Standard Urban Light Weight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Standard Urban Light Weight

Post by Doc Dan »

Since I already had the gray K390 and the coyote Tan AEBL Urbans I thought I would buy the standard version with N690 and black skills to complete my set.

The young lady at Knifeworks who was checking out the knife cut her self badly while making sure it was right. She said that the blade was extremely hard to operate and it was like that on several that she tried and the one I got was the best of those. Well I can understand what she was saying and also how she cut herself. The blade is really really hard to operate. No one he’s going to accidentally have this knife clothes on them at least not very easily. There is no way my wife even with two hands could operate this knife. This is what I mean when I say Maniago‘s knife making is all over the map and that the back spraying needs to be fixed on this knife.

However I will say that the edge grind is very nice. The centering is perfect. The knife has no rough edges anywhere. Other than the blade being difficult there are no complaints at all, zero, about this knife. So kudos there.

As can be seen from the pictures the blade on the coyote is shorter than the k390 and the N690 is shorter than both of them. In fact it’s quite a bit shorter. I have not measured it yet but I’m going to guess it is below 2.5 inches in length. Also you can see that there is a difference in the arc of the edge.

I wish that it’s blade was the standard 2.61 inches like in the catalog and as the K390 is. Somehow it looks a little bit stunted. Still it is a really nice knife other than the one glaring fault that the blade is very difficult to operate even for me. I hope it will loosen up overtime.

The knife came very sharp and like most urbans it feels good in the hand. I noticed that the thumb ramp and the arc on the back where the thumb ramp is is different very slightly on the K390 than on the other two and it is a little bit more comfortable for me. On a knife this size small increments matter a lot. But it is not uncomfortable on this new one and the knife feels great in hand or pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Josh Crutchley

Re: Standard Urban Light Weight

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I figured they would have better consistency than that. The thumb ramp on the K390 does look better. It has smaller jimping and more of them, 15 vs 12. I love my Aeb-l Urban and carry it daily. I just wish I knew about the spinning pivot problem.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I can deal with bad centering usually but if the locks hard to operate and the blade is wrong I would personally send to SFO, if for no reason so they can see what they're selling.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm hoping that Spyderco clamps down a bit on the MKM QC

Apparently changes are on the way, though it may be a while. The aeb-l urbans had some criticism when they were rolling out.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 am
I'm hoping that Spyderco clamps down a bit on the MKM QC

Apparently changes are on the way, though it may be a while. The aeb-l urbans had some criticism when they were rolling out.
Yes, some did, but not all. My only gripes were the stiff back springs/actions and the spinning pivot. Otherwise it is pretty nice for the $$.

This new one is nice, but the spring is really very hard. It is so hard I do not try to close it with one hand, in fact. It may break in, some, but the action on the UKPK is better. The action on every Roadie is better. The action on my Pingo is better.

The Urban LW is the perfect Urban carry knife. I hope Spyderco addresses these two issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Hi Doc, Urban is my favorite design so far from Spyderco (since I became spydercoholic 17 years ago). I bought K390 when it was released, it had somewhat stiff spring and was harder to operate as well but now after so many years of use the knife is smooth as butter and sometimes too easy to close and open :rolleyes:

This Christmas I recieved from my lady wonderful AEB-L Urban which I adore and already the action is way smoother than when I recieved it. Mind that I use knife daily for different small chores.

Some might as well think what to use such a petite blade for? Well sandwich prep, using it for fun as paring knife, cutting some rope or cube tobacco for my briar pipe - therefore small chores where precision and extreme sharpness is needed. MOST IMPORTANT of all is it is just FUN :D

Looking forward to buy N690 one and whatever will be released next. I am just surprised by the blade length difference as I would expect more consistency. Can`t imagine buying my beloved Delica discovering it has shorter blade than my FFG Grey VG10 piece. Handle blade ratio not being followed is still bugging :spyder: me but not in a good way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always pleasure to read - gosh I missed this forums and all of you guys :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

PaloArt wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:34 am
Hi Doc, Urban is my favorite design so far from Spyderco (since I became spydercoholic 17 years ago). I bought K390 when it was released, it had somewhat stiff spring and was harder to operate as well but now after so many years of use the knife is smooth as butter and sometimes too easy to close and open :rolleyes:

This Christmas I recieved from my lady wonderful AEB-L Urban which I adore and already the action is way smoother than when I recieved it. Mind that I use knife daily for different small chores.

Some might as well think what to use such a petite blade for? Well sandwich prep, using it for fun as paring knife, cutting some rope or cube tobacco for my briar pipe - therefore small chores where precision and extreme sharpness is needed. MOST IMPORTANT of all is it is just FUN :D

Looking forward to buy N690 one and whatever will be released next. I am just surprised by the blade length difference as I would expect more consistency. Can`t imagine buying my beloved Delica discovering it has shorter blade than my FFG Grey VG10 piece. Handle blade ratio not being followed is still bugging :spyder: me but not in a good way.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always pleasure to read - gosh I missed this forums and all of you guys :D
Yeah, it is one of my favorites as well. Maniago bugs me with their inconsistency, though. I decided to try and loosen the pivot on this new one and guess what? The it is sized T-9. All of my other ones are standard T-8. I don't have a T-9 torx bit. I have a T-8 and a T-10, but no T-9. I thought perhaps the head was stripped, but nope, it is a T-9.

I hope Sal tightens them up. Other knives from Maniago, such as my Pingo, and 13 or so Roadies I have bought, have all been perfect. Why the flagship Maniago model with all of the minor irritating issues.

Yes, my K390 and my AEB-L have smoothed out a lot. They are not as nice as either of my UKPKs or my Pingo, but are better than they were. This new one is in a whole new league, though. It is really nice in most ways, but those two issues, spring and screw...What is happening there?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050