Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spoonrobot

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by spoonrobot »

Spyderco makes excellent knives and by all appearances is a wonderful company. Their online fans are entitled and off-putting in the extreme. It wasn't always like this.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I get it that people are disappointed in certain things that have been changed, that made this knife "iconic" in their eyes. But, at the same time you knew this was an exclusive drop, so there was going to be some sort of changes made from original!!

"beggars can't be choosers"

Though I have to admit, I didn't want this knife regardless of how it came out, but I think if I were expecting something closer to the original I would also be a little disappointed in this one. Making it an easy and resounding "no"
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:42 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 am
a lot of choosy beggars around here.
Yep! It amazes me how some people think they're the authority on how these things should be done. It's like they think that a manufacturer with all this experience doesn't think the details through. I may not like how some things are done but I have to assume there was a good reason they did something the way they did.

The last year or so has made me start to rethink the whole knife hobby thing. I still enjoy the knives and a lot of the people involved but reading the dramatic posts from the entitled people is a huge turn off. I still find it hard to believe how some people act when something doesn't go their way, especially when it's something like a knife.
i will say i think it's different when it's a pm2 or something that gets a ton of sprints/exclusives and people wish it was different. this knife is clearly in a different category. people have wanted it to be brought back for a long time and it's not a current production model. it's kind of a big deal to resurrect a design like this, i think. people should be pretty happy it came back at all, but instead they're complaining about the blade finish. if you don't like it, don't buy one. if you really have to have one, you're not going to actually care about the blade finish. also, it's quite different to say you wish it had the same finish as the original versus ranting about how they've completely ruined everything that made it special.

if there's anything i've learned about knives by carrying spydercos, it's to carry the design and/or steel you like and the aesthetics will either grow on you or you'll stop caring.
case in point:
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:03 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 am
a lot of choosy beggars around here.
I don’t get it? Isn’t begging and commenting on design choices a big part of the discussions around here?
Would I rather have seen a re-release of the SB in it’s original form, sure.
Do I mind that Knifejoy is releasing this limited version? Not at all.

As long as we don’t go and make or commission a knife our self, we must accept the options other cares to give us. That’s fine, and frankly we are spoiled with choices, but that doesn’t take away our right to discuss those options and give feedback to the maker/dealer.

Maybe some posts come across as signaling entitlement, and that might be true, but we must also remember that written words and language barriers can skew the message sometimes.

I think the point is that we are all simply stating why we personally are not buying the knife. It’s not choosy, it’s a simple choice in products.

Personally, I like the look of the knife but it’s a hard no for me because it doesn’t fit my hand. Other’s hard no might be the cost, steel or color. I too applaud KJ for bringing back a discontinued knife, and I hope to see more of this trend.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:15 am
I get it that people are disappointed in certain things that have been changed, that made this knife "iconic" in their eyes. But, at the same time you knew this was an exclusive drop, so there was going to be some sort of changes made from original!!

"beggars can't be choosers"

Though I have to admit, I didn't want this knife regardless of how it came out, but I think if I were expecting something closer to the original I would also be a little disappointed in this one. Making it an easy and resounding "no"
There is one major reason why this knife became so iconic... and it has nothing to do with the blade finish. ;)

---

It was never going to be re-released in the exact same configuration as the original. People just wanted a Slysz Bowie back. No one was out there clamoring for a "Slysz bowie with a mirror stonewashed blade" and all the others things you see people parroting off about this particular knife.

People are being given what they asked for and now they're asking for more! I'm sure we're all familiar with the story "If you give a mouse a cookie." Well, I've seen that mentality become more and more prevalent over the past few years. Beggars are being too choosey.
-Nick :bug-red
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

from someone that loves the Techno's and have always wanted to try these, would much rather pay $300 for XHP and the regular stonewash finish without the blue ano
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Someone please make the K2 again
I would have kept mine if the corners of the handles were rounded at all. As it was, it was just too sharp (in the wrong places) to carry or use. I felt like it was a great 10v blade, but housed in a very raw handle.

Fix those issues, and I'd be all over it. But there were other issues, separate from the knife itself, that will likely prevent this knife from being made again.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am
Fireman wrote:
I would have kept mine if the corners of the handles were rounded at all. As it was, it was just too sharp (in the wrong places) to carry or use. I felt like it was a great 10v blade, but housed in a very raw handle.

Fix those issues, and I'd be all over it. But there were other issues, separate from the knife itself, that will likely prevent this knife from being made again.
I think Sal mentioned a smaller version was in the works? Despite wearing XL-XXL gloves, I never felt comfortable with that knife, and hope a smaller one actually happens. That two bolt construction with the "crushed" standoff was freaking awesome!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wow!

I think this release exemplifies why I have come to see exclusives as a distraction from new designs.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm
I don’t get why this would be made as an exclusive. I’m seeing lots of frustration here from international customers and I guess I’m one of them. As a sprint or regular production Spyderco fans from all over the world can participate.

I presume knife sadness has paid for the knives and is taking the gamble, not Spyderco, that's why...

That blue looks bad/kitsch IMHO and the finish doesn't seem to be that great, is that a scratch already on the lock-bar release finger groove?

No mirror-finish on the blade, that silly color, so for me this looks like a downgraded Bowie at 400$.
I guess a Bowie with a similar fit and finish like the original will cost even more now and Spyderco doesn't seem to hurry on taking the gamble.

I'm sure it will sell. For me even if this was internationally available I'll probably just stick with the original, the best Slysz-Bowie so far.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 am
It wasn't always like this.
That’s my recollection, also.

Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

I mean...the finish of the original. And the color. It Is on another level for estetics... but all else should be great as well...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 am
Wow!

I think this release exemplifies why I have come to see exclusives as a distraction from new designs.
i've been saying this for a while. but it's not even just new designs... where are all the production models? if you look on the spyderco website, about half of the production models are completely out of stock and many of them have been for months. during that time, there have been so many exclusives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would love the original version. Just need to find one that is not astronomical in price. A slightly smaller version might need to be named after a different mountain.
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am
Fireman wrote:

I think Sal mentioned a smaller version was in the works? Despite wearing XL-XXL gloves, I never felt comfortable with that knife, and hope a smaller one actually happens. That two bolt construction with the "crushed" standoff was freaking awesome!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

K2 ain't coming back guys. There was a dispute with farid mehr.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:20 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wow!

i've been saying this for a while. but it's not even just new designs... where are all the production models? if you look on the spyderco website, about half of the production models are completely out of stock and many of them have been for months. during that time, there have been so many exclusives.
Point taken.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:30 pm
K2 ain't coming back guys. There was a dispute with farid mehr.
Perhaps an “Everest”? Same form factor and titanium handle but with Magna Cut and different design.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:20 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wow!

Exclusives are big money-makers and quick cash-flow for Spyderco, Distributors and Dealers. Usually, they also cater to the whims of customers/fans.

However, the reverse side of the blade says slower release of new models and restock of popular models.
Last edited by RamZar on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
fixall

Post by fixall »

I really, REALLY want to understand the hype behind this knife, but after handling one, I have to admit, I just don't get it.

I might be interested in a smaller version if the ergonomics felt right.

Alright, my buddy with the Slysz says I'm an idiot and it will grow on me.

In for one (if I can manage to snag one that is), lol!
Last edited by fixall on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Does anybody know what the MSRP is?