High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by Wartstein »

Igi964 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:50 am
Diference between VG10 and K390 is in edge retention. If geometry is the same they will cut both very good, but K390 much, much longer.
You probably never tried Centofante, but is 2mm stock and 0.3mm ( 0.11") behind the edge. One od the best slicers Spyderco makes. I just doubt, that 2.5mm Delica blade will be ground thinner than that.

I actually HAD a Centofante 3 for about a year or so... ;)
Very good slicer, but only for stuff with not too much diameter. Sold it cause I prefer ffg over sabre hollow.

I think the sabre grind on the Delica will be higher than on the Centofante, which would enhance "sliciness".

/ Yes, of course K390 will stay sharp longer than VG10!
But it will also be much harder to touch up or repair - a realistic scenario, cause this knife will really be for testing out that thin grind and what it can take or not! Furthermore, perhaps people will go even further and give it a steeper edge angle than the factory. Much easier with VG10.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait to see a picture of this one
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm
If none of you have ever cut stuff with a Centofante 3 or 4, you should give it a shot. That is a high performance folder right there. 2mm blade stock with a hollow grind. I have both and they are the best slicers I have.
Thanks! All I need is another knife! Hahaha! :D

Yep. 😉

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:40 am
Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm
If none of you have ever cut stuff with a Centofante 3 or 4, you should give it a shot. That is a high performance folder right there. 2mm blade stock with a hollow grind. I have both and they are the best slicers I have.

The Centofante 4 was one of my favorite box destroyers back in my retail days. That knife was also my first realization of how awesome wharnies are. It's still very high on my sprint wish list.

Agreed. The Centofante 4 is amazing. Same with the Yojimbo.

Love to see a Centofante 4 in a better steel and a different color handle. Would be badass.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks to my recent discovery of the Centofante 3 I'm very interested in this offering. But I would also second a re-release of the Centofante 4 since I'm a huge fan of the Wharncliffe and have missed out on this.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

As far as high performance goes, I would like to see what the Taichung plant can come up with.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Bump! Really excited for this.

Any color but black for the FRN please!!

Performance color, like a shade of orange or red would be awesome!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Would CPM SPY27 fit the bill?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Holland wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Performance color, like a shade of orange or red would be awesome!
I'll accept nothing other than Ferrari Red
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Any more news or details on this project? I am super excited for this particular release, and quietly hoping they "performance" enhance their entire lineup, save purpose driven releases focused on toughness or hard use or what have you. The "performance" package is the ideal configuration for your standard "EDC" knife.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Baron Mind wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:51 pm
Any more news or details on this project? I am super excited for this particular release, and quietly hoping they "performance" enhance their entire lineup, save purpose driven releases focused on toughness or hard use or what have you. The "performance" package is the ideal configuration for your standard "EDC" knife.
Ideal configuration for a KNIFE in general in my opinion!
-Spencer

Rotation:
FK

Post by FK »

"I’ve never had any fit or finish issues with any Spyderco Seki. In fact, the few fit and finish issues I’ve had were all Golden models."

Agree with T.J. I have a large collection of Seki City Spyderco knives,,, all are excellent.

Golden is behind in quality control. New PM2 Cruwear,,, out of the box,,, no detent ball on lock,,, had to send back at my expense for repair. Called customer service,,,, explanation was "Yes, they had problems with QC" How did that new knife slip through final inspection ?
Early Native BF special,, had three with severe Lock Rock up/down movement.

I continue to enjoy Spyderco and have a nice collection of PM2 and Para3 knives.

Regards,
FK
Holland

Post by Holland »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am
"I’ve never had any fit or finish issues with any Spyderco Seki. In fact, the few fit and finish issues I’ve had were all Golden models."

Agree with T.J. I have a large collection of Seki City Spyderco knives,,, all are excellent.

Golden is behind in quality control. New PM2 Cruwear,,, out of the box,,, no detent ball on lock,,, had to send back at my expense for repair. Called customer service,,,, explanation was "Yes, they had problems with QC" How did that new knife slip through final inspection ?
Early Native BF special,, had three with severe Lock Rock up/down movement.

I continue to enjoy Spyderco and have a nice collection of PM2 and Para3 knives.

Regards,
FK

Similar experience. I haven't bought a golden model in a while, but from my experience, they had the biggest variability / hit or miss factor fro F&F.

From my experience:
- Taiwan: if CRK is a 10, I would give my Taiwan models a consistent 9/10 for F&F. I have never had any issues with these models. Always very impressed with how tight and smooth all these models are, regardless of lock type and how thin the blade stock
- Japan: consistent 7/10. I don't own a single Japanese model that doesn't have lock rock (and I don't believe anyone who says they own one that doesn't), but that's just the nature of backlocks
- Golden: ive had some 9s and some disappointments
-Spencer

Rotation:
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am
And ... hopefully it comes with a deep carry (wire) clip from the factory!!!!

CG
Deep carry wire clip would be excellent!
me2

Post by me2 »

Is this out or even a sure thing? This may bump my reground Delica out of my pocket. If not I hope soon. It’s almost time to regrind mine again. I’m a little afraid of how far I’ll go this time.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

me2 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm
Is this out or even a sure thing? This may bump my reground Delica out of my pocket. If not I hope soon. It’s almost time to regrind mine again. I’m a little afraid of how far I’ll go this time.
It's happening. When? Sometime in the next year probably.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I think I see one of these on the bay now???? Carbon fiber, vg10, different 3 hole pattern clip, black box, no jimp, no drop at tip. Maybe someone her can confirm or not. I've seen lots o' Delica but have never seen this one before?????

CG
Attachments
delica (2).jpg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:56 am
I think I see one of these on the bay now???? Carbon fiber, vg10, different 3 hole pattern clip, black box, no jimp, no drop at tip. Maybe someone her can confirm or not. I've seen lots o' Delica but have never seen this one before?????

CG
I used to have one of those as well. Its based on an earlier generation of Delica (either 1 or 2 I believe), not the D4
-Spencer

Rotation:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is an older style box. Those were from quite a few years ago. Early to mid 2000’s. That was a sprint. I think they did 600 PE and 600 SE if I remember correctly. They did left hand versions too. That was a little before my time but I’ve seen them before.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Good job with the clarification guys!!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?