High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Probably late to the game with the regarding steel discussion. I would have liked an intermediate steel like XHP to have been used. A bit better edge retention than VG10 but still easy to machine.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure logistics are involved, or BD1N could have worked also.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I am wondering if a wharncliffe blade might be included in the high performance Delica project or not? I'm guessing not, but figured I'd ask.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Again, changing the steel to any other steel would not allow for a direct comparison with the other Delicas. This allows us to see the difference between geometries and not steels. Isn't that the whole point of this experiment?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

No.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:34 am
Again, changing the steel to any other steel would not allow for a direct comparison with the other Delicas. This allows us to see the difference between geometries and not steels. Isn't that the whole point of this experiment?

I thought so but maybe I misunderstood. I do think this is why ideas like this don't make it into production more often.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, I guess if the main point was to make the most high performance Delica in existence, then this one is off the mark.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:08 am
Well, I guess if the main point was to make the most high performance Delica in existence, then this one is off the mark.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think your thoughts are spot on VG10 should be the used , go with another at a later date if interest is there . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:56 am
JRinFL wrote:

I thought so but maybe I misunderstood. I do think this is why ideas like this don't make it into production more often.
If they followed through with the initial premise with K390, comparisons could be made with the high performance HHG Delica and the K390 FFG standard Delica model just as easily.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:19 am
If they followed through with the initial premise with K390, comparisons could be made with the high performance HHG Delica and the K390 FFG standard Delica model just as easily.

This wasn't a Spyderco decision, the manufacturer in Seki said that working with K390 in this grind was too difficult. So this isn't a question of follow through, but more along the lines of what is possible with the current manufacturer.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Hopefully the new Golden facility will be able to do HHG K390 in some of their designs. Other MFRs have no problem doing FFG in lesser steels. One of the main draws of Spyderco for me is their innovative use of contemporary steels. Now whether their Seki MFR cannot or will not do HHG in K390 is moot. The bottom line is that it will not be done. I do hope their HHG vg-10 is a success, tho.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:19 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:56 am
JRinFL wrote:

It's not a matter of following through, that suggests that they're failing to or choosing not to. If the maker can't do it then they can't do it. We either accept the change in steel, or we don't buy it or they don't do it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Just to clarify my above post, I am very happy with VG-10. This should be a very interesting knife. I am looking forward to it.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So many great releases lately... still psyched for this one though!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I am really excited for this one. I can't wait!!
--Jeremy
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Curious what the latest on this is
sal

Post by sal »

We're just waiting like you are. When they're ready to ship, we'll let you know.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

🤞
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’m in. If the concept is popular it’d be cool to see a second run in a simple steel like super blue or aeb-l. Reading through old Cliff Stamp posts got me curious about simpler steels, and how a really stable steel ground thin and with a low edge angle would stack up against modern PM steels. Seems like this would be a logical extension of the initial experiment. Assuming I understood the goal correctly, always possible I didn’t.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

There seems to be a lot of Cru-Wear coming out of Seki lately. I wouldn't be mad if that were in the queue at some point.