Runners and knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
haydenfox2021

Runners and knives

Post by haydenfox2021 »

For the past four years running has been a consistent hobby of mine and I only seem to have time running at night. I looked through several different options for self defense, the best of which seem to be just to run away, but always was looking for a secondary self defense item since I live in an urban area. I was able to pick up a Spyderco Pacific Salt FRN Black (black coated H-1 hollow grind PE) and has been a nearly perfect running knife. It swings too much if I clip it into my pocket while I am running but clipping it in my waistband which is retrieved just as easily if not more so. The rust proof abilities are an necessity because of where I carry it. Does anyone else run with a knife and if so which one? These first gen Pacific Salts are very abundant on eBay and can be found for very cheap (I got mine for just over $65 used).
VooDooChild

Re: Runners and knives

Post by VooDooChild »

I like the dragonfly 2 if Im wearing boardshorts on the beach. I havent been much of a runner for a long time though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

I do trail running and a Pacific Salt 2 IWB is my knife of choice. Like you I found IWB carry much more practical while physically active as it moves around less and stays securely clippeed.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have carried everything from a Delica to a Military IWB while running. If the waistband is snug then most knives don’t move around too much.

Your Pacific Salt is probably close to the ideal self defense knife for a runner.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

My wife runs with a Delica, I usually carry a Dragonfly. At night we carry bright colored versions for visibility in case I drop my knife in the grass again. I haven't had any rust problems with vg10 or s30v, but I usually wipe down my watch and knife after every run/bike ride.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I don't have any salt knives yet but my VG10 Endela and S90V Native haven't rusted on so I'm not really on the hunt for something more rust proof. Often I'll remember to rinse them with water but not everytime and fortunately nothing has rusted yet.

I always have them inside the waist band, it seems to bounce around the least that way. Because of IWB carry I will always choose a back lock, it seems safer and less likely to accidentally cause some sort of castration.

I wouldn't mind running with a fixed blade but knife + sheath often becomes heavier than a folder.
/ David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I often bring a knife when trail running or cross country skiing, but never with self defense in mind.
My preference are compact size backlock salts,
carried IWB, tip down. Typically DF2 salt, Salt 2 or Native salt.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I use my salt 2 lc200n wharncliffe. I appreciate the light weight and the corrosion resistance.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i use the same knife as you and in the same way. ideally, a blacked out matriarch 2 with the wave opener in a h1 salt version would be my choice, but it doesn't exist. the pacific salt is a great knife though and more versatile. it's in my waistband right now, actually.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

I run daily with a SE tasman salt clipped to my waistband.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I do a lot of trail-/mountain running.

Don't know why this is, but I don't have corrosion issues even when I carry my Manix 2 LW REX 45 iwb on long runs and hot summerdays...

Usually though its my Chap FRN clipped iwb when running without a running vest/pack.
Certainly one of the slimmest carries out of all Spydies and an extremly good slicer.

I got a Salt 2 ffg SE recently, this knife will certainly get carried a lot too iwb when running.

And occasionally any Spydie I own is in my waistband when running

As soon as I am wearing a vest with pockets when running I have no real preferences any more anyway.
Perhaps SE over PE, just cause it is a better performer should need be.

Self defence is actually never on my mind when running.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

My recommendation would be to NOT bring a knife for self-defense, when running. If you feel the need to bring a deterrent, I would suggest non-lethal, like a flashlight, mace, or kubotan. Better yet, don't bring anything of value with you.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know the op said self defense, but it doesn't have to be for that purpose. you carry a knife while running for the same reasons you carry a knife any other time. what if there is an accident while you're running and someone needs to be pulled from a car? that pacific salt might save their life. it's a lot more convenient than carrying a phone, but i still do that too. it's just smart.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:46 pm
Better yet, don't bring anything of value with you.
Can't leave the lady at home, and she's the most valuable thing I have. Something is better than nothing, but if things might be sketchy, I have a fanny pack with a ... more defensive option.

Usually people clear out of the way when they see the fanny pack though. :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Karl_H wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:46 pm
My recommendation would be to NOT bring a knife for self-defense, when running. If you feel the need to bring a deterrent, I would suggest non-lethal, like a flashlight, mace, or kubotan. Better yet, don't bring anything of value with you.
I use mine for minor trail maintenance more than anything. Slashing briars grown across the trail.
:unicorn
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

A Dragonfly Salt lives permanently in my trail running vest. Perfect for the minor cutting tasks that I could need during a run...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Filoso- wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 pm
A Dragonfly Salt lives permanently in my trail running vest. Perfect for the minor cutting tasks that I could need during a run...

A leatherman squirt ps4 lives in mine..;)
Could do minor cutting tasks too and a bit more.

Though I have to admit: For cutting I almost always put a Spydie in my vest too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ladybug Hawkbill in H1. I drop it in a pocket.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Why is everyone always worried about sweating on a stainless steel knife, when I stack hay in the summer it’s 100+* and I can wring my shirt out , and some days I am offshore fishing covered in salt water spray, and I don’t have rust on my knives, even my case trapper doesn’t get rusty
Please list the spyderco steels that get so rusty, so I can definitely scratch it off a to buy list
Is it REX ?
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Ladybug Hawkbill in H1. I drop it in a pocket.
I've been running with, and thanks to, my better half for the past two years or so. I haven't yet purchased a running knife, but I think the Dragonfly Hawkbill in H1 would be my choice. Small enough to clip in the waistband and barely notice it, big & mean enough to do some really quick damage if you had to. I agree with H1 for a running knife, considering the corrosive nature of sweat.

I hear the point about running away being the best choice, and it for sure is. I also hear the point about a good flashlight - a lot of folks are surprised by how quickly a bright light in the eyes will stop someone in their tracks. Perhaps an Olight i3T EOS with the an upgraded rechargeable battery?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.