Serrated edge fans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsvirsky

Re: Serrated edge fans

Post by dsvirsky »

I've found that BD1N (Para 3 LW) also works quite well in SE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:08 am
I've found that BD1N (Para 3 LW) also works quite well in SE.

I believe you!! Really a mystery to me why the BD1N Manix 2 LW does not come in SE...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Looking forward to trying SE K390 in an Endura. Could it be an SE gamechanger???
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm so glad that this subject has come up. Because for years now I've discovered that many of the blade steels I've found that do extremely well in a serrated/Spyderedge don't always do so well with plain edged blades. Some of the steels I really like for Spyderedges are ATS-55, GIN-1, AUS-8, 440V and don't forget VG-10 are just a few that come to mind for SE >> actually VG-10 is one of the few blade steels that I like for plain edges as good as I do for Spyderedges. Because most steels I've found that excel with Spyderedges don't always do well in PE.

The properties that make for a good serrated edge are not always the same properties that you would desire for plain edged cutlery. I've been hoping that eventually our local metallurgy guru Larrin will some day explore the ideal blade steels for use in SE.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really like the hollow grind combined with serrations on the h1 salt models. i know there is a lot of love for a ffg with serrations, but the extra beef behind the serrations on h1 is a winning combo for a knife that begs to be used.

i will always recommend that people have a pacific salt in h1. if you can't legally have a pacific salt, then get a salt 2 or saver salt. there's a reason that these models are very popular around here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

We still don't know how invested the OP is regarding serrated edges. Perhaps for now he is just looking to test the waters for serrated edges and steels suitable for SE. I did so on the cheap with a couple of Byrd serrated models in 8Cr13MoV. Sure, there are better steels for serration, but 8Cr13MoV is actually not bad and good enough to pique my interest in well designed serrated blades.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Thanks for all the info everyone. It’s really nice to be able to have a place to interact with such a great community, from the spyderco staff to all of you. I like most don’t get to buy as many of these things we all spend so much time looking a as I’d like, so when I am able I like to get as much good information as I can about whatever I plan to buy. There a lot of knowledge on the forum. I also hadn’t considered a Byrd model to test the waters. I’ll have to look at them. I have gotten the list to one more or less suggested of the rock jumper, salt 2 in lc200n or h1 and a wharncliffe delica. Thanks again.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am
We still don't know how invested the OP is regarding serrated edges. Perhaps for now he is just looking to test the waters for serrated edges and steels suitable for SE. I did so on the cheap with a couple of Byrd serrated models in 8Cr13MoV. Sure, there are better steels for serration, but 8Cr13MoV is actually not bad and good enough to pique my interest in well designed serrated blades.
100%. I forgot about 8Cr13MoV. Humble as it is, it's a great performer in SE.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
benben

Post by benben »

Find yourself the knife model you like, the lock, the length, the color, and if it comes in serrated in either H1, LC200N, or
VG-10, just buy it, promise you'll be happy with it!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Stoney87 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 am
...I have gotten the list to one more or less suggested of the rock jumper, salt 2 in lc200n or h1 and a wharncliffe delica. Thanks again.

Of those choices, I think you might really enjoy the Wharncliffe Delica, or the Salt 2 Wharncliffe LC200N. My Wharncliffe Delica has shallower serrations than other SE :spyder: s. That, in combination with the FFG, and thinner (2.5 mm) blade, make it feel more like a PE when cutting, while still having the advantages of SE.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Stoney87 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 pm
Glad to see that there isn’t a huge list of premium steels, like k390 or the like. Those take a chunk from the wallet. Maybe this will be my first delica type knife. I know there’s a salt series that’s more or less a delica 4. Wharncliffe?

Actually we're supposed to start seeing some serrated K390 at some point so don't speak too soon :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

H1. it's a great steel serrated and very tough /forgiving if you hit something.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I saw a post from Evil D about his serrated ladybug, is that or a dragonfly 2 in serrated something worth considering? I have a dragonfly 2 that I am relatively fond of.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

smaller blades really benefit from serrations because the serrations themselves actually increase the cutting surface of the knife substantially. serrations will help dig in and give more cutting power. you still get more benefit from longer blades with more teeth though. for example, a ladybug or dragonfly is probably not getting someone out of a seatbelt in one cut, serrations or not.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stoney87 wrote:
Glad to see that there isn’t a huge list of premium steels, like k390 or the like. Those take a chunk from the wallet. Maybe this will be my first delica type knife. I know there’s a salt series that’s more or less a delica 4. Wharncliffe?
Yes, the Salt 2 has a Delica 4 handle, but without liners, so it is lighter - actually as light as the BM Bugout that gets praised for its ultralight weight all the time (see also this thread if you like viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88925)

