Wooden scales on Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Wooden scales on Spydercos

Post by Paraguy »

Hello everyone! I'm thinking of making some wooden scales for my Manix because I have access to loads of beautiful wood flooring scraps. From wood like curly maple, walnut, cherry and just about any other north American hard wood you could think of. So I was wondering why you don't see too many after market wooden scales on Spyderco's and if it could be a successful business. I do understand that Spyderco's main purpose is to be more utilitarian. Yet, not everyone actually needs the amount of grip that g10 offers and may prefer something more visually alluring. PS I have access to a vacuum chamber for stabilizing.
"Some call me...Tim?"
SG89

Re: Wooden scales on Spydercos

Post by SG89 »

If you do good work forumites will be lining up to buy your scales. Trifectcustomshop works with wood too and he has an account here and a website. Good luck to you, custom scale makers are cool people.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of making some wooden scales for my Manix because I have access to loads of beautiful wood flooring scraps. From wood like curly maple, walnut, cherry and just about any other north American hard wood you could think of. So I was wondering why you don't see too many after market wooden scales on Spyderco's and if it could be a successful business. I do understand that Spyderco's main purpose is to be more utilitarian. Yet, not everyone actually needs the amount of grip that g10 offers and may prefer something more visually alluring. PS I have access to a vacuum chamber for stabilizing.
Why don't you see too many? I think the main factors are added cost to the average end user and general lack of availability. Many people who see a wooden-scaled Spyderco and think "holy #@% that's beautiful, I must have it!!" may change their tune when they realize the scales alone add an additional $100 - $200 (depending on material, finish,etc) to the cost of the knife.. and those that are willing and ready to pay for the scales will likely run into issues actually finding a set to buy! Chances are good that they will actually have to research scale-makers, communicate with the maker directly, have the scales specially made for their knife model, and then wait possibly months or more to receive their custom scales. In the "click to buy now" world we live in, this just doesn't translate with the average end user..

That said, I absolutely think a market exists for wooden Spydie scales. A skilled maker with a sense for social media will have a pretty solid chance at finding buyers and making a successful business out of it. Spydergirl mentioned Trifectcustomshop.. he popped up overnight and seems to be killing it. Another is Match Anderson Customworks.. he mostly does scales for TRM Neutron/Atom (and some Spyderco).. Match went from selling scales in a facebook group that he made for fun on the weekends to what is now, I understand to be, a full-time business.. all in the course of a year or so. Though scale making is a bit of a niche-market within a niche-market, I think social media has contributed to a rapid proliferation in knife customization and this only seems to be increasing.. the key is harnessing this interest and directing it your way. If a successful wooden knife scale business is your endgame, I don't think a lack of customers will be the reason it doesn't succeed..

Anyways.. let us know how your scales turn out! I'd be interested in seeing some of your work! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I love wood scales on Spydercos.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Here's some of the referenced Trifectcustomshop scales that Chris made for my Watu.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am
I love wood scales on Spydercos.

I like what they did to make it more grippy; it's pretty and practical.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Am i the only one who cannot see Paul's images?
I love wood scales myself, and if it wasn't for the cost i would have more!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:11 pm

I don't see them either
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I like wood scales very much for their beauty. I'm pretty sure the fact the even stabilized wood scales can warp and shrink is one reason Spyderco is hesitant to use more wood.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JMM wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:36 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:

I don't see them either

Click on the image with the right button of the mouse and choose "open image in a new tab"
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Larry_Mott wrote:
JMM wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

I don't see them either

If I had to guess, I'd bet you don't see my avatar either. In which case you're most likely using Chrome or some other browser that only allows links to images from HTTPS sites. Sorry, but while I can see the benefit of https for commercial and interactive sites, mine isn't, so I've never seen the need to spend the extra $$$ for that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:48 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
JMM wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

I don't see them either

If I had to guess, I'd bet you don't see my avatar either. In which case you're most likely using Chrome or some other browser that only allows links to images from HTTPS sites. Sorry, but while I can see the benefit of https for commercial and interactive sites, mine isn't, so I've never seen the need to spend the extra $$$ for that.

As I explained in my previous post there is a way to see your images even using Chrome.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
haydenfox2021

Post by haydenfox2021 »

I think the primary demand for wooden scales would come from the popular models, delica/endura/endela and the paramiltary2/para 3 all knives of which have at least some sort of complex cut within the handles to nest either locking systems or steel liners. If you have some good skill with cad programming and cnc milling this side hustle could absolutely kill. Also stick to oily harder woods, from what I've seen they warp less and are generally more stable than resin stabilized woods, although I am sure you'll find rock solid epoxies/resins that'll negate that issue.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:48 pm
Ah, thank you. I had been wondering why some peoples avatar pictures disappeared.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

haydenfox2021 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:36 pm
I think the primary demand for wooden scales would come from the popular models, delica/endura/endela and the paramiltary2/para 3 all knives of which have at least some sort of complex cut within the handles to nest either locking systems or steel liners. If you have some good skill with cad programming and cnc milling this side hustle could absolutely kill. Also stick to oily harder woods, from what I've seen they warp less and are generally more stable than resin stabilized woods, although I am sure you'll find rock solid epoxies/resins that'll negate that issue.
I think I'm gonna put a router bit on my drill press for pm2/para3
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

image.png
image.png (122.92 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
image.png
image.png (123.3 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
image.png
image.png (127.77 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
image.png
image.png (119.42 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
WHOOPS!
I shouldn't have cut the wood against the grain.
I'll probably practice file work on these and use the unbroken one as a jig.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'd forgotten how much I liked wood scales until this thread. Man. Wood is good.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here’s a few of mine:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King