My growing love for the Para3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

My growing love for the Para3

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I cant put it down or even part with it to be completely honest. It's for me the perfect EDC. It has a great fidget factor which is useful because I deal with anxiety to the extremes so the para3 doesn't just provide me a cutting tool but it provides therapy lol. It's pushed every other knife in my collection out of my pocket including my beloved CRKs. I have had to force myself to carry other knives just so I dont feel like I have money laying around wasted but the Para3 comes along also. If I'm going out on a boat I'll just cover the blade in frog lube. It's truly become a companion in every aspect of my life. So I owe Sal and Eric a big thank you for this knife so thank you guys!

Happy Monday everyone!
Randy
Stay sharp!
elena86

Re: My growing love for the Para3

Post by elena86 »

I own quite a few. I only wish they ground the Para3 blade thinner behind the edge. My grey G10 Cruwear Para3 is my fav of the bunch.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

I never quite fell in love with the g10 version. But I recently got a LW and it’s a game changer for me. Something about it just works for me better than the g10 ever did. And you’re right about the fidget factor. I think it’s even more fun to flick around than the pm2 is. Definitely try the LW if you can! :spyder:
Ric

Post by Ric »

My love for the Para 3 is now gone.

It's replaced by the Para 3 lightweight.

The perfect knife overall.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used to have 7, now down to 2...this guy is with me for a few days this week and will never be sold. Long live M4!!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Ric wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:05 am
My love for the Para 3 is now gone.

It's replaced by the Para 3 lightweight.

The perfect knife overall.
Also a huge fan of the Para 3 LW. Love that smooth FRN and the wire clip!!! I have 3, the blacked out BD1N, the Blue SPY27 and the little monster, the all serrated edge BD1N that I use as a work knife and it does great.
Also agree with the OP on carrying other knives to justify the spending!! I am with you brother 100%. The struggle is real!! Haha
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

PStone wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 am
I never quite fell in love with the g10 version. But I recently got a LW and it’s a game changer for me. Something about it just works for me better than the g10 ever did. And you’re right about the fidget factor. I think it’s even more fun to flick around than the pm2 is. Definitely try the LW if you can! :spyder:
I hate G10. Mines CF with s90v blade. Currently trying to decide on what scales to put on my 20cv para2.
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Glad you like it, Randy! :)

The Para 3 is certainly not my favorite Spyderco, but in this size range I´d still take it over almost any knife of another brand.

Perhaps some day you´d like to try a Sage 5. I´d be curious what you think about it compared to the Para 3
For me the Sage 5 - similar size, also comp. lock - has some distinct advantages. Wonder if it would be the same for you or not!

Anyway: Enjoy your Para 3: It is great to have a knife that - at least for some time - feels and works so great that it kicks all others out of the pocket... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:24 am

The Para 3 is certainly not my favorite Spyderco, but in this size range I´d still take it over almost any knife of another brand.

Perhaps some day you´d like to try a Sage 5. I´d be curious what you think about it compared to the Para 3
For me the Sage 5 - similar size, also comp. lock - has some distinct advantages. Wonder if it would be the same for you or not!

Anyway: Enjoy your Para 3: It is great to have a knife that - at least for some time - feels and works so great that it kicks all others out of the pocket... :)
It's funny you mention the sage 5 because I'm waiting for some sprint runs to be announced. I'm not a fan of s30v so that's the only reason I haven't bought one yet :)
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:44 am
Wartstein wrote:

It's funny you mention the sage 5 because I'm waiting for some sprint runs to be announced. I'm not a fan of s30v so that's the only reason I haven't bought one yet :)

I know that you don´t want S30V ;)

Since Sal carried a Sage 5 LW as platform for trying out a certain steel (REX 121??) I was hoping that the Sage 5 would eventually replace the Para 3 as platform for different steels, also for the customer. But this seems to be very uncertain..

You could try the overall Sage shape (its for me better handle, thinner blade...) in the Sage 1 in Maxamet.. sure, linerlock instead of comp. lock, probably not for you since you say you like the fidget factor of the comp. lock. And though I love the linerlock, in "fidgeting" it stands no chance against a comp. lock... ;)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C123GGY/1916
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I found the Sage/Para 3 series really being apples to apples in comparison. Very similar knives. The Sage series gets the fun of different locks and handle materials....Para 3 gets 394273493274 Sprints/Exclusives. Seemed redundant to me to own each of these.

