Discussing a knife I´ll get but don´t want... ;) (Manix 2 backlock)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Discussing a knife I´ll get but don´t want... ;) (Manix 2 backlock)

Post by Wartstein »

Funny (?) story:

I managed to purchase a Spydie I actually don´t want ;)... (and most likely sell again immediately )

It´s the Manix 2 mid backlock (discontinued) (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C101MBG2/1041 , pic below from the Spyderco site)

I heard a lot about how this would be the most comfortable Manix in hand (due to the more handfilling handle),how it would have a perfect, improved backlock and outstanding fit and finish... so since the backlock is still my favorite lock and I like the Manix design overall I sometimes vaguely thought about getting one, but never really got even close to the point to pull the trigger.

Now like 10 days ago I saw a new in box, unused example in an ebay auction and just randomly placed a bid - don´t know why I actually did, regretted it immediately but was sure that in the ten days left certainly someone would outbid me anyway -
well, this did not happen, I actually bought that thing and it is on its way to me... :p

It´s not that this would be a knife I´d not like to try at all!
But it has some things I don´t prefer (G10, though thick, linerless one, so at least the knife is not heavier than the sprint G10 CBBL Manixes; and an a bit thicker, sturdier blade), I always want to keep the number of my Spydies down to just ten, which are real users, and other knives are a lot higher on my list.

So I´ll most likely put this knife on sale again in the minute after I could check if it is actually new and in perfect condition (which I don´t doubt)

- Anyone else ever managed to buy a Spydie they actually did not really want? ;)
- Or can anyone convince me to keep the knife (will be very hard to do though..)

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Re: Discussing a knife I´ll get but don´t want... ;)

Post by ChrisinHove »

Are you kidding? :D The Manix 2 BackLock is an excellent knife!

Performance and ergo’s for outdoors use are excellent, with the thicker blade and handle scales. Its only shortcoming may be its lack of flair (if that’s important to you).
vivi

Post by vivi »

You may feel different after handling it. If the lock feels anything like my C95, it makes the lock on Pacific Salts etc. feel like a toy. Very robust and refined.

I'd own one of these if they did the XL the same way
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:08 am
Are you kidding? :D The Manix 2 BackLock is an excellent knife!

Performance and ergo’s for outdoors use are excellent, with the thicker blade and handle scales. Its only shortcoming may be its lack of flair (if that’s important to you).
vivi wrote: You may feel different after handling it. If the lock feels anything like my C95, it makes the lock on Pacific Salts etc. feel like a toy. Very robust and refined.

I'd own one of these if they did the XL the same way
I am 100% sure it is excellent! That´s why I even vaguely thought about getting one... in all "reviews" (actually even some where people really have USED the knife :eek: :p ) they rave about the perfect, stout fit and finish.

But I just don´t want to many Spydies (just ten at max at each point in time), I don´t have a ton of budget for knives, and these days I know pretty precisely what I really like the most: Lighter weight, FRN, SE, a lot of cutting edge and I don´t think a blade thicker than 3mm is ever needed, even for the hardest use I personally put a knife through (and that´s pretty hard), but just decreases sliciness...

If this was a used Manix, I´d certainly try it for some time! But since it is nib and in perfect condition, I´ll have to sell it without doing anything to it...

Anyway, in a way this is actually funny to me ;) - and it can´t hurt to at least see, feel,hold and open/close a Manix backlock (which I have to do in order to check its condition before putting it on sale)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: Discussing a knife I´ll get but don´t want... ;) (Manix 2 backlock)

Post by Wartstein »

While we are at it, I might as well detail even more what else made me even remotely consider the Manix 2 backlock:

- I am a bit surprised that it was not a success, for in a way it could be the "even better backlock Shaman":

+ About the same bladestock as the Shaman
+ "Hard use" concept consequently followed through, they even gave the backlock Manix a stronger, larger pivot than the regular Manix and a steel backspacer!
+ VERY thick G10 handle, that could by that easily be rounded off by the end user into Shaman handle shape
+ A bit smoother, lighter textured G10 than on the regular Manix, no jimping on the actual handle (just on choil and thumb ramp), closed back: This should make it even more comfortable than the open back Shaman with its comp.lock cutout (and the closed back protects the edge when the knife is closed)
+ Still significantly lighter than the Shaman or the S30V G10 CBBL Manix (and as light as the other G10 Manixes)

Also the smoother G10 should be easier on the pocket and disassembly a breeze: No liners, no lanyard tube...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wish this knife had sold better. I would have been all over sprint variants. I wanted to get one and buy some G10 and make some extra thick contoured scales for it but never got one before they were discontinued.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:39 am
I really wish this knife had sold better. I would have been all over sprint variants. I wanted to get one and buy some G10 and make some extra thick contoured scales for it but never got one before they were discontinued.

Did you never consider just rounding off the already "extra thick G10" factory scales?

