Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 pm
There's a unique metal backspacer that gives the knife a more premium feel. I think more FRN models should come with one.
this this this

It also contributes to the extremely sturdy built of the Chap (for its thinness): Handle is actually all metal (lockbar, backspacer, liners) with some very thin FRN slabs... No flex at all in this knife.

I have to say it: Not only the blade, but also (and in a way perhaps even more so) this extremely sturdy handle would lend itself to a larger version (since flex can become more of an issue in longer handles, just by physics / leverage)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You all need to get your hands on the HH UKPK...you'll forget all about the Chaparral, I know for me that knife obsoleted the Chap and made it easy to sell.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 am
You all need to get your hands on the HH UKPK...you'll forget all about the Chaparral, I know for me that knife obsoleted the Chap and made it easy to sell.

I´d certainly be interested!!

But- just in theory, never had a UKPK! - doubt that it could beat the Chap for me (in the areas I like the Chap so much):

- UKPK: Blade 25% thicker: Sure, thickness behind the edge and several more parameters contribute to great slicing performance: But a thin blade is one groundwork for that that is very hard to achieve diy (making the whole blade thinner I mean).

- And one point where the Chap wins for me hands down: It has a lock (and one of the best I ever experienced).
This is important for me, since the Chap is also my hard use, little outdoor and bushcraft folder, just cause the thin blade performs so well in that capacity too: And for that "harder" use, including perhaps some minor drilling and stabbing, I really want a lock, even in a knife where I have a finger in the choil anyway. In that kind of use the blade actually could collapse on you - nothing you´d want in the remote outdoors... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I just picked up the UKPK Bd1n today and it's certainly a sweet little knife. I don't see it replacing my Chap anytime soon.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I just picked up the UKPK Bd1n today and it's certainly a sweet little knife. I don't see it replacing my Chap anytime soon.
The HH version had a few extra touches to it ;) I'm just partial since it's my favorite knife in that smaller size category.

-Rick
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The HH version had a few extra touches to it ;) I'm just partial since it's my favorite knife in that smaller size category.
Yeah I was reading about the HH version last night. Does any other Spyderco exclusive have the logo engraved like it does?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Yeah I was reading about the HH version last night. Does any other Spyderco exclusive have the logo engraved like it does?
Yep, there's a few different collaborations that have their own personal touches. Just because I was carrying it yesterday, the Smock comes to mind. Pretty cool when they do that and it's something small that doesn't take away from the design.

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
There's a unique metal backspacer that gives the knife a more premium feel. I think more FRN models should come with one.
this this this

Converting Golden models would be a good start.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:25 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
this this this

Golden can do it! Did so with the UKPK I referenced above. Such a classy, clean look with that full length backspacer!

Also Gernot, no need to worry about no lock on this baby...utilizing the finger choil makes it impossible to close on your fingers, as well as aiding in being one of the most ergonomically comfortable knives Spyderco has out there! It also takes a bit of pressure to close it, even though it doesn't have a lock. I honestly think you'd like that knife if you're able to get a chance at one when its released again.

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the CF Chap. It is awesome but I wish it was a little bigger and more hand filling. In some ways that just makes it a Sage except for the Sage’s thicker stock. I would love a bigger chap or a Sage4 with a 2mm blade. When will we start seeing larger knives with 2mm stock?

The UKPK is basically a slipjoint Caly3 which I have a few of. The Caly3 is near EDC perfection IMO.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 pm
When will we start seeing larger knives with 2mm stock?
Can we get a Golden backlock like this please?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:33 pm
kobold wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
this this this

Golden can do it! Did so with the UKPK I referenced above. Such a classy, clean look with that full length backspacer!

Also Gernot, no need to worry about no lock on this baby...utilizing the finger choil makes it impossible to close on your fingers, as well as aiding in being one of the most ergonomically comfortable knives Spyderco has out there! It also takes a bit of pressure to close it, even though it doesn't have a lock. I honestly think you'd like that knife if you're able to get a chance at one when its released again.
That UKPK looks so nice!!!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

That ukpk with full backspacer looks nice.

