Pound for pound the highest performing Spyderco is...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Pound for pound the highest performing Spyderco is...

Post by The Mastiff »

IMO the highest performing pound for pound knives are the K390 Delicas, The Maxamet Natives, or Rex 45 ? The small ones are too small for me to use safely.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 pm
The Ladybug Salt SE.

That's right. The highest performance-to-weight ratio you can get is this little fella right here:

That is 0.6oz of pocket chainsaw right there.

You're probably thinking, "no David you're wrong because the HAWKBILL is more aggressive", and you wouldn't be wrong for thinking that but it doesn't slice as well as the standard version and being a hawkbill means it isn't as versatile.

Now if only we could get a Ladybug Salt in FFG LC200N and serrations!

So I had already done the G10 DragonFly swap with a Salt Hawkbill blade which I *REALLY* like, but this thread got me thinking and searching, and I finally found a G10 Jester Sprint, and then swapped a Ladybug SE Hawkbill blade... it's for sure the only "tiny" knife that I would want to carry on the reg, solid as all get out...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60127&start=29780#p1555406

;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Much as I’d like to advocate for the Ladybug Hawkbill, I have to concede the greater general utility of the standard blade shape. However, the Ladybugs can’t kick the tiny SAK off my keychain. Gotta have those scissors, tweezers, toothpick, nail file/screwdriver/mini pry bar. As a result, I don’t often carry either Ladybug Salt. Too bad.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

My vote goes to the UKPK.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:11 pm
My vote goes to the UKPK.
Hard to argue with almost 3" of blade at 1.7 oz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I sorta have to amend my original statement anyway because the ARK is a much better slicer and at 0.9oz it's still a featherweight. I think I could do harder and more extended use with the ARK too. Both definitely perform surprisingly well for their size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is an interesting "title" as most of Evil D's threads are. But instead of one of those "Micro-Spyders" I would have to give that distinction of the highest performing Spyder pound for pound to the C-52 Caly Jr. model. It's a shame that they deleted it in full SE toward the end. But in both edge types the C-52 Caly Jr was an awesome tool for it's size. I'm surprised it was not made a permanent model actually.

Heck I even had the Burgundy, ZDP-189 version of the Caly Jr. as my main EDC for a few months some time back. Until I severely cut myself with it :sick . And it was one of the meanest lacerations I ever endured :scream

If they do a Sprint Run of the C-52 Caly JR I will insist on a PE & SE run for that model. Because it was another model that was great in both edge types.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, "pound for pound" to me means the highest performance to weight ratio. Once you start comparing knives that are 2x-3x the weight of this Ladybug or the ARK, I'm not so sure you're gaining 2x-3x the performance to go with it. Maybe over the Ladybug just because it's so little to grab ahold of but my larger than average hands have no problem using the ARK rather hard.

So... think about what offers the most aggressive cutting in the absolute lightest package...? Up until the knife becomes too small or too short to accomplish a task, that has to be the Ladybug Salt SE or ARK. I'm sure the next size up knife is even more capable, I could do harder work with a Dragonfly, but again what exactly does "pound for pound" mean to you? In fighting sports this is defined by being the best of a given weight class, so comparing a larger knife to a Ladybug is stepping out of what pound for pound means.
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm
I have the manbug salt but yes.

It would be the number one spyderco I would recommend to people who dont care about knives at all.

It will cut anything.
Its rustproof.
Its tough as nails.
It can go indefinitely with zero maintenance.
You could arguably get away with never sharpening it.
Small.
Light.
Cheap.
Non threatening.
Throw it in a purse or glove box for 20 years and it wont care.
This is what I got for my mother as a gardening knife. You're absolutely right.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wonder if the Salt UKPK will still steal the crown?

Edited to fix another typo. Why do I only see them after they are quoted? :thinking
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i'd probably have to go with the se pacific salt for highest performing pound for pound. it's such a light knife. it's not really that much heavier than a lot of these others being listed, but the longer blade makes it a lot more capable. anything larger starts to get noticeably heavier to me and is less comfortable or convenient to carry (mostly due to size).

the pacific salt sits perfectly in my waistband without any discomfort, regardless of activity, as long as i'm not rolling around over it constantly. with the thin and contoured handle and it's light weight, it's barely noticeable, but packs a lot of usefulness. given a choice between my hblb salt and my pac salt, i'm going to choose my pac salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 pm
d, thanks for the idea. i went a different route and did two lanyard knots that pass through each other and lock against each other. two loops!
Great Pic!!

I’ll have to agree with EvilD. The Ladybug just flat gets it done. A fob can help make for a better fit with large hands; mine could use another couple knots but it works fine as is. I’ve carried mine in the pocket with the fob, or on a lanyard. Either work great!

F8DDE5A6-9828-4DDC-A1B7-E4466F18E6BD.jpeg
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:42 am
I wonder if the Salt UKPK will still the crown?
Too soon for me to form definitive opinion and will have to put many more miles on it, but it's growing on me fast. ;)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I can agree on the small knives being very useful. I edc a manbug zdp-189 in the office. My favorite as far as utility for size/weight is the Native 5.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Meh.... hawkbill schmockbill

I'm really developing an afinity for these guys over my other blade shapes like my SE reverse-s or my SE Wharnie models...

Tasman Salt2, G10 Byrd Hawkbill, Harpy, Merlin, G10 DragonFly2*, G10 Jester Sprint**

* Blade swap with DragonFly2 Salt SE Hawkbill
** Blade swap with LadyBug SE Salt Hawkbill

:winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Couldn't wait until we got home :winking-tongue

Carolina Reaper pepper jack mmmmmmm
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Dang it EvilD!! Now you’ve got me wanting an SE Ladybug Salt again!!!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I disagree. When I read the title I immediately thought of the Manix 2 LW. Actually I don't consider a small knife being useful for hard work because it is so hard to get a good grip on it, the Manix 2 is big enough to get a good grip.
But back to the SE Ladybug- I bought one some years ago. I was showing it to my daughter at a fast food restaurant and so we rolled up a paper napkin and tried to cut through it. It did a poor job of cutting through the napkin, the longer PE blade that I was carrying cut through the napkin with no resistance.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You are not wrong, D. I've often been amazed at what this little wonder of a knife will do. I've cut stuff with mine that I probably shouldn't have, but it doesn't seem to bother the SE Ladybug. (Mine's in VG-10, but hey). I'd really, I mean REALLY, like to see the FFG in SE option that you mentioned. In any steel. I'd buy that tonight if I could.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt SE that is quite an amazing little cutter that performs out of proportion to its size. However, I am kinda wishing I’d selected the version with the standard blade shape. IMO, it would be more versatile. However, I’m very happy with mine.

The Endela SE is an amazing cutter. Its FFG blade, combined with its non-aggressive serrations, make mine a pleasure to handle whenever I use it.

Jim