bit steep for me, but I picked up a PITS with the silly, gas station blue ano when it was disco’d and like the color and the way it has worn over time a ton.

Congrats to those who were able to pick one up.
:spyder:
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Easy pass for me. If it was the exact same as the original it would get my attention. I'm saving my $$ for a new umnumzaan s45v when in stock!
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:25 pm
For people complaining of artificial scarcity....
1. I sympathize.
2. It's not like that.

Logically if a company could 'print' money, they would. Wouldn't they?

There is ZERO guarantee a product will sell. Even if Nick Shabazz loves it.

Companies that commission these runs have to PAY for them. It's not like Spyderco fronts them the knives.

Let's do some HYPOTHETICAL math, as I have no idea what the actual numbers are.

So, a company wants to have a run of knives made that retail for 400 dollars a piece.
Lets then hypothetically say it costs them half of that for each knife, 200 dollars.

$200 x 600 knives is $120,000 for a run. That's A LOT of money for a small business to front. Even if they stand to double their money. Also consider if they pay upfront, it can take MONTHS to get the knives made and get them sold. Again that's serious cash to float for that long.

Hypothetically for a run of 1,200 knives? $200 x 1,200 knives.... Just shy of a quarter million $240,000 up front.

And I'm gonna pick on Nick a little more here, what if Batman says this knife isn't a gem? You could bankrupt your business with one wrong move.

I want companies to place larger orders too, but I don't think they are placing smaller orders to artificially create scarcity. I really think it's a cashflow and a capital risk issue.
Well said.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Geeezus...

It's simply unbelievable the crazy kind of hype around the Slysz Bowie :spyder:

When it was available everybody admire such brilliant design and superb manufacture, but also everybody whined about the price, that frankly was unbeatable when compared to any real contender in the market back in the day :confused:

I was one who truly appreciated how insanely good it was so what I did? Got myself two of them! :cool:

And when it was disco'd everybody wanted it even more...And now with it first Exclusive the whining goes stronger than ever :rolleyes:

I mean it's a knife, just a tool. Ain't the cure of cancer or something... :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Both camps have beaten their respective horses into dust. Can we give it a rest, please?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Wow. I never actually looked at the price. That’s wild.
blues

Post by blues »

It's made my job @ bladeforums dealing with the horde with their torches and pitchforks lots of fun. My faith in mankind is diminished by the actors on both sides of this matter.
- Retired from the chase -