Remove Loctite from G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
not_the_sharpest

Remove Loctite from G10

Post by not_the_sharpest »

So I was flipping my new PM2 clip from tip down to tip up. After stripping the torx heads on two of the screws I finally got the clip removed. Underneath the clip I discover there was loctite on the scales. What is the best way to get this out? I tried a little alcohol but that didn’t seem to do much. I tried a magic eraser and applying heat but am afraid to get much more aggressive since this was the olive drab G10 from the latest DLT exclusive.
Attachments
036EA515-C0F6-48AA-9AB0-D3CDAC9EDA2F.jpeg
soulspy

Re: Remove Loctite from G10

Post by soulspy »

I'd try 99% isopropyl and if that doesn't work, some acetone or fingernail polish remover. G-10 is quite resistant to solvents, so it should not effect the color at all, whereas abrasives will change the texture a bit.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

This may sound dumb, but try more Loctite. Dab it on with a cotton swab. The wet Loctite may act like a solvent on the dried stuff.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hmmm.. I've had good luck with isopropyl alcohol prep pads in the past (though I don't think I've ever had that much loctite caked into a scale before..). Maybe some "goo gone" or similar..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This reminds me of the thread Vivi started the other day when trying to disassemble his Native Chief. What the heck is going on all the sudden with the crazy amounts of Loctite coming out of Golden!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am
This reminds me of the thread Vivi started the other day when trying to disassemble his Native Chief. What the heck is going on all the sudden with the crazy amounts of Loctite coming out of Golden!?

What I wonder more is there seems to have been a change from the evil Red Loctite to Red's equally evil cousin White Loctite. Or it's a matter of, white is less strong so we'll use twice as much to compensate. It also seems to be used by makers in different countries since mine was from Taichung and this is from Golden. I wonder why they don't switch to the paste stick thread locker? Might be easier to control it it doesn't effect cost too much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Those loc tite sticks are awesome. So easy to use too. Just rub the screw on it and you have enough in the threads. I would suggest thinner or mineral spirits. The g10 can handle it.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Methylene chloride is the solvent.
Google that in the USA.

What POKEY said is a good suggestion...use more Loctite, and that might clean it?
not_the_sharpest

Thanks for the replies. I've tried acetone, mineral spirits, WD40, Goo Gone followed by some scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush. I may have made a little progress, but I have not found a miracle remover. I received replacement screws from Spyderco and they came with some 243 thread locker, so I'm going to try a little of that when I have time.

I breezed through that other thread mentioned and while I don't want to get into the debate about taking knives apart, switching a pocket clip should not be a big deal. This is by far the most trouble I've had changing one.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe you can call Spyderco and see what they recommend? Or send it in for warranty work? I don't know your location, so either might be difficult or impossible, practically speaking.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I've never had to remove it from the surface of anything but brake cleaner has worked for me in the past to remove it from screws when heat wasn't an option.
-Turbo
kobold

Post by kobold »

It is counterproductive to use loctite on pocket clip screws on knives advertised as a four-way clip position capable knives. It would be kinda better to include the clip and screws separately in a zip-lock bag and let the owner decide where to install the clip. The other two options would be to use much harder screws, or forget about using loctite completely.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

kobold wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:36 pm
It is counterproductive to use loctite on pocket clip screws on knives advertised as a four-way clip position capable knives. It would be kinda better to include the clip and screws separately in a zip-lock bag and let the owner decide where to install the clip. The other two options would be to use much harder screws, or forget about using loctite completely.
This 100 % and the other points as well.
I remove the clip on every knife, because I'm a lefty. On nearly every knife the clip leaves an imprint in the handle, where it was installed in the factory.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I dont like the imprint either, but some people would strip a screw, lose 1, or something and would be a pain in the *** for customer service
kobold

Post by kobold »

The money saved on loctite could be used to preemptively include an extra screw.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Todays society there are not many men to handle this situation.
not_the_sharpest

So I tried using a little Loctite that came with the replacement screws to remove the dried on stuff. I dampened the are with Loctite on a q-tip, let it set for 30 seconds of so the scrubbed with a brush. Then cleaned the area with mineral spirits/acetone. In addition I used an Xacto blade to poke down in the grooves to break up some of the larger chunks. After repeating this cycle 8-9 times this is the end result. Not a silver bullet but it is better.

I wouldn’t mind if they shipped clips loose, but I can certainly see why they don’t. Eliminate the Loctite for the clip and I’d be satisfied.

I did reach out to CS to see I go they had any tips, and have not heard back yet. I also reached out to Henkel to see what they recommended.
Attachments
0447BF08-6CFE-41F1-A2B7-3256A0A467D4.jpeg