Non LW Seki City - where's the love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Non LW Seki City - where's the love?

Post by GarageBoy »

I personally love the full liners on the non frn seki models. I know they're a bit on the pricey side, but you'd the delica/endura/endela would be popular enough to at least garner some enthusiasts.

(Really regret not grabbing a st nicks delica in hap40/g10 as pakkawood and the cf they used on the fradon lock model didn't do much for me)

What's your ideal heavyweight model?

Also, who actually buys the stainless handle models?

Edit: my phone thinks deli city is a place
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evil D

Re: Non LW Deli City - where's the love?

Post by Evil D »

Every time something comes out in G10 from Seki it seems to live a short life and heads straight to being discontinued. They'd be more popular but it's the same complaint every time "VG10 and G10 for that price is too much".

I got a stainless handle Police last year. I absolutely love it. I wouldn't want my work knives in stainless because they just don't have enough grip but I carry it a lot outside of work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Non LW Deli City - where's the love?

Post by Doc Dan »

I was dumb enough not to buy a foliage green G10 Delica when they were out because I thought they'd be around a while and I was saving for something else. That is one good looking knife. Oh well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Re: Non LW Seki City - where's the love?

Post by GarageBoy »

Yeah the cruwear cf dragonfly was $$$ and the g10/vg10 is double the price of the frn model. Definitely greater than the differential between the frn and g10 native/manix
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I want to go to deli city, and eat many sandwiches.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I really like my G10 Dragonfly, but it doesn't get much pocket time compared to the FRN version, mostly due to the extra weight.

As mentioned before, the price bump is also something I thought long and hard about before buying... that said, I'd jump on a G10 Delica if it was reissued.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

My hap40 pakkawood endura gets a ton of pocket time. Frn is great but the upgrade is worth a try.

Like D mentioned, they would probably sell better paired with a upgraded steel.

G10 Endura in Cruwear would be awesome to see and an instant buy. 4 Enduras isn’t crazy right?
Danke

Post by Danke »

I was all in for this but it never happened.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Oh, do I wish I had the G10 UKPK, especially the drop-point version.

But as it stands, I do have lined Seki G10 in the Dragonfly, Police, and Stretch series, as well as a number of one-offs.

While I have and respect FRN (especially its ductility and Spyderco’s patterns), I prefer G10 (just as I do PE to SE) and care little that lighter versions are available, though I do have FRN (and SE) in the usual suspects.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I went the other way.

I have sold off all my Seki stainless, titanium, carbon fiber, and G10.

With the exception of a single Caly 3, all my Seki (40+ of them) is FRN. I lusted for the G10 Delica for a long long time but never did buy one. After recently letting go of my Stretch G10, I foresee the end of Seki G10 for me ... including the Delica I longed after for so many years. Stretch G10 was a slow mover at discontinued pricing and St Nick's G10 Delica was discounted twice to reach a timely sellout.

The Chaparral G10 Sun/Moon is a favorite and I enjoy the UKPK in G10 as well ... go figure!???! Some things I can't explain.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Well, you'll be glad to learn the caly 3 is a moki made knife, not a seki city (g.sakai) knife!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The Knife Center exclusives look really nice as well.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The FRN is so good on the Seki models that I don't really have a desire for G10. And I don't like Ti or CF or Pakkawood. BUT, if Seki is able to do a well-executed OD Green Micarta then I would be all for Cru-carta in all of the popular Seki models. I'd still likely carry my FRN versions 99% of the time though because I like the lightweight aspect.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:45 am
Well, you'll be glad to learn the caly 3 is a moki made knife, not a seki city (g.sakai) knife!
Great stuff!!! This makes me a 100% Seki FRN purist! :cool:

CG

P.S. The pakkawood Seki never appealed to me either.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think it is a monumental tragedy that the G-10 Police4 in K390 was discontinued. I suppose if mine wears out I can swap in lockbar and blade from the lightweight.

You should check out aftermarket scales for the Delica and Endura. A few places/people make them. Turn your lightweight into a heavyweight. G-10, Carbon Fiber, Titanium, Brass, Copper. All available.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I love my G-10 Seki City models. Not because they're G-10 though. It's just that some of Spyderco's best models, imho anyway, only came with G-10. They weren't cheap though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Custom scales?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:45 am

Both Sakai and Moki are based in Seki Japan, the "Seki City" imprint is just a statement of origin, like those seen on blades made in Sheffield England or Solingen Germany.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:15 pm
Custom scales?!

This is basically the answer. You'll end up paying about the same as factory made and you can choose whatever color and style you want. Maybe some people just want a real factory made knife and don't want to mod theirs, but unless they make more factory Seki G10 this is the answer.

To be honest some of Boomer's reshaped G10 Delica handles have really made me consider buying a Delica, when I otherwise really don't have any interest in them. It's kind of like the deep carry pocket clip thing, everyone wants Spyderco to do them and yeah it might be great if they did, but truthfully the aftermarket has got it covered really well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:15 pm
Custom scales?!

This is basically the answer. You'll end up paying about the same as factory made and you can choose whatever color and style you want. Maybe some people just want a real factory made knife and don't want to mod theirs, but unless they make more factory Seki G10 this is the answer.

To be honest some of Boomer's reshaped G10 Delica handles have really made me consider buying a Delica, when I otherwise really don't have any interest in them. It's kind of like the deep carry pocket clip thing, everyone wants Spyderco to do them and yeah it might be great if they did, but truthfully the aftermarket has got it covered really well.

First and foremost: For me it would be horror if Spyderco made deep carry pocket clips, at least if they actually switched to those as default clip... :mad: :mad: ;)

/ As for custom scales: Problem could be, that some / many (?) people are not comfortable with disassembling their knives, let alone applying new scales. Don´t know how many custom scale makers do this for their customers - in Europe Cuscadi does, Suingab does not as far as I know.
And probably in many cases the knife actually will not have the same level of fit it had before with the factory scales?! (I don´t know, have very little experience with custom scales, in fact only own(ed) two Spydies with such...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)