Salt Series without washers - Internal FRN wear?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Salt Series without washers - Internal FRN wear?

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

So thinking about the Salt Series knives without liners or washers; is there no concern about wear on the inside of the FRN, where the washers would be? It just seems opening & closing the blade repeatedly would wear the inside of FRN.

I'm certainly not the first person to think this, but I'm not having much luck searching here.

With an Endura on my short-ish list, I've also included the possibility of a Pacific Salt 2, but keep wondering about the wear issue.

Thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
pantagana23

Re: Salt Series without washers - Internal FRN wear?

Post by pantagana23 »

My experience with Native 5 LC200N is that I saw more wear on the blade than on FRN (FRCP).
Very gritty action on Golden FRN (at least my model).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Used,opened, closed my Pac Salt 1 a lot - no wear at all as far as I can tell... FRN is good stuff!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure they wear over time and eventually waaaay down the road you might see some blade play but there are probably guys still using the original FRN Clip-its and I'm pretty sure those didn't have washers either. At least with the new models the pivots can be adjusted over time to compensate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 am
I'm sure they wear over time and eventually waaaay down the road you might see some blade play but there are probably guys still using the original FRN Clip-its and I'm pretty sure those didn't have washers either. At least with the new models the pivots can be adjusted over time to compensate.

Everything wears with use over time.

The early FRN clip-its did not have washers. They were constructed the same as the early, pinned FRN Salt models. I still have several of those older clip-it versions, and have never had any noticeable FRN wear on the inside, around the pivot or other pinned areas.

With the current FRN Salts, I would imagine that over time, there would be more wear and tear on the blade, pivot pin/screw, and locking mechanism/locking surfaces than on the inside of the FRN itself.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have yet to see one that has been worn out. It is more likely to lose it before you ever were the scales out, just guessing.

If anyone has one they have worn out, please post pictures!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have salts in the 10-15 year old range that still work fine, and there are plenty of Endura 1-3's still in use out there. I wouldn't worry.
:unicorn
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the replies - seems it's nothing to worry about; except my bank account maybe.

Now I've got the whole Endura vs. Pacific Salt 2 thing in my head. And with that come a lot more variations than you'd think with the various combinations of standard shape vs. wharncliffe, plain edge vs. serrated, H1 vs. LC200N for the salts, etc. It's like exponential, man.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

My theory is that the fiberglass in the nylon inhibits wear to any appreciable amount.