Backspacers: What are your thoughts? yea or nay: explain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Backspacers: What are your thoughts? Yea or Nay

Yea
60%
Nay
40%

Total votes: 47

Paraguy

Backspacers: What are your thoughts? yea or nay: explain

Post by Paraguy »

I think they look kind of cool but what's the point?
image.png
image.png (117.82 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
"Some call me...Tim?"
TkoK83Spy

Re: Backspacers: What are your thoughts? yea or nay: explain

Post by TkoK83Spy »

They don't make much of a difference to me. Nice when they look good and add some flair, but I also like the open back construction for easier cleaning.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno, needs an "indifferent" vote option. I tend to favor pillar construction so they're easy to rinse out. The Military used to have a short little back spacer that didn't run the whole length of the handle and that one actually helped with ergonomics quite a bit during hard use because it kept your skin from smashing in between the liners so I guess in that way they can aid in ergonomics. The ones with the stegosaurus spikes seem counter productive.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

If the knife needs a backspacer to make it more rigid or to stop somebody's finger from touching the blade then I'm all for it, but to just add one for looks... Nay.
•• Beau
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like having a backspacer because if a knife is loose in my backpack there is less chance something dings the edge. The ones with thick jimping look silly to me though.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wanting a “Depends” choice, I didn’t vote because the lock matters.

I’d rather not have a backspacer if its only purpose is decorative, as in the original Techno. One of the reasons I like the RIL (as in the Techno) and compression/liner locks is they allow for an open back, thus easy cleaning

Midlocks and slipjoints need full-length backspacers for tensioning (except for the marvelous T-Mag, which has the most open back of any Spydie, I do believe). And the CBBL needs a nearly half-length backspacer to house the spring.

Interestingly, the CQI’d Military Model, with its abbreviated liners, has lost its backspacer. I wonder if it was discovered that the rigidity the backspacer added wasn’t worth its weight.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

usually, i would say nay, unless you really want to personalize a knife without actually modding it. however, in the case of the yojimbo, i've made an exception with a copper backspacer.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m another who wants a “depends” option, so no vote from me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I like some of the aftermarket backspacers I've seen for the pm2 so I voted yes. That being said, I've never bought one myself. Not yet anyway
kobold

Post by kobold »

Totally depends on the design and locking mechanism. Eg, yea in a back lock knife. Or they might help with the balance, eg see the Shaman. Or just look good.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I voted Nay, not because I don't like them, but because they're much harder to pull off well than barrel spacers. It has to be even and complementary with two other separately finished pieces of metal, since any finish problems are immediately noticeable. It's just more complicated, and complication raises price. Plus if it's a knife that's gonna get dirty (or even just carried often) a full backspacer will catch dust and debris.

Again I do like them, just in moderation.

edit: There's also no difference in function that I can think of, MAYBE if you're really bearing down on a push cut a full spacer may make a difference, but I beat on my caribbean which has barrel spacers daily and I've never noticed a hot spot. It's really all aesthetics vs cost.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like them. Certainly do make a handle a bit more comfortable when using the knife really hard (I mean, imagine designing a really comfortable fixed blade handle: No one would ever create it with just two narrow "ridges" and a gap between those on the handle back, right? More and rounder surface where the pressure can get distributed better is always a pro imho).

Actually the closed back is one of the backlock advantages for me as well as one of Manix 2 LW over Manix 2 G10.

Is it a big deal for me though?

No, not at all. I would never add a backspacer just for a tiny bit more comfort on my Tenacious for example.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Never taken a Spyderco apart as never had to.

Have thought about a backspacer but never overly pursued it.
Took years to actually buy a deep carry clip but was buying a Lynch prybar so loaded up.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:40 pm
usually, i would say nay, unless you really want to personalize a knife without actually modding it. however, in the case of the yojimbo, i've made an exception with a copper backspacer.

That is pretty sweet looking. I think a glass breaker back spacer would make a lot of sense. It would probably be really expensive to make a tungsten back spacer. Yours makes sense for the Yojimbo since the handle is designed as an impact weapon anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:24 am
That is pretty sweet looking. I think a glass breaker back spacer would make a lot of sense. It would probably be really expensive to make a tungsten back spacer. Yours makes sense for the Yojimbo since the handle is designed as an impact weapon anyway.
and the backspacer isn't sharp, but it's pokey and... persuasive. more importantly, it protects my pants. since the blade stock is thick, there's enough room for the material of my pants to fold in and get caught on the tip of the knife. i cut a small hole in one pair of pants that way. i'm sure it would also work against a window in an emergency.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I'm pro backspacer, as long they don't stick out. But it's not a must have.
They protect the blade a little, the knife feels more comfortable while using and usually it just looks better.
But I would not don't buy a knife, just because there is no backspacer, they are more a "nice to have" thing.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Hmm... does that thing ever dig into your side?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:46 pm
I voted Nay, not because I don't like them, but because they're much harder to pull off well than barrel spacers. It has to be even and complementary with two other separately finished pieces of metal, since any finish problems are immediately noticeable. It's just more complicated, and complication raises price. Plus if it's a knife that's gonna get dirty (or even just carried often) a full backspacer will catch dust and debris.

Again I do like them, just in moderation.

edit: There's also no difference in function that I can think of, MAYBE if you're really bearing down on a push cut a full spacer may make a difference, but I beat on my caribbean which has barrel spacers daily and I've never noticed a hot spot. It's really all aesthetics vs cost.
I guess what i meant was removable ones
"Some call me...Tim?"
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:58 pm
I dunno, needs an "indifferent" vote option. I tend to favor pillar construction so they're easy to rinse out. The Military used to have a short little back spacer that didn't run the whole length of the handle and that one actually helped with ergonomics quite a bit during hard use because it kept your skin from smashing in between the liners so I guess in that way they can aid in ergonomics. The ones with the stegosaurus spikes seem counter productive.
I second the “indifferent” motion. I really don’t care either way.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Hmm... does that thing ever dig into your side?
it doesn't at all. if i had it in my waistband, it would be uncomfortable, but the yo2 is already uncomfortable there anyway. in my pocket, i only notice it when i reach in to grab my phone. even then, it doesn't bother me because i put the backspacer there for a purpose. conversely, the backspacer on my zt0350 always bothered me because it served no real purpose but to give extra grip in a reverse grip and to tear up my hand every time i reached into my pocket.
current collection:
spyderco steels: