Salt 2 ffg: Difference in opening hole diameter and thumb ramp steepnes between wharnie- and drop point version?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Salt 2 ffg: Difference in opening hole diameter and thumb ramp steepnes between wharnie- and drop point version?

Post by Wartstein »

(I´ve asked this here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88925&start=120#p1514630 already, but figured people might overlook the question in that thread, so just copied and pasted it in a dedicated one):

Looking at the drop point and the wharnie Salt 2 ffg, it seems like the wharnie has the smaller, and the drop point the larger diameter opening hole.
This would (and looks like) also make a difference concerning the steepness of the thumb ramp (steeper on the drop point), and mean, that the ergos of the wharnie should be almost 100 % like on a Delica, while a bit less so on the drop point (when the thumb is placed on the steeper ramp, the hand gets pushed a bit further back on the handle for example)

Anyone who has both and can confirm?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: Salt 2 ffg: Difference in opening hole diameter and thumb ramp steepnes between wharnie- and drop point version?

Post by Evil D »

I haven't looked at these enough to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the holes are in different places and the thumb ramps are different. The Caribbean blades differ in this way, or at least the blades close into the handle differently so the hole on the sheepsfoot sticks out from the handle a little further and makes opening feel different. I think these changes are sometimes necessary with different blade shapes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Re: Salt 2 ffg: Difference in opening hole diameter and thumb ramp steepnes between wharnie- and drop point version?

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 am
I haven't looked at these enough to know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the holes are in different places and the thumb ramps are different. The Caribbean blades differ in this way, or at least the blades close into the handle differently so the hole on the sheepsfoot sticks out from the handle a little further and makes opening feel different. I think these changes are sometimes necessary with different blade shapes.

That´s good info, thanx!

But actually here it seems like in the Delica both the wharnie and the drop point have the smaller hole and less steep ramp, while in the Salt 2 ffg (same handle shape as the Delica) the drop point version gets the larger opening hole and consequently steeper ramp... could be wrong though, just looks a bit like that.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Wartstein:

I just pulled a sample of each and laid one over the top of the other. The thumb ramp contours are identical, as is the hole location. The Salt 2 Wharncliffe has a hole diameter of .51. The Salt 2 Drop-Point's hole is .040 larger, at .55.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 am
Hey, Wartstein:

I just pulled a sample of each and laid one over the top of the other. The thumb ramp contours are identical, as is the hole location. The Salt 2 Wharncliffe has a hole diameter of .51. The Salt 2 Drop-Point's hole is .040 larger, at .55.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike! :)

So I did see right that the drop point Salt has an a bit larger opening hole than the wharnie.

But good thing that obviously by that the thumb ramp did not get steeper (...than on the wharnie Salt. It is steeper than on the Delica anyway).