Stretch 2 ZDP Combo Edge DIY?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LarryInLex

Stretch 2 ZDP Combo Edge DIY?

Post by LarryInLex »

Hey All: I've got a small Spyderco collection and I've decided to edc my Stretch 2 FRN ZDP-189 knife this summer. I love the ergos on the knife. When I got it, the blade had a mirror-edge finish on it that felt really sharp. Reading the low-grit sharpening thread made me curious, so I refinished it with my Sharpmaker diamond rods. I like the toothiness of the edge now for slicing tomatoes and rope, but when I went to whittle a slingshot for my boy I found that it wouldn't bite into the wood the same way it used to. I finished the job with my trusty Mora stainless.

So - what if I create my own combo edge by micro-beveling the forward-most (curved) inch with the brown and white Sharpmaker rods, but leaving the low-grit edge on the straight part of the blade nearest the handle? Anybody do this? Is there a general consensus on what type of edge works best on ZDP?
LarryInLex

Re: Stretch 2 ZDP Combo Edge DIY?

Post by LarryInLex »

Update: I put my "mullet" edge on last night. Slicey on the front, aggressive on the back. I think I'm going to like it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hi, welcome aboard!

This thread could be of some use to you: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89353

I like your idea of using two different grit levels on the same blade. It's clever, practical, and affordable!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cool idea - never would have thought of that!

The ZDP Stretch was my primary EDC for years. What I enjoyed most about ZDP is how long it holds a highly refined edge. Worth it to go all the way to ultra fine I think!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Super edge video on this very topic a double edge knife in crazy hard steel
https://youtu.be/jPIJkXfUg5E
https://youtu.be/ChiFWYb7_VM
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
LarryInLex

Post by LarryInLex »

Yeah I saw that video. I’m talking about having different grit edges on different parts of the blade, not different sides. I’m going to EDC mine for a while and see if I like it.
z1r

Post by z1r »

LarryInLex wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:17 pm
Yeah I saw that video. I’m talking about having different grit edges on different parts of the blade, not different sides. I’m going to EDC mine for a while and see if I like it.
I'm looking forward to your feedback on how the course/fine blade works. Sounds a lot easier than adding serrations to a blade. Plus, i think it's a novel way to discover which edge type a particular blade prefers. Great idea.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

This is a great idea. I’ve never done a combo finish of this sort, but I have used my ZDP Delica finished everywhere from 300 grit up to 1500 grit with 4 micron stropping and it performed very well at each finish. I currently have mine at a 1200 grit diamond finish and it cuts like the dickens but still has some tooth to it. Love the steel.

Edit: my edge angle is about 12-13 dps and I’ve had no issues with chipping.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You can also intentionally sharpen the bevel at an angle so that the teeth of the edge are pointing forwards for more aggressive push cuts or backwards for pull cuts.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David