The Salt 2 blade is very similar to the Delica 4 blade too, but there are some minor differences:
1.) Larger opening hole, so blade a bit taller in the Salt 2
2.) Tip a bit sturdier due to the more pronounced "drop" towards the tip in the Salt 2 - I find this a very good thing, especially in SE: Since SE blades have a chisel grind and by that a much more acute edge angle (right up to the tip) and due to the thin blade the top is still pointy enough. but a bit stronger - and IF one snaps a blade, then most times at the very tip imho..
3.) Blade in the Salt 2 actually a bit longer
(4. Blade is practically totally rustproof in the Salt 2)

The Salt 2 SE in ffg for me is a great design - very light and slim carry, extremly good slicer due to te reasonable thin blade stock, and a cutting edge that is not too far in length from even a Manix LW (though the latter is a very different knife of course!)

See pic below: Manix 2, Salt 2, Delica 4 (so you can compare the edge length)

Meanwhile you narrowed your list down to (quote) "rock jumper, salt 2 in lc200n or h1 and a wharncliffe delica" - all three perfect choices for trying out SE imho!
Concerning Salt 2 in LC or H1 SE: For a FIRST and all purpose SE knife I´d strongly recommend the LC version, because of the full flat grind. For me this is more versatile and "slicier", and ffg in SE is more like a "better PE" for me.
For a SECOND SE knife I´d definitely got wirh H1 and sabre hollow - unbeatable in many tasks, but as said not as versatile as ffg imho.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Stoney87 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
I saw a post from Evil D about his serrated ladybug, is that or a dragonfly 2 in serrated something worth considering? I have a dragonfly 2 that I am relatively fond of.

It's small and cheap enough I think everyone should have one on their keys. It's my go-to "non knife people knife" I use any time it may be a bad idea to get out my Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 am
Stoney87 wrote:
A lot of good info there, thank you.
Yes, the Salt 2 has a Delica 4 handle, but without liners, so it is lighter - actually as light as the BM Bugout that gets praised for its ultralight weight all the time (see also this thread if you like viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88925)

The Salt 2 blade is very similar to the Delica 4 blade too, but there are some minor differences:
1.) Larger opening hole, so blade a bit taller in the Salt 2
2.) Tip a bit sturdier due to the more pronounced "drop" towards the tip in the Salt 2 - I find this a very good thing, especially in SE: Since SE blades have a chisel grind and by that a much more acute edge angle (right up to the tip) and due to the thin blade the top is still pointy enough. but a bit stronger - and IF one snaps a blade, then most times at the very tip imho..
3.) Blade in the Salt 2 actually a bit longer
(4. Blade is practically totally rustproof in the Salt 2)

The Salt 2 SE in ffg for me is a great design - very light and slim carry, extremly good slicer due to te reasonable thin blade stock, and a cutting edge that is not too far in length from even a Manix LW (though the latter is a very different knife of course!)

See pic below: Manix 2, Salt 2, Delica 4 (so you can compare the edge length)

Meanwhile you narrowed your list down to (quote) "rock jumper, salt 2 in lc200n or h1 and a wharncliffe delica" - all three perfect choices for trying out SE imho!
Concerning Salt 2 in LC or H1 SE: For a FIRST and all purpose SE knife I´d strongly recommend the LC version, because of the full flat grind. For me this is more versatile and "slicier", and ffg in SE is more like a "better PE" for me.
For a SECOND SE knife I´d definitely got wirh H1 and sabre hollow - unbeatable in many tasks, but as said not as versatile as ffg imho.

40mm

Post by 40mm »

Dragonfly salt is my only knife going on 7 months now. I typically carry a Victorinox classic along with it but keep losing the **** things so the Dragonfly is it. I've had many types of knives, Spycerco and other brands, but keep coming back to the Dragonfly in serrated H1. I also had a Sharpmaker in the past but found that this little Lansky sharpener does the job just as well. I'm tempted every so often to pick up another knife but this just gets it done.

Stoney87 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Old school here I have a work horse G-2 for 30 years, it’s my first and started my spyderco loyalty, vg10 is my 2nd choice, never tried any H-1
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Stoney87 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm
Those of you who carry serrated, or those that don’t but know their steel, what steel lends itself better to serrated edges from spyderco? I have been considering picking one up, just for something different to tryout. But from some light reading, and probably inaccurate memory, it seems some steels perform much better as a serrated edge? I’m not horribly knowledgeable on steels, but would larger carbides be a positive for serrated edges?
Have a few knives in SE H1 and they have been awesome. Love them!