Esoecially since the handle is linerless and because of that after market scales harder to make I guess? (Never tried though)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:52 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:39 am

Did you never consider just rounding off the already "extra thick G10" factory scales?

Esoecially since the handle is linerless and because of that after market scales harder to make I guess? (Never tried though)

I did, but since the construction of this knife is so simple (no liners) it would be very easy to go even further. I want more of a "fixed blade" handle shape with palm swells and lots of contouring, and I figured it would take even thicker scales to get what I want even if I end up grinding off most of the extra layer that I add.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

among arbitrary numbers, eleven is just as good a number as ten.
Fixed that for you. Easy ;)

On a slightly more serious note, I think we basically look at this knife quite similarly, it has a lot of likes, but very few needs. That makes it a compelling buy, but not a rational one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:02 am
among arbitrary numbers, eleven is just as good a number as ten.
Fixed that for you. Easy ;)

On a slightly more serious note, I think we basically look at this knife quite similarly, it has a lot of likes, but very few needs. That makes it a compelling buy, but not a rational one.
:p :p

/ And true!
It is just so perfect and cool in its hard use approach, actually for me even more so than the Shaman... but my experience says, I never, ever need that level of "hard use" even in my personal "hardest" tasks. (Though this knife will still be a very good slicer too, perhaps at about PM2 level?)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Yeah, hard use folders is a pretty narrow use case for me, and I have too many that fits the bill already. I like this one, though. I have a thing for linerless knives. And backlocks. But it I struggle to even justify my current Manix, so there’s no room even if I could find one at a good price.

The only harder use knife I’ve decided to try in a not so distant future, is the Caribbean. I’ve been rooting for a small version for a while, so it’s only fair that I try out the full size to put some more weight behind my words.
Donut

Post by Donut »

This knife is surprisingly good. I like mine a lot, but don't seem to carry it as often as I should.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At least you didn't make a $440 offer on a knife, not thinking there's any way the seller would actually accept it on a nearly flawless $550 knife :p

It happened to me! I didn't REALLY want the knife...but now that I have it, it's become a favorite after a little tinkering and reprofile.

I think it's a sign that you need to keep it! ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:10 am
At least you didn't make a $440 offer on a knife, not thinking there's any way the seller would actually accept it on a nearly flawless $550 knife :p

It happened to me! I didn't REALLY want the knife...but now that I have it, it's become a favorite after a little tinkering and reprofile.

I think it's a sign that you need to keep it! ;)

:p right, actually I paid "only" $ 142 plus $ 14.50 shipping to Europe (which are amazingly low shipping costs! The knife will only arrive in 4 to 6 weeks though) - for NOW... taxes and tariffs will have to be added to that, and not too few... :o

But honestly, I really don´t know why I even made a bid, and I had completely forgotten about it already when I got notified that I actually bought a knife... :p
I mean, normally on ebay bidding 10 days before the auction ends means really nothing...

And I am pretty much 100% certain I´ll sell it again immediately, no matter how good it is... ;)

/ Which one is the knife you´re talking about? Spydie or other brand?
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Hard to convince anyone to like something like a knife, that they don't have in the hand. I will say though that I think its a really cool knife and has become one of my favorite manix variants.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Who knows, maybe it will grow on you! Going into with the attitude to sell it might change quickly once it's in hand! You already know you love the lock and the ergos.

My knife was the CRK Inkosi Insingo. Maybe had a couple too many brews that night and shot out the offer. Woke up the next morning to a notification that the offer was accepted and had a nervous feeling haha! This was just a week or two after I had bought my first CRK, so that was a good chunk of money to toss out on 2 knives in such a short amount of time!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I think it is good to push yourself this way.

Sometimes you come into something very good that you otherwise would have never experienced.

If it doesn't work out, the downside is more knowledge and insight, and letting something go to fund other (gear) efforts.

I suspect you are going to like it but will find it a bit heavy if you are in an ultralightweight state of mind.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It's a brick and you tend to be anti-brick. But hey maybe you will like it. It is a nice knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I didn’t want a PM2 initially. Now I have a bunch more. The model became my Mule for new steels, but only after the brilliance of its design revealed itself to me.

Seems to me we have a choice with Spyderco. We can have particular standards and reject models that don’t meet those standards, or we can be more playful and let Spyderco show us a good time with models we never thought we’d like. Neither choice is a bad one, but the latter can be more expensive.

ETA: I have the model in question and love everything about it, but, then, I’ve been a Manix maniac since my start here.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is the one knife I’d keep if I could only have one knife. I predict you’re going to love this life. This knife has a lock that is like a bank vault. It vibrates your whole hand when it engages. This is a fantastic knife and it cuts really really well. Yes it has a very thick blade stock but it thins out beautifully towards the edge. You’re going to love this knife and it might change the way you look at other knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050