Thoughts / Opinions - Endura-based models; steels, shapes, and whatnot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Thoughts / Opinions - Endura-based models; steels, shapes, and whatnot

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

OK - I keep asking for help deciding, but I figure that's one reason this forum exists. Plus having been on multiple forums for years, I know that many of you love to talk about this stuff, and nobody else wants to hear it, so here you are... :)

Anyway; I'm wanting to order a couple more knives and think I might want one on the Endura platform, but would like some input.

I have a Caribbean and an Endela, both serrated; and I think I may be one of those serrated guys. I haven't used either very much really, but haven't come across any downsides yet.

So looking at the serrated options, I'm seeing:

Endura
The standard blade shape is only available with a hollow grind. Reading here, it seems that FFG is the way to go for serrated, but to get an FFG serrated blade, I'd have to go with the wharncliffe. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider. These have liners.

Pacific 2 Salt
For serrated, the standard blade shape is available in either FFG or hollow grind; in LC200N or H1 respectively. Slightly larger hole/hump, and slightly more sheepsfooty. No liners on these.

I remember reading one member's comment that the Pacific Salt 2 (LC200N) felt cheap, especially compared to his Caribbean; and I also know I've read about issues with blade play. I'm sure it has it's fans though, and I also know the Endura is a time-tested favorite.

So - any thoughts or opinions on these options are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
spoonrobot

Re: Thoughts / Opinions - Endura-based models; steels, shapes, and whatnot

Post by spoonrobot »

Speaking strictly of SE models: If you place to cut a lot of vegetables, fruit, or plant material I'd make FFG your focus as it cuts noticeably better in these materials. If you're just looking for general use I'd make the choice based on weight and handfeel, as the performance difference is not that great for what I cut.

The Pacific 2s are lighter than the Endura and feel less robust, the LC200N significantly moreso than the spec sheet would have you believe.

Based on what you have already, I think the SE LC200N Pacific Salt is what you should buy. It's different enough from both your current knives and very capable in it's own right. The LC200N disappears in a pocket or waistband since it's so light. A nice option to have, IMO.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Endura/Pac Salt is my 2nd most favorite platform behind the Endela, so I have some experience here. I personally prefer the heftier feel of the Endura vs. the linerless Pacific Salt 99% of the time. My Pacific Salts don't have blade play necessarily, but the Endura does feel more solid with those liners. I have both the LC200N SE and H1 SE Pacific Salt 2s. The FFG is definitely better for slicing, but the H1 Saber grind feels beefier for sure. All are good options. Comes down to personal preferences.

If you have never had one of the linerless Salt series knives I'd start there with the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N SE. This will let you see if you like the linerless knives.

The ultimate here would really be an Endura Salt (with rustproof liners and hardware) in FFG LC200N SE. Maybe one day.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Jason,

some more points that might be interesting for you:

- The VG10 Endura SE is not hollow (sabre) grind but "just" sabre grind. The Pac Salt in H1 is actually hollow sabre grind

This does make a clear difference! While the hollow grind is an extremely good cutter when it comes to matter with not too much diameter (cordage...), the sabre grind is - performancewise - certainly the poorest choice between hollow (sabre), ffg and "only" sabre. The primary bevel is just too obtuse in the sabre grind.
Where the sabre grind really shines: Extreme use - but of a kind you won´t / can´t do with a folder anyway, except with the tip!
If you expect work were extreme tip strength is a concern (you have to work fast, hit metal, do prying...) the sabre grind is great.
But: In most normal knife tasks the tip will be less useful!

Now the K390 Endura SE WILL come in ffg - but I assume K390 in SE will be pretty tough to sharpen, and edge holding is better in SE than in PE anyway, so I´d go with VG10, H1 or LC200N..

- Pac Salt 2 in ffg (LC200N

Great knife from what I hear! (Don´t have one yet, but the smaller Salt 2 in ffg SE) - It will certainly feel less sturdy than an Endura with liners and technically will BE less sturdy - but it is still way strong enough.
- There seems to be a bit of a variance concerning blade play, right! I´d make sure to try that if you buy in a brick and mortar store, or tell the online dealer to check for bladeplay and send you a perfect one...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm
The ultimate here would really be an Endura Salt (with rustproof liners and hardware) in FFG LC200N SE. Maybe one day.

I am with you!

Though I personally would not need the rustproof part (but of course would not mind it either) - A regular VG10 Endura SE, but in ffg (just like the Endela comes in) would be perfect already for me.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. I think I may bump the Pacific Salt 2 up on my short list.

Any other comments about this are appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific 2. Lighter, rust proof, simpler to disassemble.
:unicorn
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am really enjoying my new k390 endura PE. Had it only 3 weeks but its been in my pocket most days. Lynch clip is a nice addition too....
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks again for all of the replies - I just ordered a Pacific Salt 2 in SE, LC200N.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am
Thanks again for all of the replies - I just ordered a Pacific Salt 2 in SE, LC200N.

Jason

Make sure to tell them to check for (no) blade play!
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Actually I did put that in the comments on my order - to check for blade play and centering.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW