Retire The PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Retire The PM2?

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
:D I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree but several of our forum comrades are Instagram people, including me. Although I don't really post very often. I follow a lot of things besides knives. So I pretty much just watch

I think the IG people you're referring to are the ones who are trying to make money from being an encourager (I know there's a better name for it). If they're not trying to make money from it I suppose they're simply trying to get more followers but I'm pretty sure they're both related. I feel the same about some of the YouTubers. I enjoy watching YT for information for other hobbies (not for knives) and have some preferred people to watch but hate when any of them state to hit the like button & don't forget to subscribe lol.

Ok thread derail over and back to our regularly scheduled program...

Retiring the PM2, one of the most popular folding knife models of all time, would be shooting themselves in the foot. Why would any company in their right mind retire their best selling product? I don't carry any of my PM2s very often anymore but I still think it's a great model. And as far as "fixing that nub that everyone hates"....no issue with it for me. I think I'm fortunate that my hands must be about the same size as Sal & Eric's. Pretty much all the Spyderco models I have fit my hands perfect
The OP posts screenshots of his posts on the forum on his Insta where we are used as a punchline. Seems weird to me. This forum falls into his trap every time and his "likes" go up. And before he can make a meme of this and say okay boomer, I'm 31 lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
:D I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree but several of our forum comrades are Instagram people, including me. Although I don't really post very often. I follow a lot of things besides knives. So I pretty much just watch

I think the IG people you're referring to are the ones who are trying to make money from being an encourager (I know there's a better name for it). If they're not trying to make money from it I suppose they're simply trying to get more followers but I'm pretty sure they're both related. I feel the same about some of the YouTubers. I enjoy watching YT for information for other hobbies (not for knives) and have some preferred people to watch but hate when any of them state to hit the like button & don't forget to subscribe lol.
Correct! Mainly all these "influencers" and "models" out there are what I'm referring to. Just gives Instagram a bad name because stories about these people are all you read about in the media.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Nowadays, those who scream the shrillest seem to get the most attention.

BTW, I AM a “boomer” and proud of it, lol.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:42 am
The OP posts screenshots of his posts on the forum on his Insta where we are used as a punchline. Seems weird to me. This forum falls into his trap every time and his "likes" go up. And before he can make a meme of this and say okay boomer, I'm 31 lol.
That's pretty sketchy, but whatever. Let them come over here and see what's really going on!

Hmmm, you're only 31...I always figured 88 in your name was for the year you were born. I surely hope it doesn't have anything to do with a particular Cowboys WR that used to wear #88! :eek: :p

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Spydergirl88 wrote:

Seems like a passive-aggressive thing to do, but whatever...

It says a lot more about him than anyone else here.

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:49 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
That's pretty sketchy, but whatever. Let them come over here and see what's really going on!

Hmmm, you're only 31...I always figured 88 in your name was for the year you were born. I surely hope it doesn't have anything to do with a particular Cowboys WR that used to wear #88! :eek: :p
I plead the 5th! But hey we got Lamb now lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
brancron

Post by brancron »

To please me, you'd have to make this "thinned out" Shaman essentially identical to the PM2 in terms of its profile. I greatly prefer the PM2.
pm2og

Post by pm2og »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm
There are other "Shaman" designs in-the-works, including a thinner lighter one with a thinner blade stock.

sal
Hey Sal,

Thank you for the reply. That sounds awesome. Love it.

Josh
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pm2og wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am
sal wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm
There are other "Shaman" designs in-the-works, including a thinner lighter one with a thinner blade stock.

sal
Hey Sal,

Thank you for the reply. That sounds awesome. Love it.

Josh

This might interest you and others:
Sal about one year ago (quote):

" I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. 'mI thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight."
(source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&p=1406714&hil ... n#p1406714)

I started a thread back then where we discussed this design: viewtopic.php?t=86264
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Oh I see, keep those ideas coming ...
E7C3886F-287D-45B8-80B5-6A38E6353199.png
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So he thinks HIS idea started this and Sal jumped right on it that very day he started the thread...because it was HIS idea?? This guy hahaha!

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think op needs the ban hammer if this is how he treats the forum. Just my opinion though.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:26 pm
Oh I see, keep those ideas coming ...

E7C3886F-287D-45B8-80B5-6A38E6353199.png
soc_monki wrote: I think op needs the ban hammer if this is how he treats the forum. Just my opinion though.
Folks, I am not defending the guy and I don´t know anything about Instagram - but I´d say: Let´s perhaps calm down a bit and look at what actually happened and was posted on instagram (?):

- He actually had a Shaman idea (skinny Shaman) - sure, many (among them a man named Sal Glasser ;) ) had that idea previously, but this happens all the time on this forum: Someone proposes something that has already been proposed some time ago
- He started a thread about that idea and it started a lot of (partly interesting) discussion
- Sal stopped by an did let us know what was going on (that he is already working on a thinner, lighter Shaman)
- OP loved that Sal did this
- And posted all of the above on instragram (? if this is instagram)

That´s all I can see (but perhaps I am missing something), looking at it realistically, right? No claiming that he was the first one with this idea and Sal gladly took it from him... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 pm
Folks, I am not defending the guy and I don´t know anything about Instagram - but I´d say: Let´s perhaps calm down a bit and look at what actually happened and was posted on instagram (?):

- He actually had a Shaman idea (skinny Shaman) - sure, many (among them a man named Sal Glasser ;) ) had that idea previously, but this happens all the time on this forum: Someone proposes something that has already been proposed some time ago
- He started a thread about that idea and it started a lot of (partly interesting) discussion
- Sal stopped by an did let us know what was going on (that he is already working on a thinner, lighter Shaman)

That´s all I can see (but perhaps I am missing something), looking at it realistically, right? No claiming that he was the first one with this idea and Sal gladly took it from him... ;)
For me, it was the part where he said "MY Shaman idea" When this, as you have mentioned has been discussed quite a few times already and Sal himself likely leading the project.

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 pm

For me, it was the part where he said "MY Shaman idea" When this, as you have mentioned has been discussed quite a few times already and Sal himself likely leading the project.
And we don't need his kind of... Instagramming... Here lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

to be fair, he did post his shaman idea and sal's post that he shared clearly states it's already in the works. he's not taking credit for it. and, if that's what he's trying to do, he's not helping his case by posting sal's words. i don't see anything wrong with what his post says.

i do think his start to this thread is a bit... icky. it's not really the way people carry themselves on this forum. however, it's not against any of the forum rules and the mods seem to be okay with it.

i agree with wartstein about the countless threads proposing requests for changes in current models. just because his tone is that of a person seeking attention on social media doesn't mean he shouldn't be welcomed here. i know i come across as harsh sometimes... we could all use some grace.

op, as you can see, people here are mostly willing to engage in discussions about changes to current production models or new design ideas. i think you'll get more positive attention here if you're not trying to be click-baity and provocative though. just present your ideas like a normal person having a normal conversation. the drama isn't necessary.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

If anything I'd like to see a Shaman XL.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd think the tanto PM2 is a better intermediate step between the PM2 and shaman.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!