IT'S KNIFE GIVEAWAY TIME!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: IT'S KNIFE GIVEAWAY TIME!!

Post by JRinFL »

The lighting was poor, and for some reason I failed to upload the edited picture.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

The red scales are pleasant
Just one more knife...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

David included his own Product Information Guide in the box. It's a hoot to read & has some useful sharpening/maintenance information. Maybe we can get David to post a copy here?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Congrats JRinFL and way to go, Dave! I commented late so that I won't be included in the draw LOL.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:47 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 pm
It’s here!

EDCarib.jpg

Considering all it went through, it looks practically new. Outside of the color and Evil D’s edge, that is.

I have to thank David again for his very generous give away. It must have been a sacrifice to give up such a good knife!

Very cool!! :)

Though: It does not look really red anymore - ?! (Just the lighting in the pic I guess)
Here is a much better picture showing the true colors.
EDCarib.jpg
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:22 am
David included his own Product Information Guide in the box. It's a hoot to read & has some useful sharpening/maintenance information. Maybe we can get David to post a copy here?

LOL, I had to pull it out of the recycle bin but here ya go.

Congratuations! You are now the proud new owner of this wonderful Caribbean! Enclosed are some basic care and feeding instructions which will ensure that you and your new friend live a long and (mostly) healthy life!

1. Your new friend enjoys being sharpened at 30 degrees inclusive/15 degrees per side. The front serrations have been reprofiled down to well below 15 degrees at the top of the bevel, but the very edge/micro bevel is best kept at 15 degrees for edge stability. The back side of the blade may also be sharpened at 15 degrees, but you may also enjoy leaning the blade over towards the Sharpmaker rod until the blade is nearly flat against it. This will achieve an even lower inclusive edge angle and increase cutting performance.

2. Your new friend comes pre lubed with Phil Wood bearing grease. This is our preferred pivot lube and we find that it helps to keep pocket lint and crud from making its way into the pivot area. Should you decide you want to try some other type of lube (no idea why you would), it is advised that you disassemble the knife and clean this grease off before adding your own (surely inferior) lube.

3. Your new friend enjoys a healthy diet of various materials which include but are not limited to; Drywall, old car tires, electrical wires, coax cable, cow bones, aluminum cans, hard and soft woods, fingers, and the occasional squirrel who can't outrun you. We at Evil D Inc. encurage you to experiment with feeding your new friend a healthy variety of foods! We're sure you'll discover all sorts of new favorites.

4. Should you and your new friend experience edge damage due to explosive gastral intestinal catastrophie or other similar mishaps, it is advised that you fix this edge damage using the Sharpmaker CBN or Diamond rods. This can be achieved simply by sharpening the knife as you would with any other grit, being sure to use a very gentle touch and avoiding too much pressure, while making passes until you see the edge damage is removed. It is recommended that you stick with the 15 degree setting to accomplish this, and then continue moving on through the grit progression using the medium/fine/ultra fine rods. This will quickly correct whatever poor choices you have made and bring the edge back to fighting shape.

We at Evil D Inc. are more than delighted to bring you this exciting new experience and are sure that no (permanent) ill effects will come to you as a result of inheriting this Caribbean and want to wish you many years of exciting new adventures!!

DISCLAIMER: Under no circumstances is Evil D Inc. (LLC) responsible for your lack of interest and utter disgust in other knife models as a a direct result of receiving this knife. Furthermore, Evil D Inc. will not, under any circumstances, be held responsible for your loss of interest, desire, appreciation, sex drive, mental focus, or any other form of lust towards other knives. Evil D Inc. reserves the right to deny all involvement in this situation, should you choose to sell off all of your other knives after experiencing the sheer brutal awesomeness that is the Caribbean. Additionally, Evil D Inc. shall not be held accountable in the event of bodily/property/intellectual harm of any kind due to the poor handling of this instrument of mass separation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That PW bearing grease must be the best. This is the smoothest knife!
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Haha, just gets better and better. Got me googling that grease now (though I admittedly have never had any issues using BM Blue Lube myself)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:57 pm

It's my favorite lube but I did also polish the blade tang and that's a big part of the smoothness. Even if you just polish the detent ball path it helps a lot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

D, that product info guide is priceless!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:57 pm

It's my favorite lube but I did also polish the blade tang and that's a big part of the smoothness. Even if you just polish the detent ball path it helps a lot.
It is impressive! If we could get Spyderco to do a quick machine polish on the tangs, it would increase their appeal.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rashman

Post by rashman »

very nice work Evil D! congrats again JRinFL - i’m excited to know how your new friends diet exploration works out

may the 4th be with you
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie