Retire The PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Retire The PM2?

Post by Matus »

Nicely put.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Other than the comp lock, isn’t a thinner Shaman basically a Manix?
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 am
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am
Speaking of the PM2, the S110V version is sold out everywhere. Surely it hasn't been discontinued?
Soonerstateknives
Thanks!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 pm
Comp locks and thin blade stock are a no-go in these modern spydie times right?

2.5 mm seems to be no problem (Ikuchi...), 3mm certainly not (Kapara, Sage...)

The Shaman is cool with its thick blade stock, but that thickness really is not necessary even for "hard work" imho. I did all kinds of rather crazy things to my 3mm folders: Never any problem.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sal listens to ideas that get thrown around here. We all know that. He’s even reminded me directly after I rolled my eyes out loud one time too many.

So, I will say just this: there’s a big difference between saying you want a corrected (that is, thinner, nubless) Shaman (and, oh, BTW, good riddance PM2!), and saying you want something like the Shaman that is slicier and easier to maintain.

The former disses proven Glesser successes (not to mention industry-leading design-chops, production strategies and market-awareness); the latter opens the door to an altogether new design.

I, for one, want more designs that are actually new, not tweaked (as distinct from CQI’d) old designs that are already far better than good enough and keep the company afloat.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me: Same handle, thinner blade, linerlock :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No Absolutely NOT!! I want the C-36 Military, PM2 and PM3 to all be permanent models in the main line up. I've always had an affinity for the Golden, CO USA made models and they are just fine right there in the main line up where they've been for years and should remain.

But with all due respect if you desire a newly revamped model as you've described then that's fine. But in no way would I support deleting any of the current Golden, CO made models. You just don't change what is already great IMO.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, so I realize I'm a but late to the party here (already we're on page 4), but I just want to register that my PM2 is far from obsolete, and cuts just fine. In fact, it out-cuts my Shaman on a regular basis, because the blade is thinner.

In fact, I plan on purchasing more PM2s. The Curcarta is pre-ordered already.

I agree that the Shaman is roughly the same length as the PM2, but the differences in handle ergonomics and blade shapes make them suited to quite different tasks.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

There are other "Shaman" designs in-the-works, including a thinner lighter one with a thinner blade stock.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 pm
Comp locks and thin blade stock are a no-go in these modern spydie times right?

2.5 mm seems to be no problem (Ikuchi...), 3mm certainly not (Kapara, Sage...)

The Shaman is cool with its thick blade stock, but that thickness really is not necessary even for "hard work" imho. I did all kinds of rather crazy things to my 3mm folders: Never any problem.
I was picturing 2mm being a no go
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Also, Apple should phase out the iPhone.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm
There are other "Shaman" designs in-the-works, including a thinner lighter one with a thinner blade stock.

sal
I’m good with the: dieting Shaman...skinny Shaman...Shaman skinny jeans...Shaman Padawan...

No touchie the PM2, PLEASE!

Thanks for the news Sal, hope you’re well in these days!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm
Also, Apple should phase out the iPhone.
Well said, sir. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Asking for the skinny shaman (which is the rebellious kid who left the nice native family, and started taking steroids) is one thing, asking for the PM2 to be discontinued is another.

"It is not enough that I suceed, others must fail"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Maybe I’m missing something here. I see references to “PM3, PM4” and I don’t know of either being a thing that exists. Some get confused and erroneously call the Para 3 a “PM3,” but never have I seen or read about a shipping model called “PM4.”

What’s this about Benchmade discontinuing the Griptilian line? That sounds untrue and would be as foolish as Spyderco sunsetting the Delica.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would like to see a Shaman with a thumb ramp and a G10 handle also the blade a little less body

Here is the Shaman killer
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sherman

Post by Sherman »

sal wrote:
sal
Looking forward... Such a great design the Shaman, but will look perfect in the "little bit lighter" version
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
Lmao Rick, me too.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sherman wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 am
sal wrote:
sal
Looking forward... Such a great design the Shaman, but will look perfect in the "little bit lighter" version

Will look good, maybe even great in the "little bit lighter" version, but is perfect just the way it is.

Just as the PM2.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Instagram people annoy me...
:D I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree but several of our forum comrades are Instagram people, including me. Although I don't really post very often. I follow a lot of things besides knives. So I pretty much just watch

I think the IG people you're referring to are the ones who are trying to make money from being an encourager (I know there's a better name for it). If they're not trying to make money from it I suppose they're simply trying to get more followers but I'm pretty sure they're both related. I feel the same about some of the YouTubers. I enjoy watching YT for information for other hobbies (not for knives) and have some preferred people to watch but hate when any of them state to hit the like button & don't forget to subscribe lol.

Ok thread derail over and back to our regularly scheduled program...

Retiring the PM2, one of the most popular folding knife models of all time, would be shooting themselves in the foot. Why would any company in their right mind retire their best selling product? I don't carry any of my PM2s very often anymore but I still think it's a great model. And as far as "fixing that nub that everyone hates"....no issue with it for me. I think I'm fortunate that my hands must be about the same size as Sal & Eric's. Pretty much all the Spyderco models I have fit my hands perfect
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!