Future Para 3 LW Sprints & Exclusives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Future Para 3 LW Sprints & Exclusives?

Post by Matus »

I am somehow getting really attracted to the Para 3 LW, but being one that appreciates cool steels and colorful handles, I am wondering what Sprint and Exclusive runs may be in the pipeline. We have so far seen 20CV in blue and Rex 45 in burned orange (which I would pick now if these could be found).

I would especially love to see a black 4V / Red FRN from St. Nick or something along those lines. I am kinda hoping that the next reveal (should be coming in about a month or so to my understanding) will have some cool Sprint Para 3LW :)

What would others love to see?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Henry_P

Re: Future Para 3 LW Sprints & Exclusives?

Post by Henry_P »

There was also a red M390 that came out a while back. As for the future, I’m sure there is something with a tool steel in the works, k390, cruwear, M4, etc.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

When the Para 3 LW came out there was a ton of hype still around the G10 Para 3, so the LW version rode that wave. I remember someone saying that they talked to Eric at one of the shows and Eric said there were already 20+ exclusives commissioned on the Para 3 LW. I think we have seen like 2 or 3 so far at the most. So not sure if that was an accurate number, or if they are just that far behind and we will start seeing a bunch of new exclusives here soon.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ric

Post by Ric »

@matus
Did you checked out the Spy27 so far?
Not exclusive but excellent knife and awesome color.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Matus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 am
I would especially love to see a black 4V / Red FRN from St. Nick or something along those lines
I haven't chatted with the guys from SNK for awhile but a SNK Para 3 LW exclusive wouldn't surprise me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think an REC in the same config as their last two would sell like nobody's business.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Matus

Post by Matus »

Ric wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:53 pm
@matus
I am not going to lie - the knife looks lovely, just the price feels a little too high - around 170€ here in DE (compared to 115€ for the BD1N version or 170€ for the S30V/G10). I really like the blue handle and the steel is going to be fine (as far as I understand somewhat in the ballpark of S30V and S35VN). If I could get for more-less the same price a Cruwear or 4V, I would much prefer that. I am going to try to check out the LW (did not have a chance to see one in person yet) and if I like it I might get the Spy27 - and should I grow bored of it, I can always add the Maxamet in with grey G10 and swap the blades (Nick did that and it work without any issues). So there are options. But I will most likely wait until the next reveal and see whether a few months down the road a version may show that I might want more.

EDIT: I should have not checked the original prices of the SNKs 4V exclusives. I mean - G10 Para3 was $155, Native 5 $125 ... makes me cry ...
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

There are definitely more on the way, but unfortunately we wont know exclusives until a week or so from the drop. The 20cv version was fairly recent so it should be floating in and out of the secondary market, and the others pop up occasionally. Im hoping for a Salt version in LC200N
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’d trade my left foot for one in k390 or m4, or another in rex45.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I think we'll see the trend continue and see Para3 LWs & Native Chiefs (among other Golden models) from the bigger shops like St. Nicks, BladeHQ, CS, KJ, etc... I'm really hoping for a DLC S90V/OD Green line-up from DLT like the PM2 they just dropped, it's an awesome colour combo IMO, a Shaman would be awesome in that config.
Mugman16

Post by Mugman16 »

para 3/2/even 1 in lc200n instantly becomes my everyday knife. a full salt para would be perfect.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:43 am
Bbs still has k390 in stock
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I'd like to see a BHQ rex45 with copper scales, like the pm2 exclusive they had last summer...
Matus

Post by Matus »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:58 pm
aaronkb wrote:
BBS seem to have some funky prices on many of the limited models they offer. No wonder they are in stock ... like the Para 3 LW in Rex 45 for $300 ... are they an actual vendor, or just snatch cool pieces from regular vendors and sell them at a higher price?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Well the k390 is a bbs exclusive, that's the only place you're getting it.

They're a real dealer (one man show) - he'd rather hang on to his stock, and sell them at msrp
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd kill for BBS to run a Para 3 LW run in Ranger Green and K390.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Ric wrote:
@matus
Let me give you my second reply (and yes I know I just replied to a different thread on BD1N). The BD1N just arrived and while I ordered it solely just to get the knife in my hand (I like it a lot!), I went online to learn more about how the steel performs in hands of youtubers that do a lot of testing - and it is apparently very close in performance to Spy27 - what makes the price difference even harder to justify (even though I love that blue color). Plus the BD1N has a really beautiful finish I.

I am now wondering whether I should not simply keep the BD1N and get more relaxed about cooler steels - or at least give myself the time until one comes out that will make it worth a while for me to do the swap and until then get to know this knife/steel better. Hmmm ...
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:58 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Thanks, I actually have that! But I want the LW specifically. I suppose if I ever get desperate I could probably buy another as well as a LW and do a blade swap, but at that point it’d be cheaper to just get the previous LW rex45 run secondhand.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I payed 140€ for the BD1N and 180€ for the SPY27.

For a nice blue handle with the firtst ever Spyderco-invented steel - it's a good price.

All non lightweight Para 3s costed 200+.

Nowadays the issue is not how much it costs but ARE YOU ABLE TO GET IT.
On many I had no chance to get it because I am not US.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Ric wrote:
Let me give you my second reply (and yes I know I just replied to a different thread on BD1N). The BD1N just arrived and while I ordered it solely just to get the knife in my hand (I like it a lot!), I went online to learn more about how the steel performs in hands of youtubers that do a lot of testing - and it is apparently very close in performance to Spy27 - what makes the price difference even harder to justify (even though I love that blue color). Plus the BD1N has a really beautiful finish I.

I am now wondering whether I should not simply keep the BD1N and get more relaxed about cooler steels - or at least give myself the time until one comes out that will make it worth a while for me to do the swap and until then get to know this knife/steel better. Hmmm ...

BD1N is great and for me sharpens to a very keen edge even easier than VG10.
In my use it seems to be not to bad in edge retention too.

But in Larrins about 10000 times more objective testing BD1N has less edge retention than even VG10 and so certainly below Spy27 (though of course edge retention is just one of many parameters concerning performance).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)