Knives that cut like the Native Chief in upcoming sprint runs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gil P.

Knives that cut like the Native Chief in upcoming sprint runs?

Post by Gil P. »

Well, I lost my Spyderco Native Chief in REX 45 at the job site recently. I really loved the way that knife cut.

Can you guys shed some light on other Spyderco knives that cut similarly? I enjoy the steels Spyderco puts out in their sprint runs, so if you know any great cutting knives coming out in a sprint steel, please let me know.
Burton Knut

Re: Knives that cut like the Native Chief in upcoming sprint runs?

Post by Burton Knut »

Rumor has it we’ll be seeing a 4V Chief in the near future, but I haven’t seen confirmation on that yet.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not a sprint steel, but I can´t imagine that an Endura in K390 cuts any worse than the Chief. Even a tad thinner blade stock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And, even further from a "special sprint steel" knife, but still:

The Tenacious LW in S35VN should be an amazing cutter with its tall, rather thin blade.
And when it comes to cutting edge: Not too much less than the Chief (Tenacious edge: 3.39" / 86 mm, Chief 3.6 / 91 mm)
Overall it is of course a much smaller knife
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Military.

It has more belly, and the blade stock is a little thicker but since you used the words "job site" to describe where you presumably use the knife, that may not be a negative.

As previously said, Endura, if you're okay going a little smaller. Police 4 if you're okay going a little bigger.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
vivi

Post by vivi »

There's a rex45 chief on the spyderco swap right now, I just sent you info on signing up.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c244 ... 6InmH4AA10 - XHP sprint is still available

As far as different models, most of the Spydercos with comparably sized blades are going to have thicker blade stock, be thicker behind the edge, or both in my experience. Your best bet is probably the K390 Police or Endura, depending on which size speaks to you.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco makes many knives that will cut similarly in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gil P. wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:42 am
Well, I lost my Spyderco Native Chief in REX 45 ...
I guess you´re not from Europe?
The REX 45 Chief is still in stock over here - but for the usual European prices, that might be hard to swallow for US people... ;)
The price in the first link is actually not too bad though (keep in mind: These are Euros, not Dollars)

https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-C ... UN-20.html
https://www.knivesandtools.at/de/pt/-sp ... messer.htm
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Police 4 in K390.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:00 am
There's a rex45 chief on the spyderco swap right now, I just sent you info on signing up.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c244 ... 6InmH4AA10 - XHP sprint is still available

As far as different models, most of the Spydercos with comparably sized blades are going to have thicker blade stock, be thicker behind the edge, or both in my experience. Your best bet is probably the K390 Police or Endura, depending on which size speaks to you.
I did see an Endura 4 in HAP 40 on knife center. How does the handle feel on the Endura 4 and Police?

My main complaint about the Chief was when I really beared down on the knife, I would actuate the back lock. It wasn't good when the blade was stuck in something.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gil P. wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:03 pm
vivi wrote:

I did see an Endura 4 in HAP 40 on knife center. How does the handle feel on the Endura 4 and Police?

My main complaint about the Chief was when I really beared down on the knife, I would actuate the back lock. It wasn't good when the blade was stuck in something.
I find that happens less for me on the Police and Endura vs the Chief. I haven't depressed the lock release of the Chief enough to unlock it, but I have the same thing happen as you.

I find the Police 4 handle a little more comfortable, glove size XL-XXL. The Endura handle isn't bad by any means though. They're both great designs.
:unicorn
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think I would just get another Rex45 Chief or the one in S30V.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Police 4 LW perhaps? This is the K390 but there is a VG-10 version that is a lot cheaper.

Then there is this HAP40 model.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gil P. wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:03 pm
vivi wrote:

The HAP 40 Endura for me is probably the best folder I ever tried.

The steel itself is pretty similar to REX 45 as far as I know (of course cladded with SUS410, which actually has its advantages,but perhaps run a bit softer than REX 45).

Ergos are just perfect for me, but generally the Endura ergos are a bit controversial due to the finger grooves. You'd have to try how you like it.
Also I really like to choke up on the Ricasso, more so than on many dedicated choils, but I guess I am in the minority concerning this.

I also prefer FRN over G10, and the Endura will be a bit lighter than the Chief, but also offer a bit less cutting edge (not by much though, 3mm as far as I recall, you'd have to look that up).

Never, ever came even remotely close to activating the lockbar in use with the Endura.

Of course the Police will be great too, but larger than the Chief, while the Endura is a hair smaller (I think, did not check).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Knife Center has a Pakka Wood Police 4 in HAP 40, which is the Japanese version of REX45. Their verison is san mai laminated and run a little softer than Golden runs their Rex45, but should be extremely similar.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal