High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by toocool006 »

Hey y'all,

I couldn't let the news of a hollow-ground maybe-K390 delica go by uncelebrated. This is now easily my most anticipated knife. Like many of you, over the course of my knife collecting journey, my tastes have evolved towards pure function. Because I am not a very hard-use individual (city dweller), and modern steels are so capable, many of my spydies have gotten the regrind treatment. The current ruler of my pocket is my reground k390 endela (~.010 bte), so you can imagine how giddy I am at the thought of a Sal-approved thin and hollow blade from the factory, especially starting out at the delica's stock thickness. I also really enjoy the advatanges of a high hollow grind for my uses.

Would this be in k390 blue if that's the steel? And regular production (please please not a sprint)?

Who else is as excited as I am?
Catamount123 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:01 am
Just found this from Apr 5, 2021, on BladeForums:

“Our hi-performance Delica is just beginning to go forward. High hollow grind, thin edge, I'd like K390. Should be fun and eye opening.”
Last edited by toocool006 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~andrew
captnvegtble

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by captnvegtble »

And please... keep the pointy tip of the older generation Delicas!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

If it is FRN, then I will give one a try to see what all the excitement is about.

I've used a Delica for years just fine and haven't felt a need for much else other than an edge angle around 17-18 degrees when re-sharpening...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:10 am
If it is FRN, then I will give one a try to see what all the excitement is about.

I've used a Delica for years just fine and haven't felt a need for much else other than an edge angle around 17-18 degrees when re-sharpening...

CG
That would be my choice to, FRN & k390 delica, we and only hope
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This is interesting.
Obviously it wasn’t in my plans, but my planned acquisitions for 2021 are pretty much vapor ware anyways, so this being in the same cutting performance oriented vein, could be worth a try if it’s a bit easier to acquire (regular production).
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

And ... hopefully it comes with a deep carry (wire) clip from the factory!!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in! Geometry for the win!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am
And ... hopefully it comes with a deep carry (wire) clip from the factory!!!!

CG

Wire: ok
But please not deep carry... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Probably be the first Delica I've bought in 10 years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Anyone want to speculate on price?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So many guesses, such a great teaser...

My hope is that it's either K390 or MagnaCut, with everything just the same as a regular FRN Delica, including the price for the chosen blade steel. If it was G10, I'd still buy one, though as soon as my Russian micarta scales arrive, I *will* have a spare set of Flytanium CF scales looking for a blade to house.

Theres nothing wrong with the performance of the current FFG Delica IMO, but I've always been a fan of the Centofante 3, so bring on the HHG Delica!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I never owned a Delica so it could be the first one for me as I would really like to try K390 with an hollow ground blade...if only they would grind it higher that they usually doing it. It would be nice if they could do it like the southard, past the bottom of the spyder hole.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought the Delica used to be in a hollow grind and then changed over to ffg? It's already out in K390 in ffg...wouldn't this be a "step back" in A LOT of peoples eyes? (since most people seem to favor ffg)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Hopefully that means we will also see the endela and endura in the same configuration.

While this would get me to consider another Delica, I tend to only carry them as a secondary (at least when I’m at work)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 pm
I thought the Delica used to be in a hollow grind and then changed over to ffg? It's already out in K390 in ffg...wouldn't this be a "step back" in A LOT of peoples eyes? (since most people seem to favor ffg)
I think the difference is this time it's going to be a high and deep hollow grind (akin to the classic CRK hollow grind. )
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 am
WORD!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I think the difference is this time it's going to be a high and deep hollow grind (akin to the classic CRK hollow grind. )
I'll just add that it should allow for it to be really thin behind the edge

I've decided to stop spending so much of my fun money on knives but this might be a tough one to pass on. We'll see how I feel about it when the time comes
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 am
WORD!

For me this depends on how much tapering on the spine is going on... If this model tapers exactly like the current Delica, but has a thin, high hollow grind, the tip would get very fine (fragile?!) anyway. Then the a bit reenforcing drop would be nice to have!

This knife will be about slicing, not about an extremely pointy tip for me...

Just my 2c of course. I don´t like when I have to worry about the tip when having to work fast and can´t take real care.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

It will be for me unless the grind is HIGH and THIN. The original hollow grinds (pretty much all of them) were low and thick, so they might out slice FFG on something like a rope but once the whole blade wedges into something it's down to stock thickness.

I've also had similar "steering issues" with low hollow grinds as people have with serrations. My old hollow grinds Manix 2 practically refused to make a straight cut through cardboard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We always get excited about the new steel even when it’s difference in performance is marginal. We are now being offered geometry that will actually show a significant increase in performance. I hope there is similar excitement about this. A $12 Opinel will out cut every Spydie that I own but the edge retention is lacking. I hope to see knife afis get as excited about superior geometry as they do about steel selection.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?