Which spyderedge knife is the sliciest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Which spyderedge knife is the sliciest?

Post by Sonorum »

I have a fully SE Endela which I love but I can't help looking at other fully SE knives and thinking, what if? I have yet to pull the trigger on a Caribbean although I've put in the basket about a million times. I keep thinking it wouldn't slice as good as the Endela but I carried my 12 per side PM2 today which slices very well so maybe the blade thickness of the Carribean wouldn't be so bad after all.

If you could choose the sliciest fully SE knife, which would it be and why?

As a side note, I'll never ditch the Endela but I've got my eyes on a K390 one...
/ David
Wartstein

Re: Which spyderedge knife is the sliciest?

Post by Wartstein »

Salt 2 ffg SE.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Probably one of the Z-cuts, followed by the kitchen utility knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 pm
Salt 2 ffg SE.
Agreed. Super slicy!
Chaparral CTS-XHP | Lil’ Native SE S30V | Native 5 LW REX45 | Salt 2 SE LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Martijn wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 pm
Salt 2 ffg SE.
Agreed. Super slicy!

Yes, 2.5 mm stock in a rather tall blade is just a sensible choice for a cutting tool... And I don´t fear at all that it could be too "weak".
Though JRinFL of course will be right that the dedicated Spyderco kitchen knives are even slicier.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

If we're talking non -kitchen knives, probably either the Dragonfly Salt or else the ARK.
The Dfly in particular has a very high, thin hollow grind with only 2mm blade stock.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's more to it than blade stock thickness, but probably is going to be the Rock Jumper, Delica wharnie, or Caribbean.

If you consider other knives that aren't kitchen knives or folders then the ARK wins by a landslide. It's by far the thinnest ground serrations I've seen yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:58 pm
There's more to it than blade stock thickness, but probably is going to be the Rock Jumper, Delica wharnie, or Caribbean.

If you consider other knives that aren't kitchen knives or folders then the ARK wins by a landslide. It's by far the thinnest ground serrations I've seen yet.

Totally right!
But if everything else is equal (blade height, edge angle, thickness behind the edge, tapering, "coarseness"...) the knife with the thinner blade stock will slice better (especially when slicing through stuff with larger diameter).
And most of these other parameters (of course not blade height) can be changed realistically or at least a lot easier by the end user than blade stock thickness.
So I am sure a knife with thinner stock, "tuned" by someone with even just basic skills, will slice better than a thicker knife "tuned" the same
That´s also the main reason why I personally don´t really understand smaller folders with a thicker blade than necessary (and the Delica/Salts 2.5 mm are strong enough for everything a folder gets used for in my experience)

/ Delica Wharnie SE must be a great slicer indeed! Certainly on par with the Salt 2 ffg - which has a taller blade at the "hump" I think, but not over the whole length of the blade.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Can we talk slicy SE on a blade other than FFG?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

After reading this thread, I just ordered a Delica 4 Wharnie SE and a Pacific Salt 2 SE. My SE collection is really starting to grow.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Delica SE wharnie is pretty dang slicey...

Slices better than this very acutely sharpened Dragonfly IMO.
-Turbo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would immediately have to put up my Spyderco Catcherman models. I have full SE and CE and PE Catcherman blades and I won't part with any of them.

Now for something in the full Spyderedged column I would have to put my full SE TEMPERANCE 1 model.

And for strictly a plain edged unit I would go with my PE version of the TEMPERANCE 1 as well. But there are so many that cut exceptionally well that I would spend an hour talking about them.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

What about the C25 Centofante SE? It's 2mm thick Ats-34 wharncliffe style blade has to be one of the sliciest behind the Catcherman.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

My SE Z-Cut, definitely.

As far as serrations go, the VG10 Cook’s knife.

Regarding folders, the SE section of my 52100 CE PM2. It’s thicker stock than the models mentioned above, but it really does glide almost effortlessly through material.

There’s discussion from time to time about a FFG 52100 UKPK. I think an SE 52100 version would be an amazing slicer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought more about this and I think if you exclude kitchen knives, it has to be the ARK. There just isn't another knife in the catalog that's thinner blade stock or ground thinner. The edge is so thin on these that they almost seem fragile. I bet it's even thinner at the very edge than a Z-Cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

ARK is very slicey.

I've not tested many SE blades, but I would also put the jumpmaster 2 up for consideration.

She's a beast.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

My wife is plumb dangerous with her new SE Z-cut knife . A nice slicing machine.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

C54BMS Calypso.