High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by JRinFL »

I think the "high performance" moniker is due to the grind, not the steel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Holland wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 am
What color frn do you guys think it will be? I'd rather it not be black.
Since this is about high performance, how about racing stripes? :p

How well do subtle shades of color translate from the screen to FRN? I like this shade of red, but it may not come out looking like that.

Also, I welcome VG10 in this knife. Can't wait.
Last edited by p_atrick on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 am
This. Even though I don't get excited about VG-10, it is indeed the geometry that cuts, not the steel spec. sheet. Spyderco is trying some changes here to improve cutting abilities of a knife and I can only applaud them for that.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

VG-10 is fine... I’m still in. Super Blue or Hap40 would be even better, if possible!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:38 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:27 am
Vg10 is fine. I am still interested.

Wouldn’t Vtoku2 or Super Blue be able to support that thin edge? :D
A tiny bummer about K390.

I agree that VG10 is good. V- Toku 2 or SB would be awesome. Clad Hap 40 would be cool and easier to grind than K390 if the carbide rich core could support the thin grind.
How would cladding work on a hollow grind?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Good question. Might be a good reason to use a steel without cladding, which I know would make some people happy.

EDITED for clarity
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JRinFL wrote:
I get that, but compared to the original combo suggested it is still a "partial" high performance idea. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VG10 is better, as Sal said for comparison sake against the standard Delica. It'll eliminate steel sharpening response differences and give us a true apples to apples comparison.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I get that, but compared to the original combo suggested it is still a "partial" high performance idea. :)
I hear you. Hopefully this will the first of many.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I hear you. Hopefully this will the first of many.
I'm a fan of HHG low drag for certain applications. Just disappointed they're not able to do so with K390.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bill1170 wrote:
Enactive wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I agree that VG10 is good. V- Toku 2 or SB would be awesome. Clad Hap 40 would be cool and easier to grind than K390 if the carbide rich core could support the thin grind.
The example that comes to mind is the HAP 40 Lum Tanto.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... usive/1167
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

If none of you have ever cut stuff with a Centofante 3 or 4, you should give it a shot. That is a high performance folder right there. 2mm blade stock with a hollow grind. I have both and they are the best slicers I have.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:11 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Enactive wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

The example that comes to mind is the HAP 40 Lum Tanto.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... usive/1167
Interesting to know it’s been done before. The core steel would need to be very thin on a HHG to be protected by the cladding, since the HHG keeps the blade very thin a long way up from the edge. I wonder about differences in modulus between the core and the cladding, and what effect that has on stiffness. The cladding is probably much tougher/softer than the harder core, and this should reduce the risk of big fractures from lateral loads.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm
If none of you have ever cut stuff with a Centofante 3 or 4, you should give it a shot. That is a high performance folder right there. 2mm blade stock with a hollow grind. I have both and they are the best slicers I have.
Thanks! All I need is another knife! Hahaha! :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm

The Centofante 4 was one of my favorite box destroyers back in my retail days. That knife was also my first realization of how awesome wharnies are. It's still very high on my sprint wish list.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

When the first idea came here, almost three years ago, I was all in. Lately I bought a K390 Endura and I planed some regrind on it, before it came. Its 0.20 BTE and sub 15° per side. After three months I'm still more than happy how it slice and how great the steel is. When Sal gave some hope of K390 and near production, I was glad. Not that I wanted to buy one, BC of my Endura. Still prefer longer blade, but I love thin grinds and great edge retention. Both in same knife, if possible. I am sad, about steel change..VG10 will be step back IMHO😥 Wonder why the K390 cant be used???? I'd rather pay for the regrind on my Endura, than buy HG VG10 Delica. When you want to try thin edge VG10, there is still Centofante. Delica in this configuration doesn't make sense to me. It wont be what the afi wanted, without Higher edge retention IMHO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Igi964 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 am
.... When you want to try thin edge VG10, there is still Centofante. Delica in this configuration doesn't make sense to me. It wont be what the afi wanted, without Higher edge retention IMHO.

I don't see why VG10 in the exact same geometry should not cut as well as K390..? Plus will be easier to touch up and further modify? :confused:

And I am sure this will be a higher and thinner hollow sabre than the Centofante has..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Diference between VG10 and K390 is in edge retention. If geometry is the same they will cut both very good, but K390 much, much longer.
You probably never tried Centofante, but is 2mm stock and 0.3mm ( 0.11") behind the edge. One od the best slicers Spyderco makes. I just doubt, that 2.5mm Delica blade will be ground thinner than that.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

It's fun to see excitement about K390 to be perfectly OK now with VG10 :D I guess everybody in here will be overly excited with 8Cr13Mov as well :D

Are these still done in Japan, expensive and sometimes with some QC issues?

Or is there any chance that this "high performance" line of knives to be done in Golden for a better quality and maybe a cheaper price, if that's even possible to talk about cheaper Spydercos since they are going only up in price every year.

Since it's VG10 and loyalty I guess not for this model.
But are there any plans for a "high performance" line of knives to be done in Golden?

What will be roughly the percentage difference in price between a "normal" Delica and a "high performance" one.

Are these going to be exclusive as well with a dealer exclusive limited vomit-yellow handles and exclusive blade shapes or are they going to be generally available?

Is this a limited batch or regular production?
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 am
It's fun to see excitement about K390 to be perfectly OK now with VG10 :D I guess everybody in here will be overly excited with 8Cr13Mov as well :D

Are these still done in Japan, expensive and sometimes with some QC issues?

Or is there any chance that this "high performance" line of knives to be done in Golden for a better quality and maybe a cheaper price, if that's even possible to talk about cheaper Spydercos since they are going only up in price every year.

Since it's VG10 and loyalty I guess not for this model.
But are there any plans for a "high performance" line of knives to be done in Golden?

What will be roughly the percentage difference in price between a "normal" Delica and a "high performance" one.

Are these going to be exclusive as well with a dealer exclusive limited vomit-yellow handles and exclusive blade shapes or are they going to be generally available?

Is this a limited batch or regular production?
I’ve never had any fit or finish issues with any Spyderco Seki. In fact, the few fit and finish issues I’ve had were all Golden models.