Chaparral Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Chaparral Salt

Post by cabfrank »

Is this even being considered? I want a Chap, and am really close to getting one, but I know I would prefer linerless, and likely no metal backspacer. Either H1 or LC would be fine with me, although I know most would prefer FFG. Has there been any news on this, and what do the rest of you think of such a knife?
tonijedi

Re: Chaparral Salt

Post by tonijedi »

Yes!
LC is the option, as it is made in Taichung.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think at least with the FRN Chap linerless can't be done (if the handle remains as thin as it is).

Generally: The more Chap variants, the better.
This blade (stock) should become the role model for regular small to medium EDC folders imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I suppose it could still use skeletonized liners, although I would prefer less weight. I'm sure the price could easily get too high also. These things are usually easier said than done.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:59 pm
I suppose it could still use skeletonized liners, although I would prefer less weight. I'm sure the price could easily get too high also. These things are usually easier said than done.
I really like the extremely thin, but sturdy handle of the Chap - I think i that combination (that thin AND sturdy) is only possible with steel liners (FRN alone and that thin would probably to flimsy)
But in a Salt Chap a thicker, but linerless handle would not hurt - as long as the blade would remain the same thinness...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)