A Larger Scale Dodo Model? PLEASE!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: A Larger Scale Dodo Model? PLEASE!!!

Post by Evil D »

I would definitely give it a shot. The original Dodo just doesn't do it for me (I know, heresy) but a larger version might.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hambone wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:09 pm
Although I would absolutely look hard at a xl version; I would really like a new release period.
Sure I want both myself. I want more of the orginal ( especially in SE) and a bigger version as well.

There are just so many more tough cutting jobs you could do with a bigger version of the Dodo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:51 am
I would definitely give it a shot. The original Dodo just doesn't do it for me (I know, heresy) but a larger version might.
I've just got a gut feeling that a bigger version maybe something close to double the size of the one we've got would enable the user to take on harder cutting jobs. Because like I said earlier that a larger, thicker blade and a handle with more bulk would enable you to do more rough and demanding cutting jobs.

I would think that it wouldn't take Eric very long to draw up plans for a bigger Dodo. If nothing else they should at least do a Prototype and take it to a few shows just to see how well all the Spyderco fans would like it. I bet it would go over really well.

There are a few Spyderco models that I've always thought that either a bigger or smaller version would really do well with end line users. But the Dodo is one that needs more size and bulk to appreciate more of it's capability.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

The reverse S blade is something I've never tried but definitely want too. I almost pulled the trigger on a Cricket a few different times. The only reason I don't have a Dodo is the crazy second hand prices. It's got a variant of the ball bearing lock that I've never tried only the caged style in the Manix 2. I often look at the Q-ball and D'alarra but love the looks of the Dodo more and would pick one up if it gets a new run especially a larger one.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Interesting. I think the Dodo is about as perfect as it can get as a production knife. A genius design. I have the orange S30v sprint.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Interesting. I think the Dodo is about as perfect as it can get as a production knife. A genius design. I have the orange S30v sprint.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

If you’re gonna make the scales larger, might as well make the blade larger too
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:39 pm
The reverse S blade is something I've never tried but definitely want too. I almost pulled the trigger on a Cricket a few different times. The only reason I don't have a Dodo is the crazy second hand prices. It's got a variant of the ball bearing lock that I've never tried only the caged style in the Manix 2. I often look at the Q-ball and D'alarra but love the looks of the Dodo more and would pick one up if it gets a new run especially a larger one.
This my friend would be a CRICKET with much more muscle and a hint of steroids. AS agile as the Cricket model is for it's size it still wouldn't begin to compete with a larger scale version of the Dodo model.

If a bigger Dodo model were to become a reality I think the demand for the original to return would shortly follow>> at much more reasonable prices I might add.

In the past year I turned down an offer for a "user" Full SE Dodo model for slightly over $200 :eek: Even I have my limits.

But a larger Dodo with a possible Compression lock or they could keep the Ball Bearing lock for that matter would give us a great folder for hard jobs. As far as the locking system goes I would be all right with whatever the people would decide. A Larger Dodo model I do believe could be a user's dream folder. And the blade length that would pass even in the most draconian jurisdictions.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 am
Absolutely!!! I hope you all didn't misunderstand me>> because I most certainly would want a larger scale blade in tandem with every other component being larger. I would want the blade wider, longer and maybe even slightly thicker as well. And with a set of Spyder TEETH ( full SE) you could have a work knife that would be capable of all kinds of demanding cutting jobs.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am

In the past year I turned down an offer for a "user" Full SE Dodo model for slightly over $200 :eek: Even I have my limits.

But a larger Dodo with a possible Compression lock or they could keep the Ball Bearing lock for that matter would give us a great folder for hard jobs. As far as the locking system goes I would be all right with whatever the people would decide. A Larger Dodo model I do believe could be a user's dream folder. And the blade length that would pass even in the most draconian jurisdictions.
When I see them on ebay they're close to $400usd. The short blade of the original would keep me from buying it if one did come up cheap. I would want to see a larger one keep the ball bearing lock but if the comp lock would keep costs down then go for it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:57 pm

A larger Dodo ( especially in full SE) would be a beast for many type cutting jobs and it would be a dream folder for the commercial fishing industry and I'm willing to bet that many of the great firefighters we have here on the Forum would love a bigger Dodo model for their demanding job as well. A bigger Dodo model in full SE would also have a lot of great outdoor uses to it as well. But a bigger version of the Dodo would be a super EDC folder for guys who work construction and many other demanding jobs. Yes a bigger version of the Dodo model I do believe would be well received. What say you all????
I doubt either user base wants a very expensive knife that is difficult, if not impossible, to unlock with gloves on, or with cold fingers. I read on the forum here a few years back that some commercial fishermen use Sypderco SE kitchen knives on boats. Inexpensive, good grip in the wet, ready for action immediately, and SE cuts well. Firefighters might use an expensive knife, right until it has to be disposed of due to contamination.

My personal opinion is that the Dodo always seemed like a really expensive linoleum knife. A bigger version would have even less appeal to me.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am
aaronkb wrote:
Absolutely!!! I hope you all didn't misunderstand me>> because I most certainly would want a larger scale blade in tandem with every other component being larger. I would want the blade wider, longer and maybe even slightly thicker as well. And with a set of Spyder TEETH ( full SE) you could have a work knife that would be capable of all kinds of demanding cutting jobs.
I was just making an obnoxious joke about “larger scale” ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

aaronkb wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am
aaronkb wrote:
I was just making an obnoxious joke about “larger scale” ;)
It's all good. It's like the late Elizabeth Taylor always said "All publicity is good publicity">> if it gets us one step closer to a larger sized Dodo model then it's all good with me for sure.

A bigger Dodo in SE would be a workman's dream folder to EDC for work each day.