Is Sal Glesser Irreplaceable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Is Sal Glesser Irreplaceable?

Post by RamZar »

Sal encompasses so much that is Spyderco which includes not just founding the company and so many patents and innovations but just as importantly his caring, sharing, nurturing and calm demeanor in public and these days meaning a constant and welcoming online presence even though Sal has been doing that seemingly for ages now.

I wonder how much longer he’ll be with us (nobody knows but once you start approaching 80 you ponder - if Biden can do it at 78 why not Sal) and how his unique and cherished online presence will be continued and/or missed?

PS - Don’t mean to be morbid or negative just honest in these trying times!
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ladybug93

Re: Is Sal Glesser Irreplaceable?

Post by ladybug93 »

i would say he's absolutely irreplaceable. however, that doesn't mean that eric won't be every bit as good at carrying the mantle.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
archangel

Post by archangel »

I had the feeling that lately Michael Janich took over Sal's mission to welcome each new forum member. Well not take it over, just support Sal. :) I don't know if I've ever seen a forum post by Eric. Eric's for sure super busy with the business side of Spyderco, so that's why, and it's totally ok! I just wonder if, when that sad sad day has come, Eric will finally start showing forum presence, just as his old man did, in the spirit of this rare but pretty awsome customer focus. Or if Michael will take over that task in full.

I hope / wish there are many many years to come till I find out.
Last edited by archangel on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'd say yes. I was pondering this not long ago, in fact. Eric is busy and has no interest in the forums. That is a matter of personality, not criticism. Sal has won the hearts of a lot of loyal followers. Also, he is a design genius. I think Eric is talented in this area, but Sal was so innovative from the start and still likes to poke at the edges of what is possible. I think Spyderco will continue on, and if he built well, then the best days are in front of us. Still, I will miss his interactions and responses.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal is all about character and I am sure he has instilled his values in Eric. We are currently in the middle of what I believe is a seamless transition to Eric fully running the show.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is no easy answer to that question. First off there is only one Sal Glesser and no one on the planet would be a perfect replacement for him if God forbid anything were to happen to him. But I do feel with great confidence that Eric Glesser would continue his dad's great mission in life if that were to happen.

Our tenure here on planet earth is only temporary for all of us. But that's true all across the board with everyone's life. We only had Nikola Tesla for a few decades but what an awesome change he made in our lives while he was here. In many respects you could say that Sal Glesser is the Nikola Tesla of the knife making industry.

But I do think it's more than fair to say that Sal Glesser has changed the knife industry completely during the time he's been here. No one can be perfectly replaced>> because all of us are completely unique in our own way.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

This is weird
araneae

Post by araneae »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:39 am
This is weird
Agreed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

One of a kind - kind of guy!!! Glad we got him and in such a visible role.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We'll all die someday, but not everyone will be remembered the way some people will and I think that's what matters most here.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
carrot

Post by carrot »

I know not everybody here is an Apple fan, but when Steve Jobs passed, people slowly came to realize that his ultimate accomplishment wasn't giving us the Mac, or the iPhone, or the iPad, or whatever, but to give us Apple, which was instilled with his values to the core.

I like to think that Sal has formed Spyderco in a way that will preserve his values forever, and a hundred years from now Spyderco will still operate with the same integrity, honesty, and respect that Sal has always shown.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not too many places can you actively reach out to the owner of a company and get a response from him in a matter of hours. The way he interacts with his customers, listens to our gripes, takes in all the positive and negative feedback and puts out new knives that cater to his customers desires...that's pretty rare. I value that over the products/business side of him. I'll take that personable approach of him every day, which then corresponds into the products/business.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Think even when Sal hangs up his :spyder: work boots we will see him on the Forum more than ever..... ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 am

I wonder how much longer he’ll be with us (nobody knows but once you start approaching 80 you ponder - if Biden can do it at 78 why not Sal) and how his unique and cherished online presence will be continued and/or missed?

PS - Don’t mean to be morbid or negative just honest in these trying times!
When you look at how Sal started out by peddling SharpMakers, then innovating "pocket" knife designs with a clip, Trademark Round Holes on blades, and the different steel used for blades, you have to wonder what knives would look like today without him.

I've had the opportunity to chat with Sal in the SFO a couple of times, but lately I've got to say I am a bit concerned-for America.
Last edited by Pokey on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The cemeteries are full of irreplaceable people.
And for example were is Chris Reeve and CRK works without him?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Since this awkward question has been asked, and answered—the question being rhetorical, of course Sal is irreplaceable!—I’ll bypass its unfortunate “But, what about us?” implication and just assert that most people don’t have kids to replace themselves.

Rather, most do it—especially once they’ve have actually done it—to be awestruck by the giving of life, then they set about nurturing it. And if they are truly awestruck, they do their damnedest not to waste a real-life opportunity to do good with their “blank slate”.

Because Sal and Gail have so obviously done good, the matter of replacement is just not an issue. Given apples and trees, and the particular species we’re talking about, Spyderco will continue to intrigue us. Of that, I’m confident.

When Sal’s time inevitably comes—and if I don’t beat him through the door—I will surely be grateful that my life included the example of his for a while.

In the meantime, I’m going to savor what else he does, and I imagine he will, too.

ETA: Fine-tuning, in light where this thread has gone.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Based on Sal's past comments, I'm pretty sure Eric is calling the day to day shots at Sypderco. Sal is still fully involved, but no longer has to be bogged down with the grind, he can focus on the cool stuff. The last I read, Sal is out in Hawaii.

Sal has built a lasting and positive legacy and taught positive values, what more need he do? Long live Sal in good health!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

No.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In past times it was Treason to discuss the demise of the King, and a capital offence. Now it’s just poor taste. Sorry, but honestly ....
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 pm
In past times it was Treason to discuss the demise of the King, and a capital offence. Now it’s just poor taste. Sorry, but honestly ....

I agree.

Jim