*that's me rationalizing my collection to myself, works for me! :p *

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The Sage 5 is also awesome, love mine. Have you had a bad experience with s30v?
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I’m glad you’ve found a model that you like so much! It’s difficult for me to pick just one form of Spydie, though sometimes I wish I’d found my perfect one already. But then I change knives for the 3rd time in a day and figure nah, variety is the spice of life haha. Cheers :)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

M Sea wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The Sage 5 is also awesome, love mine. Have you had a bad experience with s30v?
I have a griptillian in s30v and I'm not impressed with how quickly it goes dull.
Stay sharp!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MFlovejp wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:32 pm
I’m glad you’ve found a model that you like so much! It’s difficult for me to pick just one form of Spydie, though sometimes I wish I’d found my perfect one already. But then I change knives for the 3rd time in a day and figure nah, variety is the spice of life haha. Cheers :)
Haha, exactly!!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Once you get your sharpening equipment and begin to understand the sharpening process, and begin to achieve better and better edges...you'll find your outlook on certain steels may change, once you find the right DPS or grit that works for a particular steel that suits your needs. THAT'S where the fun of knives and steels really starts to kick into high gear!

-Rick
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm
Once you get your sharpening equipment and begin to understand the sharpening process, and begin to achieve better and better edges...you'll find your outlook on certain steels may change, once you find the right DPS or grit that works for a particular steel that suits your needs. THAT'S where the fun of knives and steels really starts to kick into high gear!
I have the KME Deluxe package sharpening system on the way. Includes the base and all their diamond stones and ceramic/Arkansas stones and a leather strope with 4000 grit compound. Figured I might as well just jump in head first.
Stay sharp!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I have the KME Deluxe package sharpening system on the way. Includes the base and all their diamond stones and ceramic/Arkansas stones and a leather strope with 4000 grit compound. Figured I might as well just jump in head first.
Heck yea!! That's a better set up than what I've got. Even with a nice system like that, there's still a bit of a learning curve. Don't get discouraged if things don't go as smoothly as expected right away! I used to get pretty frustrated, then one day things just started clicking. Now I look forward to dulling my knives just so I can experiment with some lower grits and angles :)

-Rick
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Heck yea!! That's a better set up than what I've got. Even with a nice system like that, there's still a bit of a learning curve. Don't get discouraged if things don't go as smoothly as expected right away! I used to get pretty frustrated, then one day things just started clicking. Now I look forward to dulling my knives just so I can experiment with some lower grits and angles :)
Oh I know I'm going to be saying some bad words at first lol. Tips are where I struggle most on a regular wet stone so I'm going to definitely be practicing on cheap knives first.
Stay sharp!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Let me share my story ... after watching a lot of videos and briefly trying out the G10 S110V version I plunged for a secondary-market Cruware / Smooth G10, imported to EU with all the related charges (that pushed the total price to very close of 300€) ... and just could not warm up to it. It was still 100% new and had serious lock stick ... so I just did not warm up to it and finally sold with a considerable loss on eBay ...

Had the lock been fine and me not worried about my ability to resell it after some use, then I would have 100% got custom scales from Aratech. Maybe if the original scales where just not 2D super basic two slabs of G10 I would have liked it more. But that handle was just everything but comfortable. Plus the forward finger choil felt too shallow and cramped (even for my skinny fingers). Now just few weeks later I am looking at Para 3s and wonder should I have kept it ... would have the lock stick worked itself out ... would I be more happy with the LW ... or should I get that Cruwear PM2 after all ... why is this so complicated! :p

I got the Rex 45 Chief which I may or may not keep for the long run, but at least I decided to give it a use I bought it for and see whether I like it. As a user it is great, love the smooth back lock, but the impression in hand is so-so (because apparently my skinny hands with fingers of a past piano player would prefer a bit thicker, 3D shaped handles)

But that Para3 design ... just love the look of it ...oh well ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...