Help a N00b. Recommend a backpacking knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ovgcguy

Help a N00b. Recommend a backpacking knife

Post by ovgcguy »

Hey Guys, self admitted knife n00b here looking to get my first quality knife. I want it for ultralight backpacking and am primarily considering the Delica 4, Para 3 Lightweight, or Native 5. I'd like to keep the knife around 2.5oz and a 2.5-3" blade which is how i landed on those models.

My main question is about steel. What alloys are considered best for back country use? I do not 'bushcraft' anything. My knife will mostly be used for cutting rope or webbing, the occasional steak (on a tiny plastic cutting board), or making a skewer out of a stick.

For the most part I want a blade that doesn't require much care and is moderately to highly corrosion resistant. I am targeting a premium steel as I like to Buy one Cry once. I see the Native 5 is regularly available in S30V while others seem to have lower grades in the non-special series?

What are the pros and cons of the commonly available steel grades of those knives?

Thanks in advance!
TazKristi

Re: Help a N00b. Recommend a backpacking knife

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, ovgcguy:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Whenever I go camping with the Scouts (I'm a scoutmaster) I always bring my S30V Manix 2. The knife is a tank and performs awesome at any outdoor task I throw its way. The Manix 2 also comes in a lightweight version that is only 2.9 ounces. I have never had any issue with the S30V steel. But given the choice I would go with the new SPY27 steel. It was not available when I got my Manix 2. Plus it is only $20 more than S30V.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ovgcguy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:18 pm
Hey Guys, self admitted knife n00b here looking to get my first quality knife. I want it for ultralight backpacking and am primarily considering the Delica 4, Para 3 Lightweight, or Native 5. I'd like to keep the knife around 2.5oz and a 2.5-3" blade which is how i landed on those models.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Aside from the steel choice (I know, you main question!)

For what you describe you want ((ultralight backpacking): Imho Salt 2 ffg, without any doubt! Basically a linerless Delica
Detailed reasoning see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88925
First impressions see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256

In a nutshell:

- You get a 3" blade in a weight of 1.9 oz
- You get a totally corrosion resistant steel
- You get a lock that is safe in pocket, totally ambidextrous and perfectly usable with gloves / wet, cold hands
- You get the choice between wharnie and droppoint, PE and SE (I´d go with droppoint serrated)

Out of the choices you listed: For me Delica any day of the week
- Thin, slicey, but still strong bladestock at 2.5mm (Native 3mm, Para 3 even 3.7)
- A tad lighter than a linerless Para 3 while still offering solid liners
- More cutting edge than a Native
- Backlock always a win for me, especially in the outdoors

As far as steels go:
I think LC200N (totally corrosion resistant) and VG10 (very corrosion resistant) are perfectly fine for outdoor- and general EDC use! So is the BD1N of the Para 3 LW
S30V (Native) will hold an edge longer, but takes a bit more effort to sharpen and is a bit less rustproof.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Mule Team. With paracord wrap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And see here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927 should you wonder why your posts don´t show up ;)
Will change soon!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd look at the Salt 2 LC200N. Right now it looks like it's only available in a wharncliffe blade but I'd expect it in a regular blade shape eventually. You could also just get the Pacific in LC200N, it's a bit bigger than 3 inches but only 2.9oz for a very good size knife and it's rust proof and will hold an edge well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 am
I'd look at the Salt 2 LC200N. Right now it looks like it's only available in a wharncliffe blade but I'd expect it in a regular blade shape eventually. You could also just get the Pacific in LC200N, it's a bit bigger than 3 inches but only 2.9oz for a very good size knife and it's rust proof and will hold an edge well.

What?! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256

kobold

Post by kobold »

I like the Native ergonomically the most, so I would go with the Native Salt in rustproof LC200N steel. I would pick the serrated edge version, which will outlast a plain edge, so you don't need to carry a sharpener on a longer trip.

Welcome to the forums! :)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 am

What?! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256

I couldn't find it anywhere :confused:

Even better, there's the 3 inch -2.5oz knife he's looking for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Spyderco Salt 2 (same basic knife as a Delica) in H1 or LC200N is what you are looking for. They are only 2.1 oz. They will not rust, period. If you get H1 you will want the serrated edge. It is easy to sharpen. knifeworks.com has all the models in stock, leaf blade and wharncliffe. I'd go with the leaf/clip point blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am
The Spyderco Salt 2 (same basic knife as a Delica) in H1 or LC200N is what you are looking for. They are only 2.1 oz. They will not rust, period. If you get H1 you will want the serrated edge. It is easy to sharpen. knifeworks.com has all the models in stock, leaf blade and wharncliffe. I'd go with the leaf/clip point blade.

1.9 oz in ffg (LC200N)...;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am

1.9 oz in ffg (LC200N)...;)
That is very light and is the perfect solution. LC200N Salt 2 it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Salt 2 in LC200N PE (model C88FPGR2) as has been recommended a few times already

in stock at dealers below and many others. Google model number C88FPGR2

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ht--121029

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-sal ... 200n-blade

https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-c88fpgr2- ... n-3-satin/

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... -c88fpgr2/
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SE edges cut like a buzz saw, but they're not as good at things like whittling and are arguably harder to sharpen in the field.

While a Sharpmaker doesn't weigh much, it takes a fair amount of space in a pack, where a credit card sized M/F diamond hone is no extra space at all. I guess you could just bring a medium SM rod with you, but any reprofiling would be slow going.

I like the Manix 2 LW suggestion, it's only a little heavier than your original picks and comes in BD1N (or SPY27/S110V), plus the extra size will probably come in handy out on the trail some day and with the choil and long FFG grind it still allows delicate detail cuts.

If you really can't go that big, the N5LW Salt and Salt 2 are good calls.
I absolutely love the Para 3, less so the P3LW, but that one is a great pick as well. Lots of people reference its thick blade stock, but the reality is that the long grind and thickness behind the edge make it a great slicer anyway, better than the S30V N5 (the N5 Salt seems to have a thinner grind).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For a new Spyderco fan who wants a functional, affordable tool to take backpacking you can't go wrong with any of the models out of Spyderco's SALT SERIES.

But if none of those appeal to you then just carry whichever Spyderco model you find to be comfortable. To me comfort goes a long way toward having confidence in the tool you're working with.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein makes the best case, IMO. Go with a Salt 2 in LC200N.

And welcome to the forum! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

I replaced my Delica with an LC200N Salt 2 for my backpacking and trail running needs.
I echo the recommendation of others!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 am
SE edges cut like a buzz saw, but they're not as good at things like whittling and are arguably harder to sharpen in the field.

SE will maybe be harder to sharpen in the field (but really? On the corner of a small stone?), but it will STAY sharp a lot longer than PE and still "cut" / separate matter when dull, while PE is pretty much useless then.

Spydercos SE is also very good at whittling, as long as one just wants to make a pointy stick, carve a notch or the like.
For me better than PE - not due to the serrations themselves, but due to the chisel grind Spydercos SE comes in.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Most people are saying PE, and maybe it is better. I would go with a Pacific Salt H1 SE for my choice though.