Delica options for the wife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Delica options for the wife

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was in the ole knife room finishing up a nice, coarse grit on M4 Para 3 just yesterday when my wife and dog come in and sit on the floor to hang out :) My wife has handled and used a few of my knives over the years but has never really paid too much attention to them. She has a Ladybug on her keychain and a SAK that she keeps in her cupholder in the car.

She started tinkering around and told me that she really likes the way the Delica feels in her hand...except she doesn't care for the frn material (hmmm, wonder where she gets that from :p) I've never been big into the Delica, but honestly can't think of any decent options at the moment that are available for her that aren't in frn??

I offered to to swap my blue Terotuf scales from my SE Wharnie to the DLT Cruwear model...but she doesn't want a black blade. Besides that, I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment!

Anybody know of any Delica's out there that aren't frn, and wouldn't have to spend secondary market prices to get? (I had the Pakkawood version in the past, but I remember she didn't like the "slick handle")
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Re: Delica options for the wife

Post by steelcity16 »

They really need to Cru-carta the popular Seki models. OD Green Canvas Micarta.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great that she obviously is getting more into knives and you can share the hobby to some extent! :)

But looking at this recent thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89430: I think this will be a hard quest... :o

I bet you´ll get custom scales in the end anyway for her... so perhaps let her choose right now which one she likes, get a VG10 regular Delica and those scales ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Byrd Meadowlark and Harrier are both about Delica size and have G10 handle options.

On the other end of the price spectrum, the Spyderco Mantra 3 is also Delica size.

All of those have handle profiles that are similar to a Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

In several regards a different knife, I know, but similar to the Delica in size and price and with imho a very nice G10 handle:

The Alcyone https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C222GGY/1058 - perhaps worth looking at?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Just put the blue terotuf scales on a satin delica blade? Perhaps the dlt exclusive 20cv satin?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I say you get her the 20cv delica from DLT with the satin blade and splurge on some really nice micarta scales from Suingab, or terotuf in her favorite color from Fireside. You know she deserves a really nice personalized knife!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Maybe show her the Mantra 3? It should feel similar to Delica in hand (so my understanding).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Jared

Post by Jared »

I’d probably just get her a satin bladed Delica and find some aftermarket scales she likes.

Now do be careful getting the wife into knives, as it can become a very very costly hobby for you, haha. I learned the hard way on that one. In all seriousness though, it’s really cool that after as many years as we’ve been together, we still find new things to do with each other.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Currently only FRN, Stainless, Titanium, and Pakkawood (exclusive) available unless you go aftermarket or secondary market. The stainless, titanium, and pakkawood models will all feel slick though.

Sante Fe Stoneworks could also be an option but those would also feel slick and end up being quite pricey.

SMKW also offers a few different customized Delicas with their own scales, but again they do not have texture and would feel slick in hand.

There are a number of different Delica exclusives still available, mostly with FRN though. If she likes the look of damascus, Knifejoy still has their Delica exclusive available, which could be a good candidate for a blade swap into some aftermarket scales.
-Nick :bug-red
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Bento Box Shop had the blue or red jigged bone handle Delicas with a Damascus blade
The $500 price is another issue
Happy wife, happy life

You might find a Fradon Lock Delica in HAP40 on the secondary market as well, if smooth CF is to her liking.
Mine's a razor blade and sharpens like a dream
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

If slippery is a concern yer beat cuz all thats available is wood or metal. So frn is where your at. Frn seems to always get a bad rap. Its strong, lightweight, durable, impervious to the elements. Makes a difference in colder winter months too! They are little warmer. It'll match the ladybug in her keychain too...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not surprising that the Delica is to her liking since it was designed with a woman's hand in mind, if I recall. Of all of the handle materials, FRN is still top, but... you could get her a Ti Delica and have someone engrave it so that the handle has some texture to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been thinking about getting my wife a Delica. She's always carried a Native, but I was thinking the Delica may be easier to open since the thumb ramp moves the hole out from the handle. Have they made a Delica in the Tiffany blue yet/S90V? That's her favorite Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 am
...Have they made a Delica in the Tiffany blue yet/S90V? That's her favorite Native.

Teal Delica exists, but in VG10, not S90V. Picked one up when they were available a while back. Intended to gift it to my daughter when she was old enough, but then the Teal Dragonfly dropped and I ended up giving her that one.
:spyder:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I have two sets of the Flytanium CF scales and despite them having no macro-texture, they're definitely significantly grippier than other smooth composite scales I own.

G10.lt also has lots of nice textured scale variants.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My wife refused every knife I offered her. Then, she saw my Watu and stole it.

I know it's not a Delica. But, it is a fantastic knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Every women who has handled my knife collection has fallen in love with the Spyderco “S”

They say

- compression lock is easy
- feels great in the hand
- feminine looking (looks like lace, they say)
- blade length is not obnoxious
- it’s compact
- it’s cute!