Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Re: Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Post by standy99 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 am
Missed this thread for the last few days as been busy with work.

Please No. I carry a knife so I don’t have to use a Stanley knife type.
(And it goes against my creating waste and trying to stop consumables ethos)

I actually have disbelief and annoyance every time I find one of these blades on the street or like the last one I noticed on the floor in a supermarket where a kid could have picked it up.

Maybe not everyone has had the need for this type of knife and they just don't understand. There are certain situations and jobs that require certain material to be cut against hard surfaces like concrete. Have you ever installed carpet? This absolutely destroys knife edges and is one reason why replaceable blade utility knives exist. While on the job, you don't have time to sharpen/reprofile your PM2 every five minutes.

I used to install seamless aluminum rain gutters and used a utility knife many times a day cutting aluminum and roof shingles. I also used to repair concrete and asphalt roads and would use a utility knife to cut the expansion joint, most of the time against concrete. These are just a couple examples.

There are people who use/need these knives all day, not because they're lazy and don't know how to sharpen a knife, but because it is the best tool for the job.
Yeah I do see the need for these and OK if you want a $100 holder for a razor I can see the merit in you being able to buy one. ;)
Probably should have said yes but not for me... :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Oh no! Utes are immoral? How long before someone calls me "Hitler" for posting about Ute knives?

It's easy to argue that a ute knife is more moral than other knives, being far less deadly. It's also easy to argue a ute knife is more moral because it saves another precious and limited resource: human time (not to mention sharpening stones, sanding belts, cleaning chemicals, etc.) But I don't want to go down that road because I think arguing morality is...misplaced. I have no problem with deadly knives, but that's not a ute's purpose. I have no problem with folks who own 10 or 50 or 100 Spyderco knives, even though that "wastes resources and isn't needed." (Anyone who is experiencing guilt for owning a wasteful amount of Spyderco knives is welcome to contact me; I will exchange carbon credits for your knives.)

Anyway. This is just my polite request that we not turn this into a moralism thread, since morality is infinitely flexible and can be used to argue for or against anything. I think market considerations are more pertinent...and it may be that a ute would be a good or a bad or a neutral marketing move for Spyderco. It's a worthwhile discussion.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Question. In California, a switchblade is legal if the blade is under 2". The exposed blade on my utes is around 1.5". Does that mean a ute SWITCHBLADE would be legal in Calif?

Man, the contractors would go crazy to get a ute switch. I'd happily shell out $200 for this...

EDIT: But that blade would need to be secure! If not, a SwitchUte could be throwing blades across the room, LOL. "It's a utility knife, not a nail gun!"
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 am
Yeah I do see the need for these and OK if you want a $100 holder for a razor I can see the merit in you being able to buy one. ;)
... A ~$100 holder with Spyderco's design, ergos, and materials... Something that many people will buy, enjoy, and use daily, not having to think twice about making a necessary cut that will likely cause damage to the blade.

I'm just sensing alot of negativity to this idea that would benefit alot of people.

"Probably should have said yes but not for me... :D" , I hear you, but there are alot of people who would love to be able to use a high quality utility knife throughout the day without destroying their expensive CruCarta Shamans, etc. Every negative voiced opinion of this proposed knife is likely heard by Spyderco and we know they at least somewhat gauge interest from the forum of these new ideas.

Just because I don't have a use for Maxamet and will likely never own it, should I start making such comments on threads of people asking for it? "I don't have a dog in the fight" so I refrain from voicing such negative opinions and hope people get what they want.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:15 am
... A ~$100 holder with Spyderco's design, ergos, and materials... Something that many people will buy, enjoy, and use daily, not having to think twice about making a necessary cut that will likely cause damage to the blade.

I'm just sensing alot of negativity to this idea that would benefit alot of people.

"Probably should have said yes but not for me... :D" , I hear you, but there are alot of people who would love to be able to use a high quality utility knife throughout the day without destroying their expensive CruCarta Shamans, etc. Every negative voiced opinion of this proposed knife is likely heard by Spyderco and we know they at least somewhat gauge interest from the forum of these new ideas.

Just because I don't have a use for Maxamet and will likely never own it, should I start making such comments on threads of people asking for it? "I don't have a dog in the fight" so I refrain from voicing such negative opinions and hope people get what they want.
I did take back my negativity in my 2nd post (and apologise) and do see the merit for people that want one, but stand by the not for me as I would not buy one and it is sort of like a question thread.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:35 pm
...The Spectrum Energetics Utilizer would have been a huge upgrade, but it did not exist when I worked those jobs. It's on my radar now, but I'd be more interested in a Spyderco design.
And they are so wildley unpopular (lol) that they are sold out and have a "notify me" request widget.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:53 am
I did take back my negativity in my 2nd post (and apologise) and do see the merit for people that want one, but stand by the not for me as I would not buy one and it is sort of like a question thread.

Gotcha. I'm picking up what you're putting down ;) :)
I apologize if I came across too strongly. This is just a knife I've been wanting for many years, though I have doubts any premium knife company will actually give it a chance.

bobnikon wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
...The Spectrum Energetics Utilizer would have been a huge upgrade, but it did not exist when I worked those jobs. It's on my radar now, but I'd be more interested in a Spyderco design.
And they are so wildley unpopular (lol) that they are sold out and have a "notify me" request widget.

