Bought my fourth Shaman today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Bought my fourth Shaman today...

Post by kennethsime »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:51 pm
How do they cut? I love the design but it seems a bit chunky for me.
Thats why I haven't bought one. It's fat and seems like it would take up too much pocket.
FWIW, I find that my Shaman takes up less space in the pocket than my PM2 does. The handle is very slim for a knife of this size.

Even though it shares a 3.7mm blade stock with the PM2 (and the Military), I feel like the the blade of the Shaman is a bit chubbier - not my favorite cardboard slicer, although it does fine.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:38 am
Absolutely each to there own! I'm just showing what I did. And dig it. I tried to get used to it. I bought it in Golden last year and really tried. Mostly on closing the knife it bothered me the most. Sal your right once off you can't put it back and I'm sure it's a safety item. I do not regret taking it off and it's made my Shaman more usable for me. That's all.
And the last thing is I've not seen anyone shave it off and what it looks like or how it performed. I highly do not not recommend it unless your sure it benefits you.
No problem Marty_Bill. As long as you are pleased. I do understand....I don't like Okra.

sal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is noting wrong with me, i just don't remember tomorrow. ;)
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well I had to do it Sal. I liked the Shaman in so many ways but couldn't get over over the nub. Sal I love Spydercos in so many ways and really appreciate you and this community! It hurt my finger on closing. Thank you for all you do in the knife world! Your kindness and humbleness are an inspiration for me and i try to copy that in all i do. My only motive is to help people.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:31 pm
Well I had to do it Sal. I liked the Shaman in so many ways but couldn't get over over the nub. Sal I love Spydercos in so many ways and really appreciate you and this community! It hurt my finger on closing....

I really like when people don´t shy away from customizing and modding their knives, make them more "personal" after they tried the original design for a while - if then they find something to make even a tad better, or more likeable, or just better looking for them personally.
Sal is an ingenious designer (and I may say that, since I totally enjoyed his designs before I even knew who he is or actually anything about Spyderco), but no one on earth can design anything that is equally perfect for everybody. Just not possible, cause (luckily!) people are different.
So: As said, I did not mind the "nub" on the Shaman at all when I tried it, but there will certainly be other things I don´t like but other people do... (deep carry clips for example... NOT my thing at all ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's probably my favorite choiled design. I'm really interested in the choiless Shaman if/when it comes out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Well, the new Blackie Shaman has become the smoothest Shaman I have handled of my 4. I took it apart and cleaned/oiled it last night, it's just what I do. It had slight blade play when unlocked so I had to fix that. Hardly any loctite on the show side pivot screw. Cleaned up a little gunk (probably dlc that got worn off and ended up in the oil on the washers).

Put her back together, tightened pivot to my normal Shaman setting (not drop shut just need a little wrist flick) and let it sit until leaving for work today. Played with it a little and it drops shut and swings freely when unlocked, with zero play. It is perfect. My well used plain blade isn't this smooth... Lol my z wear is close though.

Got one of the guys at work wanting a Shaman now too. I'm a bad influence!

Now I need a bento box m390 dlc/blue G10 shaman. I can dream!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela