Backspacers: What are your thoughts? yea or nay: explain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Backspacers: What are your thoughts? Yea or Nay

Yea
60%
Nay
40%

Total votes: 47

TkoK83Spy

Re: Backspacers: What are your thoughts? yea or nay: explain

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That Yojimbo looks awesome, I'd definitely carry that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:58 pm
The ones with the stegosaurus spikes seem counter productive.
Lmao, I literally laughed out loud. So true.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Another vote for "indifferent" here (I didn't actually vote..) I typically don't mind them as an element of a design, but don't feel strongly enough to actually make a decision one way or another as to whether I prefer backspacers or standoffs.. each have their dis/advantages, but none have been been so consequential as to influence my choosing/carrying of a knife.

I will say that I strongly dislike an overwhelming majority of aftermarket backspacers that I have seen out there in the world..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:40 pm
usually, i would say nay, unless you really want to personalize a knife without actually modding it. however, in the case of the yojimbo, i've made an exception with a copper backspacer.
I like the color of the fresh copper, and I like the point on the end, but the spine would be a problem for me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like back-spacers. They add some decoration. They can be quite elaborate. But they don't always have to be included in a folder design.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:40 pm
usually, i would say nay, unless you really want to personalize a knife without actually modding it. however, in the case of the yojimbo, i've made an exception with a copper backspacer.
I like the color of the fresh copper, and I like the point on the end, but the spine would be a problem for me.
it's not as aggressive as it looks.i was a little concerned before i had it in hand too, but i really wanted the point and figured i could grind down the rest if needed. when gripping the knife, it's only aggressive enough to give a little extra grip. i can't see it being an issue ever. also, if i hold the knife backwards in my hand, it adds another non-lethal defensive option. i'll almost certainly never use this knife to defend myself, but it's there nonetheless.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DonkWurst

Post by DonkWurst »

Yea!
Because, I do not like the pocket clips.
The pocket clips are HOT SPOTS to my nerve damaged hand.
Therefore, I remove them & the knife rests completely inside my pocket.
Until I fill the gap between the scales, various objects (keys, etc) get stuck in the open back.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DonkWurst:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I care more for hidden liners than backspacer.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Probably depends on the design, but as a general rule, I prefer a solid backspacer vs. an open back with stand-offs. Just a personal preference.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

It definitely depends and I’m usually indifferent.
However, I appreciate what they do for comfort and what they can do regarding design.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:58 pm
The ones with the stegosaurus spikes seem counter productive.
Yeah, the plates and spikes Stegosaurus had on its back were at least partially meant to keep carnivorous bipeds’ hands off of it lol

There’s even a pretty gnarly fossil of an Allosaurus hip with a hole in it that paleontologists jokingly say preserves the oldest known “nut shot”. The poor guy got too close.

I say that, but if somebody marketed dinosaur themed backspacers, my paleontology enthusiast side would be tempted…

Btw, a term for Stegosaurus’s spikes is “Thagomizer” as coined by Gary Larson in a Far Side cartoon and adopted by many paleontologists.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In general I’m done buying slab-knives. A creative or even contoured backspacer might sway me in that for direction though.

Usually they offer very little structural gain. Possibly slowing dust/lint accumulation. You don’t “need” a backspacer but in a warm climate Jeep’s drive around without doors and tops as well.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I have absolutely no need for backspacers, lanyard holes or extra clip holes.

Backspacers like integral frames definitely make for a more rigid frame but they’re not really necessary.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Interestingly, the CQI’d Military Model, with its abbreviated liners, has lost its backspacer. I wonder if it was discovered that the rigidity the backspacer added wasn’t worth its weight.
Sal posted about that some time ago. The original plan was for a tritium vial in the backspacer, but the plan fell through. Structurally it was never necessary.

Edit to add: I'm pro-backspacer myself, mostly because I carry a lot of crap in my pockets all the time, so an open back is an open invitation for edge damage.
Brant

Post by Brant »

I said yes! Whether for protecting the blade, adding some stiffness, finding it in the dark or just a pop of color, why not. I like the blue titaniums and glow in the darks.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I always feel like I'm going to damage the blade on open back knives, so I prefer something with a backspacer.