Lol really? I haven't looked at their site in a while, just seen them often posted on the various forums. My luck, if I do wind up buying one, Spyderco will announce theirs right after I receive it.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

An auto utility would be fun. Here in Wackifornia you can have a 2” auto and be legal for the unwashed masses of quasi citizens.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:30 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Does this mean Spyderco would become a "me too" brand? Just following the market instead of making the market? I can't see Sal being happy with that, if that's the case.
I'm not opposed to this happening, if Spyderco can improve on what's already out there, and can make a decent profit doing it, I say go for it. It's very unlikely I would join along, but ya never know.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:37 pm
Does this mean Spyderco would become a "me too" brand? Just following the market instead of making the market? I can't see Sal being happy with that, if that's the case.
I'm not opposed to this happening, if Spyderco can improve on what's already out there, and can make a decent profit doing it, I say go for it. It's very unlikely I would join along, but ya never know.
Is Spyderco a "me too" brand for making kitchen knives? Kitchen cutlery existed long before Spyderco. Pocket knives also existed before Spyderco... I like Spyderco's designs and the way they do things and would love to see their take on a utility knife.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:29 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Is Spyderco a "me too" brand for making kitchen knives? Kitchen cutlery existed long before Spyderco. Pocket knives also existed before Spyderco... I like Spyderco's designs and the way they do things and would love to see their take on a utility knife.
Good point on the kitchen knives. However, Sal greatly changed the pocket knife industry with clips and opening holes. If they decide to make a utility knife, I hope it’s more the later than the former.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:42 pm
Good point on the kitchen knives. However, Sal greatly changed the pocket knife industry with clips and opening holes. If they decide to make a utility knife, I hope it’s more the later than the former.

True. I hope so too :)
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

JRinFL wrote:
bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:30 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
I don't know why you would think my comment would mean that Spyderco should become a "me too" brand other than trying to be confrontational and provocative... You be you.

I think there is space available in the niche and that Spyderco could do something special there. You would see that if you read any of my other posts.

Cheers
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Peace, it was never meant to be an attack.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 am

Was this meant to be directed towards me? I didn't take offense to anything directed to me.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:56 am
Question. In California, a switchblade is legal if the blade is under 2". The exposed blade on my utes is around 1.5". Does that mean a ute SWITCHBLADE would be legal in Calif?

Man, the contractors would go crazy to get a ute switch. I'd happily shell out $200 for this...

EDIT: But that blade would need to be secure! If not, a SwitchUte could be throwing blades across the room, LOL. "It's a utility knife, not a nail gun!"

Ha! An auto wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take whatever is offered. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think there is definitely room for innovation here without being a follower.

They can do something that isn't really being done like an XL version with XL blades or a keychain version with tiny blades

They can innovate with popular materials like Micarta and FRN

They can improve upon quality with much higher tolerances and new and improved locking systems that hopefully eliminate the blade play that plagues most retractable or folding utility knives

They could maybe even do blades in different steels. Think about how popular an high quality Micarta scales utility knife would be with AEB-L blades.

I wouldn't even really care about Spyderco blades at first. I would just want a quality retractable knife in FRN or Micarta that is free of blade play. And I wouldn't blink at paying $100 or more for one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:09 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 am

Was this meant to be directed towards me? I didn't take offense to anything directed to me.
No, sorry for the confusion. I meant peace to Bob as it was not an attack on him, or you for that matter. I only quoted you both because you were discussing another brand that was already in the market.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:40 am
No, sorry for the confusion...

Gotcha. Lol, many just call me "Peace" on the forums, so wanted to make sure :). I should've picked a different username...

steelcity16 wrote: I think there is definitely room for innovation here without being a follower.

They can do something that isn't really being done like an XL version with XL blades or a keychain version with tiny blades

They can innovate with popular materials like Micarta and FRN

They can improve upon quality with much higher tolerances and new and improved locking systems that hopefully eliminate the blade play that plagues most retractable or folding utility knives

They could maybe even do blades in different steels. Think about how popular an high quality Micarta scales utility knife would be with AEB-L blades.

I wouldn't even really care about Spyderco blades at first. I would just want a quality retractable knife in FRN or Micarta that is free of blade play. And I wouldn't blink at paying $100 or more for one.

+1
This idea could go so many different ways, I just hope it happens someday.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 am
This idea could go so many different ways, I just hope it happens someday.

An upscale Ute is inevitable, but it's up to Spyderco as to whether this is their wheelhouse or not. I'd rather spend with Spyderco than the next company who implements the upscale ute idea, but... I can't see all the angles from where I sit.

The reason I think the upscale Ute is inevitable, is the broad increase in interest in upscale cutlery across the board, and the increase in income for tradespeople in a good economy. My contractors are spending again on expensive, top-shelf tooling. I think the upscale cutlery tide has not reached the Ute market yet, although there's evidence it may be starting. Witness the increasingly good products from Milwaukee on that front...they do CQI too, and their products, while far behind Spyderco quality and design, are improving. (But so much more improvement possible...!)