New k390 endura is smooth

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

New k390 endura is smooth

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

So I just noticed on my new k390 endura, that all the edges of blade and thumbhole are smoothed over or polished. Even the plunge line behind the thumbhole is smooth. I compared this to my other seki models which have very noticeable sharp edges from the factory and this new endura seems to have a melt job from the factory. I'm digging this new feel. Thanx spyderco!
Pickmansmodel82

Re: New k390 endura is smooth

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Was on the fence about the new endura... this may put me in the buy category. Bought a salt 2 and spent a little bit rounding the hole and spine.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is good to know. Sometimes the knives have been sharp enough to cut in all the wrong places.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had to buy a second. It's a great all around knife with amazing performance and a real sleeper of a knife. It'll outperform most of the very high dollar factory or customs I've been around.
Worm

Post by Worm »

I am surprised this topic did not get more discussion here. Considering the popularity of K390.
I have two K390 models: Delica and Endela.

From all my Spyderco folders these two have extremely rounded edges on the Spydie hole.
They are so rounded that I often slip during flicking. And even sometimes during slow rolling.
So, in my case I definitely prefer the usual slightly deburred Spydie hole, which has more traction.
It is way easier to smooth out too sharp edges, than to use a dremel to enlarge the hole.
Will probably try to modify my Endela.

I am also very curios why Spyderco made this deliberate decision to smooth out the opening hole on the K390 models.
Bought a LC200N PacSalt2 at the same time. Had the usual sharp (but not too sharp) opening hole.

I know many complained about too sharp thumbholes in the past.
So maybe this was a test run to see customer feedback.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have had some opening holes that were so sharp they shaved skin off of my thumb and once the spine was so sharp it cut my finger. I have never had any issues with Japanese knives, though. I like it when they take time to smooth things out a bit. It shows someone cared enough to put some effort into the knife. I don't want the hole too smooth, though, but I want it to be comfortable to use over and over, again.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Worm wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:46 am

I am also very curios why Spyderco made this deliberate decision to smooth out the opening hole on the K390 models.

Probably had something to do with the overall blade finish. Seems like some knives require a bit more buffing to finish while some are almost "as ground".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FK

Post by FK »

I feel a very, very slight deburring on my new Endura K390 vs older VG-10 models.
My choice is sharp edges on the opening hole, then I can round off to my personal preference.
A small amount of diamond or CBN compound on a felt bob in the Dremel,,,, easy to perform.

Regards,
FK
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Worm wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:46 am
I am surprised this topic did not get more discussion here. Considering the popularity of K390.
I have two K390 models: Delica and Endela.

From all my Spyderco folders these two have extremely rounded edges on the Spydie hole.
They are so rounded that I often slip during flicking. And even sometimes during slow rolling.
So, in my case I definitely prefer the usual slightly deburred Spydie hole, which has more traction.
It is way easier to smooth out too sharp edges, than to use a dremel to enlarge the hole.
Will probably try to modify my Endela.

Bought a LC200N PacSalt2 at the same time. Had the usual sharp (but not too sharp) opening hole.

I know many complained about too sharp thumbholes in the past.
So maybe this was a test run to see customer feedback.
I have my K390 Endela on me today. I hadn't really noticed the issue until I saw mention of it here. It's not quite as sharp as all my Delicas yet it's not radiused enough to be a problem for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I was thrilled beyond belief with mine after a few sharpenings and some break-in…had to give it the ole k-carta treatment
6FCD6A5B-D231-4A5C-B82B-D4C5857F2DB4.jpeg
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
johnson

Post by johnson »

All the Seki knives I own came with rough finishing on the blades. Those include VG-10, V-Toku 2 and H1. I've had to do some work on all of them to take of some rough edges/burrs on some parts of the blades and also smooth out the opening holes quite a bit. I Purchased and received a Police 4 FRN K390 last week. The blade is perfectly smooth and finished straight out of the box. No need for any work and it went straight into my pocket. The blade finishing is very similar to my Para 3 Maxamet. The Maxamet blade also came finished a lot smoother and rounded compared to my other Golden knives. I Work in the automotive industry and I know that tool steels is alot harder to machine. I Assume the blades have a rougher finish after they have been machined and then requires more work to tidy them up before assembly. I Also assume that is part of why they are more expensive because they require a lot more work to manufacture.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think the blade steel can dictate some adjustments in the finishing process. I assume this is what happened with Maxamet as well.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I have a few Seki City K390 knives and all have better overall fit and finish than VG10 versions. Not sure what the reasoning for that is, but I like it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Worm

Post by Worm »

Here is a comparison to show the difference on my two Delica models: K390 and ZDP-189
Attachments
20210709_075607.jpg
20210709_075528.jpg
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

For one scary moment those last two pictures made me think Spyderco had reinvented the toilet seat. Happily, that's not the case.
But should they decide to innovate in that direction, let's hope they remember to bevel the edges.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

My Endura K390 is also very nice in F&F. What I like even more its sub 15 DPS from factory. One of the best slicers I had. Up there with Gayle Bradleys. GB1/GB2, Air. K390 keeps that edge long time and still easy to refresh. Trying medium rods lately, thanks to Vivi and like the agression of it. I can see why BBB like the steel so much. Thank You Sal for this line of knives. My only hope is there will be an Endura wharncliffe in K390 one day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thunderpants wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:12 am
For one scary moment those last two pictures made me think Spyderco had reinvented the toilet seat. Happily, that's not the case.
But should they decide to innovate in that direction, let's hope they remember to bevel the edges.

Introducing the Spyderco Non Slip Toilet Seat featuring jimping on the butt-ramp to hold you firmly in place during hard use

🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
juggler

Post by juggler »

Thunderpants wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:12 am
For one scary moment those last two pictures made me think Spyderco had reinvented the toilet seat.

They have, actually (SpyderSeat™, patent pending).

They haven't finalized it yet because they have a hard time finding testers (precisely because of that edge beveling problem you mentioned).
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.