Runners and knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Runners and knives

Post by ugaarguy »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:34 pm
Why is everyone always worried about sweating on a stainless steel knife, when I stack hay in the summer it’s 100+* and I can wring my shirt out , and some days I am offshore fishing covered in salt water spray, and I don’t have rust on my knives, even my case trapper doesn’t get rusty
Please list the spyderco steels that get so rusty, so I can definitely scratch it off a to buy list
Is it REX ?
I've had more problems with liners rusting than blades. Also, do you really know what's in the pivot area of your case knife where you can't see what's going on? Another thing is that some people have more corrosive sweat than others. So, for me, it's the more corrosion resistant internals and other hardware that are such a big appeal on the Salt Series knives. If corrosion wasn't a concern for so many people, then would the Salt knives be as successful as they are?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Dragonfly 2 for me
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've actually seen a couple cases where knives were used by runners for self defense against wildlife. Hopefully that never happens to me, but honestly if I'm hiking in the wilderness I want some kind of defensive tool (we have predatory cats in our area). If I couldn't carry a firearm (which I usually do), I'd definitely want a knife. In reality, I generally have both (and a flashlight, and some first aid supplies...etc).
James Y

Post by James Y »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:55 pm
I've actually seen a couple cases where knives were used by runners for self defense against wildlife. Hopefully that never happens to me, but honestly if I'm hiking in the wilderness I want some kind of defensive tool (we have predatory cats in our area). If I couldn't carry a firearm (which I usually do), I'd definitely want a knife. In reality, I generally have both (and a flashlight, and some first aid supplies...etc).

When I think of someone running with knives, particularly with self-defense in mind, the reason I usually think of is animals (aggressive stray dogs and wildlife) more than people. No matter how good a runner you might be, even Usain Bolt could never outrun an aggressive dog. A good, RELIABLE pepper spray might be better, but a knife would certainly be better than empty hands against a dog.

I do a lot of walking now, and haven’t gone running in nearly 20 years. But when I used to run, I often carried a Delica 3 in my waistband. Or sometimes with it closed in my hand, where it was small enough to be unnoticeable.

Jim
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:55 pm
My understanding is that the best way to avoid cougar (and other big cat) attacks is to cover the back of your neck and make it seem like you have eyes on the back of your head. Bear spray is also more likely to be more effective than a a small knife. A flashlight might be helpful, if you see it, before it pounces.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Why is everyone always worried about sweating on a stainless steel knife, when I stack hay in the summer it’s 100+* and I can wring my shirt out , and some days I am offshore fishing covered in salt water spray, and I don’t have rust on my knives, even my case trapper doesn’t get rusty
Please list the spyderco steels that get so rusty, so I can definitely scratch it off a to buy list
Is it REX ?

I am not worried at all.
I carry my XHP Chap iwb on sweaty runs all the time: No rust problems.

I even do so with my REX 45 Manix (and cut fruits, meat, all kind of stuff with it without whiping off the blade after that for hours sometimes): Just a slightl patina.

S30V /V10.... perfectly rust proof in my use, despite beeing carried iwb, in wet packs, cutting all a knife can cut and so on.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Salt level of rust resistance isn't often required, but it's a nice insurance against human error.
In a busy life with kids and wife ambushing me with all kinds of requests and propositions as soon as I come through the door, it's easy to get derailed. So it's not unusual to forget about that knife you were supposed to rinse and dry after the run, until you find it gunked up and still clipped to your running pants when you go for a run again the week after.

Now, I'm not sure I would have bought salts specifically for running, but I have them because I've bought them specifically for something else, and both the weight and rust resistance make them good options for running as well.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:39 am
Salt level of rust resistance isn't often required, but it's a nice insurance against human error.
In a busy life with kids and wife ambushing me with all kinds of requests and propositions as soon as I come through the door, it's easy to get derailed. So it's not unusual to forget about that knife you were supposed to rinse and dry after the run, until you find it gunked up and still clipped to your running pants when you go for a run again the week after.

