High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 pm
We always get excited about the new steel even when it’s difference in performance is marginal. We are now being offered geometry that will actually show a significant increase in performance. I hope there is similar excitement about this. A $12 Opinel will out cut every Spydie that I own but the edge retention is lacking. I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.

I can't wait to someday see both in the same knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
We always get excited about the new steel even when it’s difference in performance is marginal. We are now being offered geometry that will actually show a significant increase in performance. I hope there is similar excitement about this. A $12 Opinel will out cut every Spydie that I own but the edge retention is lacking. I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.

Good points. I still use a box cutter on cardboard because no other Spyderco can blast through cardboard as quickly. I am interested to try the Delica and will be buying one for sure.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm
I can't wait to someday see both in the same knife.

This is exactly what I am hoping for from this model, fingers crossed!
~andrew
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm definitely interested!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.

This is starting to happen - there are a ton of custom fixed knife makers on the seven and growing that prioritize geometry - BBB, Steingraber, Deep Cuts, etc. - not to mention the healthy regrind services available. So there's definitely demand. To my mind, the question is how much that demand translates to a wider market beyond the hardcore afi scene.
~andrew
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

toocool006 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.

This is starting to happen - there are a ton of custom fixed knife makers on the seven and growing that prioritize geometry - BBB, Steingraber, Deep Cuts, etc. - not to mention the healthy regrind services available. So there's definitely demand. To my mind, the question is how much that demand translates to a wider market beyond the hardcore afi scene.

To answer with a question, are we still knee deep in the hard use mall ninja knife generation or are we back around to using knives as cutting tools and not pry bars?
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Link to BF post?

Is that an exclusive? Or a sprint run? Or ?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
...I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.

Knife afis still want small folders with almost 4mm thick blades... I think the starting point for good, performance geometry is thinner blade stock (or at least this is the parameter that is the hardest to change for the end user )

The Delicas 2.5 mm is a good start and with thin hollow grind it will be great! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm
toocool006 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

To answer with a question, are we still knee deep in the hard use mall ninja knife generation or are we back around to using knives as cutting tools and not pry bars?

Unfortunately I think most are still in the apocalypse knife mindset and if they can’t drive a tank over it, it’s not worth their money. Meanwhile I’m absolutely in love with my Centofante 3.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm
toocool006 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Unfortunately I think most are still in the apocalypse knife mindset and if they can’t drive a tank over it, it’s not worth their money. Meanwhile I’m absolutely in love with my Centofante 3.

I'm guilty of both honestly. Different knives for different uses. I would want a 2mm Shaman just as much as I'd like a 6mm Shaman. It's just a shame that the trends go all the way towards one or the other.
~David
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm

I'm guilty of both honestly. Different knives for different uses. I would want a 2mm Shaman just as much as I'd like a 6mm Shaman. It's just a shame that the trends go all the way towards one or the other.

It’s only recently that I’ve gotten rid of some of my more tank-like folders in favor of slicier designs, so I do know what it’s like! I’ve been enjoying (beating) the heck out of some brute force fixed blades too lately, so maybe that satisfies that itch for hard use stuff. Not that Police and Military models aren’t hard use..
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
brancron

Post by brancron »

This is awesome news. The main reason why Spyderco is my favorite knife company is that their knives, as a whole, consistently perform better than the competitors at actually cutting stuff. As someone else mentioned, there is a new generation of makers (BBB, Steingraber, Deep Cuts, etc.) who have taken cutting performance to the next level with a much greater focus on geometry and heat treat. And Spyderco is already well placed to be on the "cutting edge" of this movement with respect to production knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'll have to see the result. I have been tuning my knives to my needs for 40 years or more. What is being discussed is not real new to me.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 am
cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am
And ... hopefully it comes with a deep carry (wire) clip from the factory!!!!

CG

Wire: ok
But please not deep carry... :o
Why not for you?

I much enjoy the UKPK, Sage, and Chaparral ... moreso than the standard clip on my Seki. I like being discrete and it rides well and deploys easily and doesn't feel any better or worse in hand.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just to be sure:

Some here find this to be "awesome / great...news" - it IS awesome indeed, but isn't this the performance Delica Sal has been talking about several times here already and at one point even asked if we'd like to see this model ?

Anyway and however it may be: Great that such a knife seems to become a reality yet!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

I am really trying to not buy any new knives these days and enjoy the ones I have. I have even refrained from buying the K390 Delica and Salt 2 LC200n buy telling myself the Mantra 1 fills these roles for me. But I think I would need to grab this one when it comes out
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 am
cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am

Wire: ok
But please not deep carry... :o
Why not for you?

I much enjoy the UKPK, Sage, and Chaparral ... moreso than the standard clip on my Seki. I like being discrete and it rides well and deploys easily and doesn't feel any better or worse in hand.

CG
Just personal preference and of course I fully respect if one likes deep carry or wants or even has to conceil the knife.

I slightly prefer the spoon clip over wire (though I like both), what I personally just don't like at all is deep carry, however this is achieved, in knives longer than let's say the Chap (and luckily the Chap is not really deep carry, it just has a loop over clip).

Makes a knife longer in pocket, less well accessible, and even when one - like I do - reaches with the thumb deep into the pocket when retrieving the knife, the hand is in a less good position for opening with deep carry.
And for me it just looks "wrong"... :o

The deep carry was the thing I really disliked in my Kapara for example: Actually a shorter package than my Enduras, but in pocket it felt still larger/longer...
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

This has my interest.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm
Link to BF post?

Is that an exclusive? Or a sprint run? Or ?
Here's the original thread.

AFI Performance Flash Batch
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79799
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:05 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 am
And please... keep the pointy tip of the older generation Delicas!
WORD!

For me this depends on how much tapering on the spine is going on... If this model tapers exactly like the current Delica, but has a thin, high hollow grind, the tip would get very fine (fragile?!) anyway. Then the a bit reenforcing drop would be nice to have!

This knife will be about slicing, not about an extremely pointy tip for me...

Just my 2c of course. I don´t like when I have to worry about the tip when having to work fast and can´t take real care.
I never took care of my Delica first gen. In fact i didn't like it at first, it was a classic case of aquired taste :) I was weaned on Buck 110 and Schrade LB7:s and thought the Delica was very Toys-R-Us at first, but that tip never broke in spite of me jabbing it into wooden poles to get both hands free etc.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.