Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Post by Bolster »

Just thinking out loud...

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Perhaps a new blade shape that is proprietary to Spyderco or a universal one that can be interchangeable? Spyderco serrated edge? a hole or holes added to extend reach or make more secure. A hawkbill/straight edge combo would be desired as well.
Last edited by Fireman on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 am
Perhaps a new blade shape that is proprietary to Spyderco or a universal one that can be interchangeable? Spyderco serrated edge? a hole or holes added to extend reach or make more secure. A hawkbill/straight edge combo would be desired as well.
A blade straight on one end and hooked on the other would be handy at times, like a double+ended driver bit that can be easily flipped end for end to fit two types of fastener recess. I’d buy a Spyderco utility knife if it was OTF with onboard blade storage. Spyderedge would also be intriguing.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Or, kiss (keep it simple):

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I still think asking Spyderco for a utility knife is like asking Ferrari for a go-cart. We now return you to the fantasy in progress.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Personally I find the arguments against the Spydie Ute very humorous. I see no reason Spyderco couldn't do an excellent quality and reasonably priced utility knife. We all sit here and sing the praises of 200-600 dollar knives and almost none of us "need" them. But that isn't the point. Take a look at the Chavez Chubb and tell me that it isn't a great piece that some people are obviously interested in. Well, the Spydie Ute doesn't need to sell to every knife owner and tradesperson. It only has to sell to those that want one. Sure it isn't a necessity, but neither is most of Spyderco's line. And yet I own way more of them then I probably should.

For my purposes, make it a dual blade. A K390 folding blade and a clever utility blade holder. I am in. Use the K390 for almost everything, but use the utility blade for the dirty crappy stuff you don't want to cut your sandwich or apple with the same blade 10 minutes later.

Just my opinion, but why judge what people want. A gas station knife will open your mail and cut your sandwich and do a **** of a lot of other things and a dollar store ute will open a box, but we aren't in this hobby for necessity.
Last edited by bobnikon on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I say have two options--one that's just a utility knife, the other blade/utility knife and perhaps some kind of pry tool. I'm looking at a Stanley model at the moment which has a bit driver and saw.

I have several models--two Gerber (EAB and Transit), a Lenox (with a small screwdriver/bottle opener tool that folds out the butt end), and a few different Kobalt (FRN with a button lock, and two aluminum handle lockbacks); as well as a snap-off Olfa (soon to have a straight blade put in). The Olfa is king for utility knife use. The problem is that most people who buy utility knives just want a cheap one , because they'll break or lose it. Utility knives are all cheap or nothing, and honestly, they mostly suck. I like the feel of the FRN Kobalt, and it's my favorite when we're talking utility knives that fit a standard blade (my choice being Lenox Gold or Carbide). But, the Lenox is fiddly, the Lenox is stiff, the EAB will not fit the Lenox Gold blades that well (hair's thickness too long), the Gerber Transit loosely fits blades (Granddad had actually bought it, and gave it to me when the lock got stuck). Oh, and did I mention the lock on the Transit jams constantly?

Compare the fact that there's almost ZERO utility knives over $20; to the knife market where there's lots of options at different price points--from the $5 Frost POS you'll find at a convenience store/junk shop; to $20-50 knives seen at most department stores, to what Spyderco and Benchmade make in the $100-200 range, to $400-450 Medfords & Randalls, through $1000 customs.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This is a topic I think about quite a bit as I still use utility knives to break down cardboard despite always having a Spyderco in my pocket. A good blade will just sail through cardboard. I use the Stanley Carbide blades and they feel like I am slicing carboard with a laser and they stay sharp for an insane amount of time compared to any other blade I have used.

Three thoughts.

I'd love a Fixed blade bidirectional FRN knife utility. I haven't found a retractable knife where I love the ergonomics and the blade doesn't have any play. The fixed ones are good for someone like me who just wants to grab it from a toolbox drawer, use it for a bit, and then put it back.

Spyderedged Cricket and Dodo style blades would be sweet!!!

The other thing I think would be cool is if Spyderco did an XL version of the Utility knife and blade! There are really no XL versions that I can find aside from ones that are a little longer, but to me the main draw of these knives is being able to grip it very close to the blade tip and get a good angle on it when cutting. So the long blades defeat that purpose for me. I'd like to see it XL as in longer AND taller so it still retains the same properties, but gives you some extra blade and leverage for cutting extra thick cardboard or something tough and thick like horse stall mats. If Spyderco could execute on XL blades (same thickness as standard blades) and one good XL fixed knife and one great XL retractable knife, they could corner this market.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 am
I do have a serious question here. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a well-designed knife with great ergonomics, made from premium materials with a blade of carefully selected high-performance steel honed to a razor edge when you do all the real work with a 5 cent utility knife blade?
I wanted to respond to this, as it's often a criticism leveled against enthusiasts.