Now, I'm not sure I would have bought salts specifically for running, but I have them because I've bought them specifically for something else, and both the weight and rust resistance make them good options for running as well.
who wants to have to remember to rinse off a knife and dry it after a run? i don't. there have been times where my wife will bring me my pacific salt because it was tumbling around in the dryer. i can't be trusted to remember to rinse and dry it.

i actually bought my salt because i wanted a knife to carry in the ocean. the idea to run with it came when i realized how light and slim it was. i had carried an izula iwb running before, but it's not really the most elegant design for that type of use and it's tool steel, so that presents a bit of a problem.

i will say though, if you plan on participating in some kind of contact sport, it's best not to have a knife on you. i got flipped one day on the field and landed right on my pac salt. it was a hard enough hit that i could see the outline of the knife, the spydie hole, and even the volcano grip pattern imprinted on my hip. on the other hand, the comedy helped with the pain.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

When I first read this thread last month I figured I should start carrying a small knife while running but quickly forgot all about it. Fast forward to today when I came upon a red-winged blackbird trapped in the degraded landscape fabric surrounding the new construction behind my neighborhood -- essentially giant fields of bird snares at this point. Not having a knife I had to hold the little bugger while using my teeth to bite through the polypropylene enough to where I could loosen the threads and untangle him without causing him any further damage. Lesson learned and my GITD Dragonfly2 is now stashed in my running shoes so I don't forget it next time. Oh and the bird seemed fine if not a little frazzled by the experience.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'm not a runner, but do a lot of biking/cycling. To be honest, my favorite carry for that is a Benchmade Bugout in 20CV with G10 handles. It is a superb light, compact knife. Never had corrosion issues so far. I'm not completely sure which Spyderco I would suggest, as the Bugout really fills that purpose for me very well.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wandering_About wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm
I'm not a runner, but do a lot of biking/cycling. To be honest, my favorite carry for that is a Benchmade Bugout in 20CV with G10 handles. It is a superb light, compact knife. Never had corrosion issues so far. I'm not completely sure which Spyderco I would suggest, as the Bugout really fills that purpose for me very well.

Well, I guess I can help you out ;) :Salt 2 ffg (LC200N), preferably (for me) in SE:

See here viewtopic.php?t=88925, perhaps my points why it is the "better Bugout" are true for you too?

Plus: My first impressions on the Salt 2 ffg: viewtopic.php?t=89256
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Haydenfox,

Welcome to our forum.

Rules:

1. Don't be there
2. Some type of nonlethal spray or electric tool.
3. knife

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

That is so spot on
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spray is a good option. Especially if you are a regular runner, it's unlikely that an assailant is going to be able to keep up with you as you remove yourself from the situation. And even more unlikely if they have something burning in their eyes.

I'm not very worried about human predators in those situations, but trail runners in our area have encountered non-human predators. (https://youtu.be/bU5zk7Q6ks4). In a situation like that some kind of spray is likely to be a better option than a knife (or a firearm, most of the time).
Donut

Post by Donut »

I used to use a UKPK in CPM S30V IWB for running. I think it worked very well. Never needed it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Finally picked up that Dragonfly Hawkbill I've been thinking about for awhile. My thought is that the handle is small enough to hide inside your fist, so it can't really be wrestled away from you, and the hawkbill + serrations = a very aggressive slash, similar to the Matriarch. Helps that the H1 is rustproof, and the knife is light enough to disappear in your waistband, or fit in the "key pocket" of most running shorts.

Girlfriend took it with her one her run this morning, so I'll call it a success. I'll see how popular it is over the coming weeks.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I spy a stargate.
:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

Do not forget to train the draw+open.
Maybe add a zip to create a ""wave" opening.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:58 pm
I spy a stargate.
On Season 7 of SG-1, first time I've watched it since it was on live TV. Holds up just fine.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Is it REX ?
I’m with you. I live less than 1 mile from saltwater, surf fish the beach and have boated all my life on the salt. I own and rotate a number of spyderco’s . I have never, in memory, had a rust problem and none are salts.