High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by Coastal »

This will cause me to finally try a Delica.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ready when they are :grin-big eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:29 pm
This will cause me to finally try a Delica.
The super blue sprint pushed to try one. So far i like it a lot. Kind of kicking myself for not having tried it earlier.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:07 pm
Kind of kicking myself for not having tried it earlier.

Same here. Picked one up during the Black Friday sales. I've been missing out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I do hope that this sprint will be released in high enough quantities so that everyone who wants one really gets one.

I know there is absolutely no way to ensure this, but this should really be a knife that ends up in the hands of folks who really use, test and compare it and not just be a collectors piece.

So glad they went with the Delica (and VG10) for this project !
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

This run is a Pilot run to see what this "niche" market is about. We pick a number to make and make them. A minimum of 1200 pcs. If the reaction and discussion on this concept model is good, then we'll expand. That's what we do. Salts are an example. We've introduced many "concepts" in the industry and the path for future production depends on you.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:57 am
This run is a Pilot run to see what this "niche" market is about. We pick a number to make and make them. A minimum of 1200 pcs. If the reaction and discussion on this concept model is good, then we'll expand. That's what we do. Salts are an example. We've introduced many "concepts" in the industry and the path for future production depends on you.

sal
Good to "hear", Sal!

I am not the worlds greatest edge and grind expert by any means, but I do use (and sometimes abuse perhaps) my Spydies a lot in a large variety of knife tasks.

If I can grab one of the hp Delicas (and I'll do what I can to get one) I'll certainly put it through its paces, see what it can do and share that here.

That we're talking 'bout a Delica, for me together with the Chap still the best small folder design ever, will make this even more fun.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I want one for sure. Will they be PE only?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I’ll do my best to score at least two. I am quite sure these will sell very fast. I only hope the guys from Seki will deliver. Most of my Seki blades came with uneven cutting bevels.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Oh man, in between all of the great knives announced this year, the Amsterdam meet and now this… does anyone know how to sell a kidney?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Is this actually the first sprint where the "defining feature" is the kind of grind? (And not steel for example?)
I think so? (Just can recall the "blade shape sprint" with the back then new and unique straight spine Stretch with ivory FRN scales).

Again: It will/would probably drive me a bit crazy seeing this particular hp Delica being in the hands of collectors who "just" want to own a unique Delica version and keep it pristine instead of putting that special grind to use... while folks who actually want to test and experience (and share) what it can do miss out on the model.

Best case would be of course: Great success of the sprint, followed by regular production... :smirk
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes, that, and maybe even other high performance models. We'll see how it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:33 am
Is this actually the first sprint where the "defining feature" is the kind of grind? (And not steel for example?)
I think so? (Just can recall the "blade shape sprint" with the back then new and unique straight spine Stretch with ivory FRN scales).

Again: It will/would probably drive me a bit crazy seeing this particular hp Delica being in the hands of collectors who "just" want to own a unique Delica version and keep it pristine instead of putting that special grind to use... while folks who actually want to test and experience (and share) what it can do miss out on the model.

Best case would be of course: Great success of the sprint, followed by regular production... :smirk

It's a real bummer how that happens, and it happens a LOT. There are likely more steel sprints and mules being hoarded away in collections than there are being used for their intended purpose. It makes me wish there was a program like this for real users who are committed to putting these variants to real world use and those people are guaranteed to be able to purchase one and then if any are left they can go to whoever wants to banish them to a safe.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:52 am
Wartstein wrote:

It's a real bummer how that happens, and it happens a LOT. There are likely more steel sprints and mules being hoarded away in collections than there are being used for their intended purpose. It makes me wish there was a program like this for real users who are committed to putting these variants to real world use and those people are guaranteed to be able to purchase one and then if any are left they can go to whoever wants to banish them to a safe.
As long as people are buying the knives then they should be free to do what they want with them. Maybe Spyderco could start a Beta program where spyderco sends knives/products to people (that have gone through a vetting process) to test with an expectation for certain uses and reporting/surveys (Spyderco would technically still own these knives and reserve the right to request them back). Secondarily, the beta members would be able to purchase certain knives before the general public.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Saucerito wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:40 am
Maybe Spyderco could start a Beta program where spyderco sends knives/products to people (that have gone through a vetting process) to test...

This makes me nervous. Spyderco getting to choose the select few who get early access sounds like boondoggle waiting to happen. How do prove that you use your Spydercos "enough"? Just sounds like it would be easy for fans to get "shafted" and then start bad mouthing the company for choosing other people. This could backfire in so many ways. I don't think Spyderco should wade into those waters.

But you do make a good point; there is useful information from the feedback for some of Spyderco's most loyal users. Getting this feedback earlier on in the design process is better than getting after the product has shipped. We saw a thread a while back from somebody who was given early access to a Lil' Temp 3 LW. They used it hard and shared their feedback with Spyderco. They then got a great conversation going about the knife as it was getting ready to drop. This thread helped me in my decision to purchase the knife as well.