While I like the ukpk, the chaparral still provides a couple more benfits for my liking. A little thinner overall including blade thickness, a little shorter, liners, and the backlock - I really prefer a lock the older I get. The feel and usability is something special for something so thin and small.

The ukpk is something I consider more delica sized, which the photos below show. Some folks consider the delica small, I tend to view the delica/ukpk/native size as more the upper limit for clipless pocket carry. The ukpk shines in that size, lighter than the delica, thinner than the native, and it is legal in more locations worldwide..

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
kobold wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
this this this

I’m doing an lc200n bladeswap the SECOND that HH ukpk hits.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
kobold wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Rick, you are 100% right when we are talking "regular", more "urban" EDC and use. The UKPK will work perfectly well for this, be even lighter than the Chap and, being a slipjoint, more convenient to operate.

But there is a reason why I always say that the Chap is far more than "just" a light duty "gents" knife. I use it in the outdoors a lot, and there it might be that I hold it in a reversed grip or farther back on the handle for stabbing, poking or just for more reach, in prolongued use I might switch from the finger-in-the-choil grip to a 3 finger grip behind the choil occasionally for a change and comfort and so on. That´s why I really want a lock on a small folder that I use like I do use the Chap.

For my regular EDC: The pic of your UKPK is really intriguing... :rolleyes: If I were more into small knives and/or planned for a larger collection, I´d certainly get one.
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

I just got my first Chaparral, FRN. As I chase perfection, I get fractionally closer to it. I’ve decidedly understand that I prefer the forward choil design. It started with the Para 3 LW, continued with Sage 5 LW, and now to the Chaparral. On a small pocket knife, the choil helps position the knife into the sweet spot of the hand more consistently. This is especially important on a daily carry that pops in and out of the pocket frequently. Larger blades tend to stay out of the pocket for extended periods of time when they are working so the choil is less important. The significant smaller handle than say the Para 3 results in only marginally less useful blade size, so the trade is worth it. Chaparral isn’t imposing in size or design, but is handsome in its own right. Like Sal has mentioned, the edge is the main part of a knife, everything in-between connects the edge to the hand. The Chaparral feels like it simplifies all of that in-between stuff to make it feel like it’s more just your hand and the cutting edge. I should have gotten a Chaparral a long time ago.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I hope they do a polished micarta handle (think dozier fixed blades), or even a nice fluted cf handle one day.

So far the stepped titanium and the sun and moon are my favorites. Can't wait to see more variants

The chaparral actually reminds me more of the urban than ukpk. I love how the butt end is terminated on both.
z1r

Post by z1r »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 pm
...... I should have gotten a Chaparral a long time ago.
I know that feeling and agree. So glad I stumbled upon one at the SFO a short time ago. Now I want an FRN version as it will be used as my primary EDC.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm late to the LW Chaparral party but I'm glad I finally arrived. What an interesting knife and unique in the Spyderco lineup. I've not encountered high quality FRN like this before, it's a wonderful scale material, and the subtle "two directions" pattern on the grip is a pleasure.

If you don't have an FRN Chap, the grip is difficult to describe: the little hex patterns make it grippy in all directions, but the front half is especially grippy as you push your thumb forward toward the blade; the back half is grippier as you pull your fingers back. Yet the difference in the pattern is subtle enough that the directionality is not visible on a quick look.

I was also surprised at the heft. It's only 2 oz but feels heavier. It doesn't feel lightweight--must be the nested liners. Weight the same as the considerably larger Caly Jr.

The slender cross section of just 7mm is a huge benefit for my needs; I have been wearing a minimalist "phone pocket" that has a tiny zippered pocket into which the Chap just fits. I prefer knives with at least 3" blades but I feel well-knifed with the Chaparral onboard.
Attachments
Phone Belt Chaparral.jpg