Military sprint run with a different handle? :O

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Military sprint run with a different handle? :O

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:59 pm
Why ruin a great handle when the PM2 already exists?
Vivi! :eek:
I am surprised YOU are asking this... ;) - short blade on the PM2 ?!

I think just making the handle shorter at the end would not really change the feel in hand - very rarely people will grab (especially the long) Millie that far back anyway!
But again: I support the ops idea only if this would be one single version, and in all other Millie versions the handle would remain as it is...
Maybe people with smaller hands, but I use the entire handle. Let's look at some photos:

First of all, there really isn't much handle you could cut off regardless of your hand size:

The blade goes nearly to the rear end of the landyard tube already. You could shave maybe 3mm off the butt end and make the knife a little less ergonomic and slightly more pocket friendly.

If a knife is too long for your pocket, carry it somewhere else. IWB, clipped to a cargo pocket, rear pocket, etc.

Now lets look at how the Millie sits in my hand VS a Tasman Salt:

If I wanted a knife handle to terminate in my palm like that, I'd carry a smaller knife. But I don't. I prefer having handle there instead of nothing. Compare:

The handle supports my entire grip, which is how I want it. Chop off ANY part of the rear end pinky hook and the handle will feel worse to me. Chop off any of the butt end past the lanyard tube and the handle will dig into my palm like a smaller knife.

There is no way to take the current Military handle and simply chop off some of the rear end while still retaining the same level of ergonomics for my hands.

Look, there's a million small and medium Spydercos. The Para 2 is basically what the OP is asking for already.

There's maybe four or five Spyderco folders I've tried that I feel fit my grip perfectly. Chief, Manix XL, Military, Police and Chinooks.

Even a lot of models people consider on the larger side like Enduras, Shamans, PM2's, Sirens and Mini-Manix's don't feel perfect in my grip. Useable, sure, but they feel a little small for my hands.

Call me selfish but it feels like every week there's a request for a mini this, lil that. Ya'll have what, 30-40 models designed for average sized hands? Plus over six times the sprint runs as I get? Anyone wanna tally up Para 2 sprints VS Police 4 or Manix XL?

Let's keep the 4-5 folding models that actually fit my hand size as is, please. Slim enough selection as it is.
:unicorn
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I have to agree with others here that such a change seems arbitrary when there are already sooo many options for different hand sizes- this includes two smaller sizes of the same shape in the PM2 and Para 3 models. I personally love the Military just how it is (I’m even against the compression lock update,) and I’m not sure what’s to be gained by such a small change.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
kobold

Post by kobold »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 am
I wonder if there even will be another Military released before the Military 2 is announced. Haven't seen a new sprint or exclusive in awhile... I wonder if the Military will get the S45VN treatment?
If I don't see a MagnaCut Military someday I'll riot.

I agree. I have a special rioting pitchfork ready.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SG89

Post by SG89 »

kobold wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:18 pm
Stainless or carbon steel?
> or < 63 Rc?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

kobold wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 am
I wonder if there even will be another Military released before the Military 2 is announced. Haven't seen a new sprint or exclusive in awhile... I wonder if the Military will get the S45VN treatment?
If I don't see a MagnaCut Military someday I'll riot.

+1. It's the only (other) Millie that I would add to my collection. When you decide to start the dance give me a call.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, Baron, I’m open to what you have in mind for your designs, but not for what you have in mind for Sal’s designs. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m firmly in the “leave the handle shape alone” camp. But I am definitely wanting different types of handles if that makes sense. Such as the diamond arc g10 and fluted carbon fiber versions. I would flip over a LW frn/frcp too.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:20 pm
kobold wrote:
Stainless or carbon steel?
> or < 63 Rc?

Maxamet :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:59 pm
Why ruin a great handle when the PM2 already exists?
Vivi! :eek:
I am surprised YOU are asking this... ;) - short blade on the PM2 ?!

I think just making the handle shorter at the end would not really change the feel in hand - very rarely people will grab (especially the long) Millie that far back anyway!
But again: I support the ops idea only if this would be one single version, and in all other Millie versions the handle would remain as it is...
Maybe people with smaller hands, but I use the entire handle. Let's look at some photos:

There is no way to take the current Military handle and simply chop off some of the rear end while still retaining the same level of ergonomics for my hands.

Look, there's a million small and medium Spydercos. The Para 2 is basically what the OP is asking for already.

Even a lot of models people consider on the larger side like Enduras, Shamans, PM2's, Sirens and Mini-Manix's don't feel perfect in my grip. Useable, sure, but they feel a little small for my hands.

Call me selfish but it feels like every week there's a request for a mini this, lil that. Ya'll have what, 30-40 models designed for average sized hands? Plus over six times the sprint runs as I get? Anyone wanna tally up Para 2 sprints VS Police 4 or Manix XL?

Let's keep the 4-5 folding models that actually fit my hand size as is, please. Slim enough selection as it is.

Vivi, I fully understand why the Millie feels great in your hand and should generally remain like it is! Thanks for the detailed reply and the pics anyway! :)

My surprise was not about that you want the Millie to remain like it is, but that you implied (and still do) the PM2 could serve already as a Millie with shorter handle - surprised, cause as said, the PM2 has a much shorter cutting edge (too short for my taste for a general EDC knife), but a shorter handled Millie would keep the long cutting edge - perhaps the main Millie advantage (among several!) for me!

So I just was not opposed to the ops idea to issue one single sprint run with a more compact, more carry friendly handle, but leave all other Millie versions alone!

And, Vivi, I am certainly not one of those who demands "minis" of existing Spydies, but just the opposite.. ;)
My constant proposals for a Chap XL might already annoy some people, and that´s just one example, especially when it comes to longer cutting edges, generally and in already existing handles ;)

And from a purely selfish point of view it almost started to annoy me how many variants knives like th Para 3 (for me personally not useful as a general EDC) got, while the large, general EDC knives so often miss out (though to be clear: I am glad that people who like those small folders get what they want!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am
Those are some big paws.

Nope. Those are mediums.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Redesigning a handle is not a sprint. It's a new model.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 am

Not necessarely... The straight spine Stretch had a modified blade for example and was a sprint. And I think the op meant the handle would get just a bit shorter, but otherwise remain the same.

Though I have to admit: The SS Stretch sprint probably was a bit of a "test drive" for that blade shape in order to perhaps make it regular production.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

But the handle remained the same on the Stretch, just as it did on the Kahr Delica, wharncliffe Delica and Endura and the tanto Para2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:55 pm
But the handle remained the same on the Stretch, just as it did on the Kahr Delica, wharncliffe Delica and Endura and the tanto Para2.
araneae wrote:Redesigning a handle is not a sprint. It's a new model.
Thinking about it: I have to agree, you are both right. A "sprint" with a differently shaped handle would most likely not really be a sprint. Or at least a first of its kind in the sprint arena.

Plus: I think a differently shaped handle would probably be more cost intensive than a different blade shape or handle material or steel.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Maybe contouring the scales would help it? But what your really saying is you need a gigantic lanyard tube
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:55 am
araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 am

Not necessarely... The straight spine Stretch had a modified blade for example and was a sprint. And I think the op meant the handle would get just a bit shorter, but otherwise remain the same.

Though I have to admit: The SS Stretch sprint probably was a bit of a "test drive" for that blade shape in order to perhaps make it regular production.
A blade shape is WAYYYY easier to change than a handle in production.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal