It’s time for a green salt Dyad !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: It’s time for a green salt Dyad !

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-44 Dyad ( 2001 era) has been on my personal Top 10 list for many years now. I've been a big fan of most all of Spyderco's Dyad models for quite some time. I do like the C-44 ( the big one) the best and I actually EDCed one for a little over a year and if they ever make another one with one of the newer/better blade steels I would grab on ASAP.

I've been patiently waiting for Spyderco to come up with a full sized Salt Series Dyad. I would love one in LC200N.

The concept of the Dyad is just another sterling example of Sal Glesser's genius knife designs. Yes It's Time for A SALT SERIES DYAD!! :cool:
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 am
elena86 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:30 pm
Just imagine a lw green salt Dyad with black coated blades. I wouldn’t mind a non-coated one though... just bring it back.
You must have a spy camera or something! Hahaha! I have out my Seki made, double bladed Buck knife. Great pocket knife with a high hollow ground drop point and a serrated sheepfoot blade on the other end, with opening holes.

I was thinking Spyderco could make this better and a good tweak of the Dyad, fixing some of its weaknesses would be a great idea.

LC200N Salt version would tip it over the edge of fantastic.
Do you have pics of this knife? I'm super curious about a japanese-made Buck with spyder holes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Just imagine a lw green salt Dyad with black coated blades. I wouldn’t mind a non-coated one though... just bring it back.
You must have a spy camera or something! Hahaha! I have out my Seki made, double bladed Buck knife. Great pocket knife with a high hollow ground drop point and a serrated sheepfoot blade on the other end, with opening holes.

I was thinking Spyderco could make this better and a good tweak of the Dyad, fixing some of its weaknesses would be a great idea.

Do you have pics of this knife? I'm super curious about a japanese-made Buck with spyder holes.

This is not my picture. They came in two sizes. One smaller and the larger one, which I have, has a near 3" blades.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -160495480

The handle has a samurai sword on it with the word Sekiden. It is one of the sharpest knives I have ever bought. I got it to keep in my kit overseas so when I flew I would always have a pocket knife on the other end waiting for me.

It is a liner lock with a nicely hollow ground spear blade and a hollow ground sheepfoot that is half serrated.

Imagine changing that to a round hole and putting a Spyder on it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I would love to see the Dyad make a comeback as a Salt model. Kinda seemed like a knife destined for saltiness
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just want one of these...

...Constructed entirely out of LC200N, with jigged mammoth ivory or something.

Or, do the same thing with the Dyad Jr.

As much as I love the C44, it's just too large. If I were to have another, I would make a hip sheath for it to be carried in.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

This is not my picture. They came in two sizes. One smaller and the larger one, which I have, has a near 3" blades.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -160495480

The handle has a samurai sword on it with the word Sekiden. It is one of the sharpest knives I have ever bought. I got it to keep in my kit overseas so when I flew I would always have a pocket knife on the other end waiting for me.

It is a liner lock with a nicely hollow ground spear blade and a hollow ground sheepfoot that is half serrated.

Imagine changing that to a round hole and putting a Spyder on it?
I had one of those double-bladed BUCK models at one time. I traded it to a fishing buddy who really liked it. But he was a BUCK fanatic anyway. But for no more than that 2 bladed BUCK model cost it wasn't a bad for a "plain jane" EDC model.

There aren't very many premium knife producers who make a high end, double bladed folder that I'm aware of.

For me Spyderco's DYAD is at the very top of the list with no close second :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see a knife shaped like the Ayoob on the PE blade but with a SE hawkbill on the other side. The shape of the handle would better match the shape of the hawkbill blade and would envelope the blade better when using the PE blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:04 am
I'd like to see a knife shaped like the Ayoob on the PE blade but with a SE hawkbill on the other side. The shape of the handle would better match the shape of the hawkbill blade and would envelope the blade better when using the PE blade.
Yeah I've thought along those lines myself. They could take one of those mariner type folders with a Marlinspike and instead of the marlinspike they could do a Hawkbill blade like you suggested. That could be an awesome tradesmen's folder. I really do like that idea myself.

I remember about 8 years back it seemed like Benchmade had a knife similar to what you described but it had a smaller plain edged blade instead of a Hawkbill for a second blade. I tried to snag one of those BM models but they had a lofty price tag and I was really beat up financially at that time.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bump. Throw us a bone Sal !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:04 am
Very clever idea.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 am
elena86 wrote:

+1 The big one (C-44). Non-coated, please. I would buy half a dozen.
I too would like a Salt version of the C-44 Dyad. The C-44 model has the size to where I could do a lot of vital work with it.

And I would not object to a lighter handle but I would personally opt for a G-10 handle rather than FRN or some other lightweight material.
araneae

Post by araneae »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:54 pm
Give me lc200n with a green scale on that side and serrated h1 with a yellow scale on the other side. :)

You are the winner!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Zive

Post by Zive »

VooDooChild wrote:
Give me lc200n with a green scale on that side and serrated h1 with a yellow scale on the other side. :)
+1
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Zive wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:54 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
+1
Yes please!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:00 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

You are the winner!

He is! Very cool idea!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Count me in especially if C44 lacks liners like the original . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Count me in. I’d love it if it was the Jr. size, but I’d buy the C44 size if push came to shove.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

VooDooChild wrote:
Count me in.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I did some more thinking about a Salt Dyad and what it could be to separate it from the previous models and possibly improve it in a water environment . A lot of marine type knives incorporate the Sheep-foot blade partially serrated which makes the serrated blade on the Dyad a perfect fit . So why not use the same blade style in plain edge on the opposing side ? Doing this the user could use safely and have a full blade length for each blade type . If this sounds blah sorry I’m just tossing around another potential idea . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would salivate over a Caribbeanized dyad of a caribbean size. My micarta dyad is ATS55 I think and did develop some rust.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.