High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by p_atrick »

Glad to hear that the project is moving along. Now if only I could wait patiently.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I agree with Evil D regarding the focus being on the geometry.
However, I also agree that the next step would be a steel with more wear resistance.
If that’s more attainable in Golden, perhaps a Native in this vein using Spy27 steel to start, which has better wear resistance than VG10 and responds well during sharpening.
Spy27 can be the stepping stone in this project between VG10 and the steels on K390’s level, while also being a solid option itself.

Depending on the success of the project I assume a number of variations are possible.

There have been a couple of threads akin to asking what your “perfect Spyderco” would be and I admit this project had slipped my mind.
Although, as I think I’ve said before, high hollow grinds are my favorite (especially appealing if the edge geometry is thinner than other Spydercos).
This is on track to be as much my “perfect” Spyderco as the rex121 knives I mention, or my own designs that I fantasize about.

Anyway, it’s my birthday today, so I’m going to go admire the actual “Nature’s Knives” I was gifted today. A perfect, large (3 inch), hastalis fossil shark tooth from Florida which is likely the ancestor of today’s Great White as there are transitional forms showing the progression from smooth to serrated teeth.

These sharks, whose teeth are very blade like and quite sharp also lived alongside megatoothed sharks which are famous for their more robust morphology and massive size.

One was slicing through the flesh of marine mammals and fish, much like Great Whites, while the other was crunching through the bones of larger, whale-sized, prey.

It’s always been about geometry!

Edit while writing this:
I suppose Sal is right on time with the birthday present! :winking-tongue
I had no concerns, but thank you for the update bringing good news.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m in for one or two when they come out.
Would probably be among the few knives I’d want duplicates of.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Happy birthday Cl1ff,

I have one of those shark's teeth. It really supported my belief in natural serrations.

sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:50 pm
Thoughts?
How about color? I’m guessing black is expected, but I wouldn’t mind seeing something with a little more color. When I think performance, I think red like a Ferrari. Some people have strong feelings about that being the color of trainers. Fair enough. Then I thought about a racing stripe. But we already have the Thin Blue Line and Thin Red Line models. How about putting a different colored back spacer in the knife? The traditional American racing colors are white with two blue stripes. The inverse is common too. Would it be possible to have white with a blue backspacer? What about white with blue on the inside of the scales (assuming this isn’t too similar to the Thin Blue Line models)?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

:winking-tongue
sal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:36 pm
Happy birthday Cl1ff,

I have one of those shark's teeth. It really supported my belief in natural serrations.

sal
Wow! Thank you, again!
Whenever I manage to visit you and Spyderco, at a show or in Golden, I’ll be sure to bring along some of my fossil teeth.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sal wrote:
Hi Awa,

Funny you would bring that up. It was yesterday that we contacted the maker on the model. It's not a matter of "how long the model takes". The maker is also very busy and running at capacity. Mostly making existing models that are also growing in demand. So we're constantly adjusting priorities on models on the "hold" queue. We just asked for the 2023 price on the HP Delica model and we'll be moving it forward in the next few weeks. It will still take a while before you get them, but you will get them. Also it's just a sprint so I'll need to pick quantity in the next few days. Thoughts?

sal
I wonder if on this one you couldn’t err on the high side of quantity. In the worst case if you make too many you’ll probably draw the eye of folks who want a regular delica anyway. I think a niche market probably wants these, but a huge market doesn’t NOT want these if that makes sense.

I’m in for two or three myself.
Last edited by sethwm on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Great news ! Make it 2000 sprint in SPY27 !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

VG-10 is fine, and makes sense. SPY27 checks another box for me. I want one for sure. I hope for any other color than black.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I think 2000 sounds like a good quantity as well.

VG10 has its rationale, as others have previously stated, since you'd be able to do a more direct comparison of the "high performance" aspect of the grind against existing VG10 FFG models. But I also wouldn't complain about using a higher edge retention steel!

Red scales to signify the high performance, just like with cars people normally equate red with fast.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think it will be as popular in vg-10.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:32 am

It wouldn't be as a standard production knife but in a sprint or flash batch it'll sell out.

VG10 is funny, people hate on it but try finding a VG10 Caly 3 for sale. When those were discontinued their value went through the clouds. I remember offering an even trade to a guy for a brand new CF/ZDP Caly 3 for his used VG10 Caly 3 and he turned me down. If Spyderco stopped using VG10 tomorrow people would want it more, and I bet in a blind comparison most people couldn't pick it apart from Spy27.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:56 pm
I just posted on the HP Delica thread. The order will going into effect in the next few days. I don't think we'l use MaganaCut on the first Sprint of this variation, probably VG-10 since it's the grind and not the steel being discussed.

sal
I guess that clears it up on steel choice. Nothing wrong with VG10!
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:50 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:32 am

It wouldn't be as a standard production knife but in a sprint or flash batch it'll sell out.

VG10 is funny, people hate on it but try finding a VG10 Caly 3 for sale. When those were discontinued their value went through the clouds. I remember offering an even trade to a guy for a brand new CF/ZDP Caly 3 for his used VG10 Caly 3 and he turned me down. If Spyderco stopped using VG10 tomorrow people would want it more, and I bet in a blind comparison most people couldn't pick it apart from Spy27.
VG-10 is awesome. I’ve never had a steel that I’ve been able to get sharper. It’s stainless enough, and easy to sharpen. Peter from Cedric and Ada showed really impressive retention results at like 11 dps. Really appreciating the sharpenability.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can't speak to the interest from the knife community as a whole, but I imagine I'll pick up at least 2-3, maybe more depending on price. They'll make good presents to good friends.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm luke warm on VG10, but like Sal says, it is the grind that is important here. Using VG10 allows us to make a direct comparison with between FFG Delicas and the new high performance grind Delica.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Hi Awa,

Funny you would bring that up. It was yesterday that we contacted the maker on the model. It's not a matter of "how long the model takes". The maker is also very busy and running at capacity. Mostly making existing models that are also growing in demand. So we're constantly adjusting priorities on models on the "hold" queue. We just asked for the 2023 price on the HP Delica model and we'll be moving it forward in the next few weeks. It will still take a while before you get them, but you will get them. Also it's just a sprint so I'll need to pick quantity in the next few days. Thoughts?

sal
With it being a sprint, is a particular color being utilized? The gray and green existing FRN are great IMO. Black would be fine too
sal

Post by sal »

My current thought is white, which we've used before for sprints.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

White is good because then AFIs can RIT dye to whatever color they wish.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:28 am
I can't speak to the interest from the knife community as a whole, but I imagine I'll pick up at least 2-3, maybe more depending on price. They'll make good presents to good friends.
I will be your very good friend.

Seriously, this would make a great gift knife. The Chaparral has been my go to for that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005