Military sprint run with a different handle? :O

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Military sprint run with a different handle? :O

Post by Baron Mind »

Ok, time to get dragged in the comments.

I love the Spyderco Military blade shape and dimensions. I think it's a close to perfect design. I would love to see it housed in a different handle...

I know there are tons of diehard Military purists out there, but to me, the Military handle is bigger and bulkier than it needs to be for most users and uses. I know it was designed with glove wearing armed forces in mind, but is it crazy to want a version designed with bare handed EDC users in mind?? I don't think so.

I don't have a sketch or anything, I'm not that smart, but in theory, a shorter, slimmer, more stream lined, and less bulky handled Military sounds like an appealing concept to me.

Please, show mercy...
kennethsime

Re: Military sprint run with a different handle? :O

Post by kennethsime »

Hmmm... I like the big military handle, both with gloves and without. What I'd really love to see is a Crucarta military, or maybe an OD Green Canvas Micarta K390 Military.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds good to me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 pm
Sounds good to me
Right?

To offer a little more meat and potatoes:

The Military blade is 4", the handle is 5.5". A lot of designs chase blade to handle ratio, or attempt to pack in as much blade into the handle as possible, approaching a 1:1 ratio. I am not advocating for that, but even still, most blade to handle ratio indifferent designs usually come in with a 1" difference between the blade and handle, i.e a 3 inch blade and a 4 inch handle. Smaller knives often feature a larger handle to allow for a smaller blade while maintaining enough handle for a full grip. For a 4 inch blade, I don't see the need for an additional 1.5 inches of handle. Cut off the last half inch giant hook and the Military would look a lot less odd, be lighter, and easier to carry.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:09 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 pm

The Military blade is 4", the handle is 5.5". A lot of designs chase blade to handle ratio, or attempt to pack in as much blade into the handle as possible, approaching a 1:1 ratio. I am not advocating for that, but even still, most blade to handle ratio indifferent designs usually come in with a 1" difference between the blade and handle, i.e a 3 inch blade and a 4 inch handle. Smaller knives often feature a larger handle to allow for a smaller blade while maintaining enough handle for a full grip. For a 4 inch blade, I don't see the need for an additional 1.5 inches of handle. Cut off the last half inch giant hook and the Military would look a lot less odd, be lighter, and easier to carry.
I don´t think the Millie handle looks "odd" but actually pretty cool and "inviting", in the sense that one (I at least ;) ) wants to grab and use the knife immediately - but of course this is totally subjective.

That being said: My Millie had about the perfect general use folder blade length for me, but indeed it felt a bit too long in pocket.
So practically speaking I´d not be opposed to a version (not replacement, but you are talking of "only" a sprint anyway!) with a shorter handle - along the lines of the Aramis scales (pic 1), or just rounding off / shortening the back end of the handle, roughly like in pic 2.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why ruin a great handle when the PM2 already exists?
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 pm
Hmmm... I like the big military handle, both with gloves and without. What I'd really love to see is a Crucarta military, or maybe an OD Green Canvas Micarta K390 Military.

Don´t want to derail the thread, but I think a Micarta Millie would feel like a different knife - much heavier and especially much more handle heavy: Even in the Micarta PM 2 they had to go from nested to full liners for structural stability with Micarta. So they´d certainly have to abandon the minimal liner of the Millie and also go with full (not even nested!) liners on both sides. Much heavier as said.
Not necessarily an bad thing, but for me the typical "Millie-feel" to a large part comes from its rather light weight for the size (that being said: Stylewise (a bit rougher) Micarta would REALLY suit the Millie well! :) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm

That is pretty nice, Gernot! Where did that come from?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:59 pm
Why ruin a great handle when the PM2 already exists?
Vivi! :eek:
I am surprised YOU are asking this... ;) - short blade on the PM2 ?!

I think just making the handle shorter at the end would not really change the feel in hand - very rarely people will grab (especially the long) Millie that far back anyway!
But again: I support the ops idea only if this would be one single version, and in all other Millie versions the handle would remain as it is...
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It might be simpler to have someone grind off the back of the handle to your liking BM, like in Wartstein's second picture. That would certainly give you what you want and would not be expensive to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 am
Wartstein wrote:

Those are scales by aramis (aratech.ru) - on the bottom of this page http://aratech.ru/index.php?route=produ ... ary&page=2 you should find some Millies with them.

Someone on this forum posted pics of his (her?) Aramis Millie several times, that´s how I got aware of it.
Never seen those scales "in person" though.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 am
Wartstein wrote:

From Aramis
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFMrymsCRNf ... bupegl2ugt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 pm
Ok, time to get dragged in the comments.

I love the Spyderco Military blade shape and dimensions. I think it's a close to perfect design. I would love to see it housed in a different handle...

I know there are tons of diehard Military purists out there, but to me, the Military handle is bigger and bulkier than it needs to be for most users and uses. I know it was designed with glove wearing armed forces in mind, but is it crazy to want a version designed with bare handed EDC users in mind?? I don't think so.

I don't have a sketch or anything, I'm not that smart, but in theory, a shorter, slimmer, more stream lined, and less bulky handled Military sounds like an appealing concept to me.

Please, show mercy...

Yes. It's crazy, this thread is crazy, you're crazy, and I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing.

OK seriously I do have to ask, do you own a Military? I had to buy one and actually use it and carry it for a while before it made sense to me. It's not a knife that makes sense on paper or in pics. It's a perfect example of how what you think you want and what you really need aren't always the same thing. This knife opened my eyes to the benefits of larger knives. If you searched back far enough in my posts you'll find me making the same comments about the handle being far bigger than it needs to be, but now it's one of my absolute favorite knives. Using is believing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

^^ this!

Davids everywhere agree: the Millie handle may look too wide and long, but in hand it's perfection.

That said, those Aramis scales look like a great solution for those who want a slim Millie.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Leave the military alone. No changes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I wonder if there even will be another Military released before the Military 2 is announced. Haven't seen a new sprint or exclusive in awhile... I wonder if the Military will get the S45VN treatment?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

The handle is the one thing that made me hesitant to get a military originally. I fully planned on getting those aramis scales but once I put it into my rotation they seem perfect.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind having the option for slim scales if they were a sprint/exclusive run.

Have you tried the Native Chief? It has a similar cutting edge to the Military but in a much slimmer handle. I find myself carrying it more because of this.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 am
I wonder if there even will be another Military released before the Military 2 is announced. Haven't seen a new sprint or exclusive in awhile... I wonder if the Military will get the S45VN treatment?

If I don't see a MagnaCut Military someday I'll riot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah no one ever gets a full grip on the military.
When I wear gloves my finger actually fits in the choil of the blade. Reducing the hump on the end wouldn't be a terrible change in my opinion. As much as I love my military the p4 fits better. But once I get the military in my pocket it's hard to stop carrying it.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Those are some big paws.