My favorite handle design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

My favorite handle design

Post by Evil D »

Aka, official plea to make more 3D contoured/textured handles.

This is the most comfortable handle I have for a folder. It blurs the line between a folder and a fixed blade ergonomics. The 3D shape works really well with the FRN texturing.

It's also a great size, just barely big enough to fit my hand on which also means that (for me at least) it's as small as it can be so it's a good balance. I also love how the handle blends into the thumb ramp a little, it really makes thumb placement more comfortable.

The overall added thickness is negligible but the improvement in ergonomics is huge over a flat slab handle. I'd have all of my knives shaped this way if I could.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Re: My favorite handle design

Post by ladybug93 »

this model doesn't appeal to me personally, but that swell in the handle does. i was thinking about making a similar thread about the handle on the manix. i wonder how the manix would feel with a similar swell. i'm sure the caribbean would be great, since it's basically a larger salt version of this knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m going to have to agree with you on that one, the palm swell is so nice! I’ve actually been looking for that exact knife for quite some time. I wish they would do a sprint of the D’Allara in Cruwear/K390/Lc200n, or do an FRN Caribbean with that style.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah this thread is really more about the handle itself than the D'Allara itself. I just wish there were more handles contoured and shaped like this.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got to agree with moving forward with the 3D contoured scales. The Bradford Guardian 3 I have with the 3D contoured micarta handles is extremely comfortable, and very nice looking as well. Would love to see more Spyderco's have these options in the future!

Even contouring alone makes such a nice difference. It's like when I grab a PM2, I'm thinking..."ok, this is comfortable" But then grab a Shaman and I'm thinking "ok, there it is" and into the pocket it goes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Of the knives that I could think of that would benefit from this palm swell would be:

FRN Shaman
FRN Caribbean
“Cliff” Jumper
LW PM2
LW Native
LW Manix/XL

Basically all larger FRN knive!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 am
Of the knives that I could think of that would benefit from this palm swell would be:

FRN Shaman
FRN Caribbean
“Cliff” Jumper
LW PM2
LW Native
LW Manix/XL

Basically all larger FRN knive!
Now that I have it in hand and like it surprisingly much: I may add the Tenacious LW in S35VN to your list.
Perhaps 3D handles are not the first thing one might think of in the more "budget" Chines line, but then: As soon as the molds are made, 3D FRN should not be more expensive than "flat" FRN, right? (This is different to G10, where "3D - ing" probably takes more work)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

When I saw the thread title my first thought was ... throw the D’Allara into the ring so I’ll say +1 for the D’Allara.

I’ll also add the Native III (the Japanese model). Native 3 (top) vs Native 1

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That handle + a caged ball bearing lock, and it would be a best seller. Sal said before that buyers often avoid thicker knives choosing thinner models to carry. That would explain the preponderance of slab sided folders in the market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Aside from the lock, I feel the same.

I had the WTC(same knife) and it was an EXCELLENT handle.

I still hold out hope for a contoured, machined, Ti Integral Comp, Caribbean XL...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Couldn’t agree more, it’s one of the reasons I love my waterway so much, those light chamfers make it. Although I prefer mild contouring more, so you can hold the knife sideways comfortably.

Really hoping I’ll be able to get my hands on that kapara sprint, I haven’t had a folder with contoured scales in years.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 pm
That handle + a caged ball bearing lock, and it would be a best seller. Sal said before that buyers often avoid thicker knives choosing thinner models to carry. That would explain the preponderance of slab sided folders in the market.

I've made this plea before and I recommend him saying people favor thin handles. The Shaman seems to be doing well, maybe that's changing.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see them bring this back as a CBBL, and see if there's anything they could tweak to make it fold up a bit slimmer.

It has a very nice handle. I used to have one of these and I agree with everything you wrote. I ended up selling mine in favor of keeping my C95 Manix because I didn't like the bare ball lock.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 pm
I'd like to see them bring this back as a CBBL, and see if there's anything they could tweak to make it fold up a bit slimmer.

It has a very nice handle. I used to have one of these and I agree with everything you wrote. I ended up selling mine in favor of keeping my C95 Manix because I didn't like the bare ball lock.

Yeah unfortunately this knife is the very definition of "pocket hog" especially the rescue version. I'm not even pushing for a D'Allara revival, I just would love to see more handles with scales shaped like this. I would even be interested in sprints of knives that have 3D handles instead of different steels. I'm almost to the point of ordering some G10 and making them myself.
~David
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I would like to have such an handle on a stretch that lacks a bit of thickness and I would really like a d'Allara sprint run in K390.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ooooh, on a Stretch..... yummm
JMM

Post by JMM »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:48 pm

Yeah unfortunately this knife is the very definition of "pocket hog" especially the rescue version. I'm not even pushing for a D'Allara revival, I just would love to see more handles with scales shaped like this. I would even be interested in sprints of knives that have 3D handles instead of different steels. I'm almost to the point of ordering some G10 and making them myself.
I don't know if you've had to opportunity to handle/use a PPT, I have the S90V sprint with the contoured CF handle that is amazing.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the main reasons I've been so fanatical about the TEMPERANCE 1 model being my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade is because of the way that handle fits and feels. I had a D-Allara about the same time I got my first TEMP 1 model and those handles felt very similar. I really regret trading my D'Allara model but it ended up with a good home to Dr. Hannibal Lecter M.D. It sure did have a great grip and hopefully at some point there might be a Sprint Run.
kobold

Post by kobold »

A coke bottle shape feels great (best?) on a fixed blade, so something like that, just slightly more flat would be ideal for a folder.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 pm

... I'm not even pushing for a D'Allara revival, I just would love to see more handles with scales shaped like this. I would even be interested in sprints of knives that have 3D handles instead of different steels...

I support this.

As for Dallara handle, I would make forefinger guard smaller - lowest point should be in line with the edge.