Most Favored Spyderco Collaborator(s) To Return?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Most Favored Spyderco Collaborator(s) To Return?

Post by JD Spydo »

Just recently I've been going through my footlocker and I've been admiring some of my "Old School/GoLDEN ERA models in my collection. As I've said so many times in the past that many of my favorite Spyderco models have been from the "Old School" models which mostly came out of what I affectionately like to call "The Golden Era of SPYDERS (1998-2004). And many of those older collaborators that Spyderco worked with still continue to be among my favorites to this day.

With the highly anticipated return of the C-60 Massad Ayoob model on the horizon I've also been taking a hard look at some of the other great Collaborators that Spyderco has worked with in the past as well as a few others that came later on. Some of the past Spyderco collaborators that I personally would love to see return again with possibly new or even modified older Spyderco collaboration models would include "JD Smith", Howard Viele, Laci Szabo and Fred Perrin just to name a few.

I'm sure you all have your own personal favorites from those past collaborations that Spyderco built much of their reputation on. I would like to hear about some of your personal favorite Spyderco collaborators that you would love to see return with possibly even new designs or even modified versions of their old designs. So let's chat about some of these great collaborators that Spyderco has worked with.

Also if there are new, up & coming knife designers that you feel could work great with Spyderco I would love to talk about them as well. Some of those past genius designers have unfortunately passed away like Bob Lum and Jess Horn but I still wouldn't mind seeing their great designs return again as well. I would love to see Laci Szabo and Michael Janich work together to create an ultimate "Wharncliffe" SD knife>> OK let's talk about collaborators :) past & present
vivi

Re: Most Favored Spyderco Collaborator(s) To Return?

Post by vivi »

FRED PERRIN :D

Szabo as my runner up.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Phil Wilson.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Massad Ayoob (Ayoob)
Ulrich Hennicke (Ulize)
Fred Perrin (Street Beat)
Michael Janich (Yojimbo/Yojumbo)

Seems like at least the Ayoob revival is happening but I'd love to see that design updated and expanded on.

The Ulize I could swear there was talk of a smaller version and a fixed blade at some point.

The Street Beat is probably my all time favorite small fixed blade but I wish it were offered in more steel/handle combos. It's far more than just a self defense knife.

Michael Janich I think has more golden nuggets in his brain to give us, even if they're just more updates to those two models.

I'd still be interested in a "StriderCo"

I'd still be interested in a "SpyBenza"
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

If Spyderco did an SNG with a proper opening hole and no massive sharpening notch, I'd buy one.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

McNee's
Would love to see his Trakerjacker and Microhawk knives, or a new design.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here's where I show my loyalties, my favorite designer is Sal. :)

That said, I think Gayle Bradley and Phil Wilson are my favorite Spyderco collaborators so far.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:16 pm
Massad Ayoob (Ayoob)
Ulrich Hennicke (Ulize)
Fred Perrin (Street Beat)
Michael Janich (Yojimbo/Yojumbo)

Seems like at least the Ayoob revival is happening but I'd love to see that design updated and expanded on.

The Ulize I could swear there was talk of a smaller version and a fixed blade at some point.

The Street Beat is probably my all time favorite small fixed blade but I wish it were offered in more steel/handle combos. It's far more than just a self defense knife.

Michael Janich I think has more golden nuggets in his brain to give us, even if they're just more updates to those two models.

I'd still be interested in a "StriderCo"

I'd still be interested in a "SpyBenza"
In regards to the upcoming C-60 Ayoob model I won't change a thing. But at some point I would like to encourage Massad Ayoob to do another folder design. He did so great on that C-60 I just know in my gut that he's got more ideas where that one came from. For a first folder design that C-60 is better than what many knife designers come up with in an entire lifetime.

And we're on the same page with the ULIZE but I do want to see one with TEETH this next go-around :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm

That said, I think Gayle Bradley and Phil Wilson are my favorite Spyderco collaborators so far.
Well Brother you and I would wear the same "Choir Robes" :cool: Because for years I've been singing the praises of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs. But I won't limit it to Sal alone because Eric Glesser has also come up with some sterling IN HOUSE designs himself :cool: The Dodo is still one of my most favorite Specialty type knives I've ever owned and used. I just at some point would like to see them do a larger scale version of the Dodo>> and to do another run of full SE Dodo models too.

But Sal's C-54 big Calypso, Temperance 1 & 2, as well as most of the other Calypso designs should all be displayed in a "HALL OF FAME" if Spyderco ever puts one together >> all of those are "Super-Classics to be sure No argument here at all Brother but just don't forget what Brother ERIC Glesser has done for us as well :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey VIVI and EVIL D both>> I think I could get both you guys to agree on this one. It would be so cool to have Michael Janich and Fred Perrin to both get together for about a month and see what type of tactical Wharncliffe designs they could come up with. Because I've not yet seen any Wharnies that I could properly define as "Tactical Wharnies". And those two guys together could come up with a design that would fit that title precisely..

And I totally agree with VIVI on just about anything that Laci Szabo has done over the years. I've had the privilege of meeting and chatting with Laci Szabo at two of the BLADE Shows and that guy is top notch all the way with tactical blades>> and he has a vast knowledge of all kinds of different blades. A lot of people act as though they don't believe me when I tell them this>> but at one time Laci Szabo had a set of kitchen/culinary knives that were just absolutely awesome in one of their catalogs ( SzaboInc.com).

You just wouldn't even think that a guy who is a complete expert in tactical blades to come up with a super set of culinary blades>> But they were really a nice looking set of kitchen/food/culinary blades.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

Nati Amor - smaller\thinner Subvert with a finger choil.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How about something new from Terzuola?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:40 pm
How about something new from Terzuola?
That's a name I haven't heard come up in a while. That Starmate model used to have a huge cult following on the forum at one time. But you don't hear much about it lately.

My favorite of his were those very first C-15 and C-19 models. His designs sure played a big part in taking Spyderco to another new level during their development.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Haven't had anything new from Ed Schempp for a while...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

RJ Martin - something that the taichung factory can show off their cnc skills with
osprey

Post by osprey »

Frank Centofante, Gayle Bradley, and Phil Wilson
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Hossom too!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The collaboration I favor most is the one between Sal and Eric.

Had the Tenacious not resulted from that collaboration, I probably would not be here. Naturally, I want their collaboration to continue.

As to other collaborators, I have enjoyed Jess Horn’s Horn2; Jason Breeden’s Captain; Mas Ayoob’s Ayoob; Jens Ansø’s Zulu and Pingo; Gayle Bradley’s Bradley Folder and Air; Ed Schempp’s Kris and Balance; Ulrich Hennicke’s Ulize; Ralph Turnbull’s T-Mag; Marcin Slysz’s SpydieChef and Techno2; Alistair Phillips’ Kapara; and Lance Clinton’s Siren. But, I’m not especially keen to get any of their other models (except for Ansø’s Rock Lobster).

Nor am I hoping they will offer new models. I'm really more interested in stumbling upon past (and future) collaborators I don’t yet know.

Their models give me a satisfying alternative to the current trend of putting the same steel plus same color, or range of blade-shapes, into every popular model.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Phil Wilson, please. :)
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm

+1, my most carried over the years have been in-house, with Delicas, Enduras, and PM2s, but for external collaborators I really like my GB1, GB2, Junction, and Sprig and would like to see more from Bradley and Wilson.