Maybe continue something like this. Give a knife to a forum user you know will make use of the knife. If Spyderco were to trial a new serration pattern, I can think of a few forumites who would be useful beta testers. Do everything on the down low without any fanfare. It's not like the company doesn't have a team of testers they regularly employ, but a few extra, select data points might be useful.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:17 am
Saucerito wrote:
Maybe Spyderco could start a Beta program where spyderco sends knives/products to people (that have gone through a vetting process) to test...

This makes me nervous. Spyderco getting to choose the select few who get early access sounds like boondoggle waiting to happen. How do prove that you use your Spydercos "enough"? Just sounds like it would be easy for fans to get "shafted" and then start bad mouthing the company for choosing other people. This could backfire in so many ways. I don't think Spyderco should wade into those waters.

But you do make a good point; there is useful information from the feedback for some of Spyderco's most loyal users. Getting this feedback earlier on in the design process is better than getting after the product has shipped. We saw a thread a while back from somebody who was given early access to a Lil' Temp 3 LW. They used it hard and shared their feedback with Spyderco. They then got a great conversation going about the knife as it was getting ready to drop. This thread helped me in my decision to purchase the knife as well.

Maybe continue something like this. Give a knife to a forum user you know will make use of the knife. If Spyderco were to trial a new serration pattern, I can think of a few forumites who would be useful beta testers. Do everything on the down low without any fanfare. It's not like the company doesn't have a team of testers they regularly employ, but a few extra, select data points might be useful.
Good call, I definitely nominate Twinboysdad to receive an HP D4. That guy will use it!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Saucerito wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
As long as people are buying the knives then they should be free to do what they want with them. Maybe Spyderco could start a Beta program where spyderco sends knives/products to people (that have gone through a vetting process) to test with an expectation for certain uses and reporting/surveys (Spyderco would technically still own these knives and reserve the right to request them back). Secondarily, the beta members would be able to purchase certain knives before the general public.

Hope I did not come across the wrong way:

Of course everyone should be free to enjoy their Spydies exactly the way they want and if this means "just" collecting and never using: Who am I to judge, even if I personally (!!)can't understand how one can even resist to immediately uae and test any new Spydie, let alone such a performance oriented one.

I mean, there will be folks who use their one and only knife all the time professionally and won't understand why I have like 15 Spydies at the moment and though using them as often as I can, still not for hours a day. Just a different "kind of crazy" ;)

Still:If there was a way (but I can't think of one) that at least this performance model would come into the hands of mostly real users and not "just" collectors, I think this would actually be more to what Sal has in mind, right?

Best solution of course: That there are enough hp Delicas for everyone in the long run: "Users" and "Collectors" (I grant those their way of enjoying Spydercos, it is just totally not for me).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve never understood where this mentality that knife collectors don’t use their knives comes from?

There is genuinely a sense of elitism that’s so often conflated with being strictly a “knife user.” It’s almost like that collection of a dozen plus knives that stays at home on a daily basis is actually just a figment of imagination.

Most people posting on this forum are collectors… I don’t care how often you use the knives, you also collect them. (This isn’t being said to anyone specific, just the collectors who are in denial)

If the strictly knife users who don’t collect knives want in on this knife, buy it before the collectors. It really is that simple. No need for nepotism programs. If the collectors beat them to it, they should be thanking the collectors for constantly helping drive up sales.

Once this Delica is released, I anticipate the flood gates will open and we’ll see requests for every model Spyderco produces being made to similar specs. I also see potential for it to start an industry wide revelation about focusing on cutting geometry opposed to just steel type all the time.
-Nick :bug-red
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:17 am
Saucerito wrote:

I agree with you that this could open up a can of worms if not done correctly. I also don’t get the sense that Spyderco has any desire to do something like this. If they were to do a beta program, I would expect it to be a bit of an invite only type thing that isn’t openly known to the public - similar to what you mentioned.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:57 am
Saucerito wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hope I did not come across the wrong way:

Of course everyone should be free to enjoy their Spydies exactly the way they want and if this means "just" collecting and never using: Who am I to judge, even if I personally (!!)can't understand how one can even resist to immediately uae and test any new Spydie, let alone such a performance oriented one.

I mean, there will be folks who use their one and only knife all the time professionally and won't understand why I have like 15 Spydies at the moment and though using them as often as I can, still not for hours a day. Just a different "kind of crazy" ;)

Still:If there was a way (but I can't think of one) that at least this performance model would come into the hands of mostly real users and not "just" collectors, I think this would actually be more to what Sal has in mind, right?

Best solution of course: That there are enough hp Delicas for everyone in the long run: "Users" and "Collectors" (I grant those their way of enjoying Spydercos, it is just totally not for me).
No, you and EvilD did not come across the wrong way. My point was that if we want to get the knives in the hands of users then something specific needs to be done to do that. As long as everyone is able to buy the knives (and I honestly don’t know which side of the fence I’m on here), then you’ll always have collectors and potentially scalpers/resellers getting the knives before users if supply is low. Or just increase supply.