Ladybug Recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JakeXman

Ladybug Recommendation

Post by JakeXman »

I’m currently borrowing/sharpening my grandfather’s Ladybug 1 he’s had since 1997. After using it for a few days I’m really seeing the utility such a small knife presents (especially as a complimentary blade) and I’m now looking for something similar. Here’s his, because pictures spice up a thread:

I really like the thin tip, and that it resembles a mini Endura. The handle fits my hand very well too. I’m aware that the modern ladybugs have a somewhat different form factor; I’m interested in what those of you who have been around longer than I have to say about the changes.

Right now I’m eyeing the K390 Ladybug, but I’m curious to hear your recommendations. Steel, FFG vs saber, manbug? I don’t think I would go for the hawkbill salt as I already have that blade shape and steel. Heck, I’m not even set on the ladybug as a model; if you have a recommendation that’s similar in price and size shout it out—I’m all ears!
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
SG89

Re: Ladybug Recommendation

Post by SG89 »

The k390 Ladybug is the peak Ladybug... Get you one! Ffg, tool steel, bidirectional texture frn, torx screw construction. If frn isnt your thing get the hap40 Pakkawood exclusive from knifecenter.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:32 pm
The k390 Ladybug is the peak Ladybug... Get you one! Ffg, tool steel, bidirectional texture frn, torx screw construction. If frn isnt your thing get the hap40 Pakkawood exclusive from knifecenter.
I agree ffg k390 is a great choice in the ladybug. The bugs are great knives. For the size, they sure cut a lot. Very handy and no one thinks twice when used in public.
Nate

Post by Nate »

The Byrd Starling 2 is discontinued but still available. Nice little blade, my daughter nabbed mine. :)
:spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for K390 Ladybug! If the LB fits your hand well, the Manbug is not an upgrade for you IMO. The Dragonfly2 is worth checking out if you have not... It adds a lot of capability at about double the size, while remaining very small.

That's a great looking classic LB in red, BTW! Here is some more LB "spice" for the thread:

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I also like the idea of the K390, however, the Salt version in H1 will never rust, ever. You can get it in fully serrated and the edge on the serrated will last a long time.

I forgot about this fun little knife. This Ladybug glows in the dark: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPLPGI ... rn-handles
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

In a knife as small as the ladybug, how is k390 going to perform with appreciable results better than zdp189?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FFG is going to slice way better than the saber grind versions, but the SE Salt or standard SE VG10 are closest to what your grandfather has.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my first knife was an early '90s ladybug. the ergos are even better on the newer models, so if you like the older model, you'll like the new model even more.

as far as which model to choose, everyone is making good suggestions. personally, i went with the hawkbill salt because i wanted something different from my main edc knife. if you don't like the hawkbill design, i'd still recommend the serrated salt. clearly everyone doesn't feel this way, but a small backup knife is not something i want to have to worry about maintaining. i just want it to always be there and ready to go without much thought. that's where the salt series excels.

another great option is the dragonfly salt. it's not much bigger than the ladybug, but adds a pocket clip and a full grip.

i'll add some pictures in a bit...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I couldn't choose between the Ladybug and the Jester, so I chose a Micro Dyad...

Best of both worlds!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd say get an SE Ladybug if you carry PE primarily.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 pm
+1 for K390 Ladybug! ...Here is some more LB "spice" for the thread:

I stand by my mention of the Starling 2 as an underrated Ladybug alternative, but now also have the K390 LB inbound. :o
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 am
my first knife was an early '90s ladybug. the ergos are even better on the newer models, so if you like the older model, you'll like the new model even more.

as far as which model to choose, everyone is making good suggestions. personally, i went with the hawkbill salt because i wanted something different from my main edc knife. if you don't like the hawkbill design, i'd still recommend the serrated salt. clearly everyone doesn't feel this way, but a small backup knife is not something i want to have to worry about maintaining. i just want it to always be there and ready to go without much thought. that's where the salt series excels.

another great option is the dragonfly salt. it's not much bigger than the ladybug, but adds a pocket clip and a full grip.

I absolutely agree, as I said above. The serrated edge Ladybug Salt is the one to have as it cuts and doesn't rust.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Thanks for the replies so far! I’m still considering K390, but in terms of utility/performance would it be worth holding out for a Lc200n ffg serrated ladybug?
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JakeXman wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 am
Thanks for the replies so far! I’m still considering K390, but in terms of utility/performance would it be worth holding out for a Lc200n ffg serrated ladybug?
Could be. There is a new reveal coming up in May... Might wait until then to decide. Who knows what will be announced
Spydergirl88
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 am

Could be. There is a new reveal coming up in May... Might wait until then to decide. Who knows what will be announced
So - being new to all of this - if there's an announcement in May, how long before those announcements are actually available (on average)? Is there a general sense of that?

It seems I remember reading that Spyderco generally doesn't like to announce something until they can actually release it within three months or something like that.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I will also parrot the recommendation of SE on the little guys. It makes them WAY more useful, in most situations.

The aggression that SE provides to these tiny blades, is a huge boost to their cutting ability/utility.

I'm not trying to dissuade from K390, I just think that SE will FAR outweigh any benefits that K390 would bring to such a small blade. Especially, if the SE is rust proof.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 am

pictures as promised. sorry they aren't very good, but it's a busy day.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]

as you can see, the ladybug has a very similar cutting edge to the df2, but the df2 offers a lot more handle. you have to decide which you prefer. also, not the difference in grip between the old and new ladybugs. the new offers more defined grip and stronger texturing.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 am

So - being new to all of this - if there's an announcement in May, how long before those announcements are actually available (on average)? Is there a general sense of that?

It seems I remember reading that Spyderco generally doesn't like to announce something until they can actually release it within three months or something like that.

Thanks,
Jason
Supposed to be 90 days but not always especially with how covid has been impacting things
Spydergirl88
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:25 am
I will also parrot the recommendation of SE on the little guys. It makes them WAY more useful, in most situations.

The aggression that SE provides to these tiny blades, is a huge boost to their cutting ability/utility.

I'm not trying to dissuade from K390, I just think that SE will FAR outweigh any benefits that K390 would bring to such a small blade. Especially, if the SE is rust proof.

Yeah, despite just ordering the k390 I can see the SE argument. I’ve had the Manbug Salt on my keys since they dropped and also have the hawkbill. These tiny knives have really grown on me though and I enjoy having a variety around.