The cutting job determines the blade. Utility knives have a dedicated niche - cutting tasks that for various reasons would result in the swift destruction of the edge. This could be cutting against concrete, slicing into a bag of gravel/sand/garnet abrasive, fiberglass strapping, etc.

A utility blade is the wrong tool for many, many other cutting jobs. Slice an apple for lunch? Not going to cut it (literally). Baton some wood? Heck no.

For cardboard destruction? Honestly, an Opinel works way better than a utility blade despite having the same stock thickness.

Whether you're cutting sushi, cardboard, apples, or steel straps, there's no cutting job that's more "real work" than another. If your day is dominated by a single cutting task, specialization makes a lot of sense. If you've got a variety of cutting tasks, an EDC blade is easier to carry around than a knife roll of single-purpose tools.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’d be for it if spyderco made the blades that went in it as well, even if they’re in just a basic carbon steel. I’ve used some reeeeallly shoddy utility blades.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am
I still think asking Spyderco for a utility knife is like asking Ferrari for a go-cart. We now return you to the fantasy in progress.
Making fancy go-carts happens to be the reason Ferrari exists:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 pm
Interesting you would put that knife up with that Dodo handle on it. Because this lends well to the thread I'm currently trying to see how many of you all would like to have a larger scale "Dodo" model. I always thought that the original sized Dodo was a great utility knife but I do believe a larger sized Dodo would be awesome as a work/utility knife. Especially in full Spyderedge. That would be one EDC folder to help in no matter what type of work you do.

That Dodo handle alone would be great for even a standard designed utility knife. This thread is extremely timely and I do hope most of you will check out that thread I currently have wanting a larger Dodo model. That could indeed be the "Ultimate Utility Knife" IMO.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sorry, more rain clouds: More Home Depot customer lose more utility knives (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Stanley, Husky, etc.) every day than Spyderco would sell in a year. Or two. It has to be cheap enough to lose regularly for it to sell, and I cannot see Spyderco wasting resources to go up against the well established companies that currently own this market.

But, would it be cool? Yep.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am
-Turbo
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'd likely buy one. Sometimes you need a blade capable of cutting against concrete and other super abrasive media. Why not have a Spyderco chassis?

I don't think the design or quality/cost needs to be catered towards the previously mentioned general "Home Depot" crowd who treat knives as disposable. We (people on/browsing knife forums/social media) would be buying plenty of these. Don't expect it to cost $10 -- it's still going to be a high quality handle with a blade holding mechanism. Hopefully Spyderco has already been designing their take on a utility knife :). I imagine many of the people who are against this idea right now would wind up with one.

I'm surprised this idea had received so much negativity. If Spyderco can make a successful balisong pen, why not a utility knife?? :confused:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wonder what steel the Lenox bimetal and dewalt carbide blades are

I like using tajima blades - cheap and in sk120(aka sk2) - they touch up nicely too
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 pm
I wonder what steel the Lenox bimetal and dewalt carbide blades are

I like using tajima blades - cheap and in sk120(aka sk2) - they touch up nicely too
I believe the edge of the Lenox bimetal blades is high speed steel, probably M2. The back is low-carbon steel in a modestly soft state. I would imagine that carbide blades have a tungsten carbide edge, brazed to a plain steel back.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd prefer if the whole blade were replaceable and not rely on current utility blades. Then you could get full spyderco ergos and a full length edge. Some other companies currently offer similar designs and i think it's the best way to go. Spyderco could offer different blade shapes too.

All that said. My N5 SE lw is my utility knife. It's also the knife that I hand to people if they need to cut something. Serrations protect the edge from damage for the most part. S35VN seems tough enough for most task too. I don't cut on concrete or cement too often but again serrations would help save some of the edge and mitigate damage. When it gets dull I sharpen it. I bought that knife with the sole purpose of checking out S35VN in SE and I haven't been disappointed yet.

As far as available utility knives I like the Stanley 10-049. The blade is full length and replaceable. I've also sharpened it before.
https://www.stanleytools.com/products/h ... ife/10-049.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

One (elephant in the room?) part of the discussion that I think would be relevant to marketing is the acronym that a Spydero Utility Knife would have... I am familiar with the adage of "there's no such thing as bad press", but can't imagine that being necessarily helpful or good...

I also side with many in that, any such offering(s) would probably need to be competitive in regards to pricing, and there's already A LOT (shown & named in this thread already) of excellent options out there...
VashHash wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 am
As far as available utility knives I like the Stanley 10-049. The blade is full length and replaceable. I've also sharpened it before.
https://www.stanleytools.com/products/h ... ife/10-049.
Yes! The Stanley 10-049 is one of my favorites. Though it seems not many are familiar with it. Locking, full blade edge length, replaceable... I find myself using it for a myriad of things. I've sharpened, or re-sharpened, mine numerous times.

My few "utility knives", 10-049 among them

u.w.