Retire The PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Retire The PM2?

Post by elena86 »

My brain hurts :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

pm2og wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Hear me out:

Here is my proposal. Make a thinned out Shaman. Thinner scales and blade stock. Fix the nub everyone hates. This creates a knife that for all intents and purposes makes the PM2 obsolete.
The Shaman basically fixed all the mechanical issues with the PM2. Got rid of the standoffs that make disassembly a nightmare. Changed the screwed in stop pin with a free floating thus eliminating the action bind by over tightening at reassembly. Got rid of the flared lanyard tube. Blade centering is easier with a Shaman. The PM2 was built to not be disassembled but thats not the knife world we live in now. Everyone is customizing and servicing their own knives and I support that fully. A skinny Shaman would be a better PM2. This just makes sense to me as the next evolution.

Maybe even a Vanax Shaman Skinny :D

I look forward to the feedback on this idea.

With Love From Instagram PM2OG
*Looks at PM2 in pocket

Nah
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
jacala

Post by jacala »

Go.Run.Jump.Springboard.Lake.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Not getting rid of my PM2s, but I’ve been dying for a thinner shaman.
James Y

Post by James Y »

pm2og wrote:
Hear me out:

Here is my proposal. Make a thinned out Shaman. Thinner scales and blade stock. Fix the nub everyone hates. This creates a knife that for all intents and purposes makes the PM2 obsolete.
The Shaman basically fixed all the mechanical issues with the PM2. Got rid of the standoffs that make disassembly a nightmare. Changed the screwed in stop pin with a free floating thus eliminating the action bind by over tightening at reassembly. Got rid of the flared lanyard tube. Blade centering is easier with a Shaman. The PM2 was built to not be disassembled but thats not the knife world we live in now. Everyone is customizing and servicing their own knives and I support that fully. A skinny Shaman would be a better PM2. This just makes sense to me as the next evolution.

No.

Jim
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Great Idea!
I've just opened up a PM2 retirement home at my place. :D
Full serviced for just a huble monthly fee.
Ship me your retired PM2's and I'll give them a great old day. :p

archangel

Post by archangel »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 pm
No retire pm2

I strongly second that.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...

Hahaha..... :D
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Boy it's been a long time since I somehow agreed so much with a post while at the same time reading it and thinking to myself "wow dude...puff puff pass bro".

Firstly, it'll never happen no matter how good the next model is. The only way the PM2 is going anywhere is if there's a drastic enough CQI to justify changing it into the next generation, and since there's already a PM3 I guess it would be the PM4? Either way it won't happen. We can agree that the Shaman is better, and I very much do agree, but the knife buying world is much bigger than you or I and this forum.

Secondly, "the PM2 was made to not be disassembled" is a bit silly. A more accurate description is that manufacturing methods have changed. Simple as that. Remember that every knife sent in for warranty or repair has to be disassembled too so the factory are getting them apart. I've had all of my PM2s apart. At least it's screw construction, if they wanted it to not be easy to take apart they'd go back to pinned construction. Blade centering and all the rest is also just the result of updated manufacturing, the Shaman is better in part because it benefits from the decade of manufacturing experience that the PM2 provided.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why would you have to discontinue the Para2 to make a skinny Shaman? Seems like you could propose your idea in a different manner.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

pm2og wrote:
Hear me out:

I think you got it. :cool:
Michael
jdw

Post by jdw »

That's just silly and I am not even a fan of the PM2.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Maybe you're bored of PM2s/have become jaded, but the PM2 is a great design and a great seller. It's like BM discontinuing the griptilian.

Also, if they discontinue the PM2, how will you get that vanax one you've been wanting?
Last edited by GarageBoy on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:42 am
Why would you have to discontinue the Para2 to make a skinny Shaman? Seems like you could propose your idea in a different manner.
Because then it wouldn’t be as controversial or garner as much attention...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pm2og, are you actually abandoning your earlier Vanax PM2 campaign? ;)

Regarding the topic, realistically of course the PM2 isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't say a skinny Shaman is impossible though, because we're talking about Spyderco here. ;) Personally, I'd pass on both.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yeah, the PM2 obviously isn't going anywhere, nor should it
but hey, I like hearing unpopular opinions (seriously)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Both the PM2 and the Shaman have huge fan bases, why mess with them!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

It feels like i'm just heaping on at this point, but.. What?! Haha the PM2 isn't going anywhere.

That said, I feel like the OP brings up some valid points regarding CQI. I wouldn't be opposed to a floating stop pin in the PM2. The Para 3 has the floating stop pin and it was CQI'd into the Military.. I wouldn't be surprised, or saddened in any way, if it was eventually implemented in the the PM2 as well. As far as retirement though.. yeah, just no haha ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am
Both the PM2 and the Shaman have huge fan bases, why mess with them!?

Yeah I'm going 10 years strong without buying one and it hasn't really effected me but I will admit I'm a little jealous of all the sprints and exclusives. If anything I might benefit from funneling production resources into other models I like more but the idea of "I don't like this so it must not be popular" just doesn't make sense to me especially when the PM2 is probably the flagship model for Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David